Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #41
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
best thing ever - an independent ice maker.

az-streamer
I had no idea they made those.... now I am going to do some research

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #42
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Uni-Taskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenh2 View Post
Nicki,

I've seen those Enamel plates you got and they are very sharp looking! We've dropped our Corelle plates more than once, even bouncing off of the edge of the countertop and then hitting the floor and not broken one yet. I do know they will break. My mom has had a set for many years and I managed to break at least one of them when I was younger. I had to work at it though!

We try and avoid "uni-taskers": things that are only good for one task. Of course there is always the exception, like the Martini shaker or the corkscrew. The electric skillet is very versatile. My resourceful wife recently found one at Goodwill for $5 (they guaranteed it to work and it did).

Great input from everyone. I'll find a way to put several to use. We're looking for a good spice rack. Will check out Ikea.

Stephen
My mom had a set of corelle for more years than I can remember as a kid. We did lose a few pieces but she had the majority of them until she gave them away.

Avoid uni-taskers- that is a good idea. Packing this thing the first time is going to take careful thought.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #43
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
This Part is Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Nicki, Since you have 2 little ones, a pizza pan (whole wheat homemade dough & allergy sensitve toppings). A cookie sheet, and don't forget measuring cups & spoons. Add in a go to cookbook. Did anyone mention potholders, a table cloth, napkins etc.
We also have our martini and wine glasses with a martini shaker. Oh an ice cube trays for the freezer so you have ice to mix the martinis/ Hoope you are having fun putting all this together. I sure have been having a great time outfitting our a/s.
Susan
Susan,
you caught a very important item... the pizza pan! Also the potholders, someone had mentioned hot pads, but I had forgotten the potholders!
We have actually just started the outfitting, and yes it's fun. Prior to this I was making gaucho covers!
Nicki

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #44

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I have a Bambi so no room for an ice maker. I have 3 ice trays and a storage container that holds the ice from 3 trays so I always have enough ice. I fill the container and ice trays before I leave and it works fine. I made a list of things I needed before our maiden voyage by room(bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and out door etc) and still had to buy some stuff I missed. Since I have a small sink and like to boondock I bought 2 plastic tubs to do dishes in to save from having to dump the grey tank.

Have fun!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #45

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I love the progress on your blog! Here are some pics of the spice rack and new faucet from Ikea. We got inspired by Ikea, the $3.99 rug started it all! We had lime green cushions and hated the color so we had http://www.tbrich.com/azbambi/decors.html recover them for us at a great price and added the spice rack and faucet from Ikea. Also all of our bedding came from clearance deals from Macys (I travel for work and am in Malls every week so I peiced it together from several stores), the rest came from TJ Maxx, Marshals and Target . I am thinking about replacing the vinal floor but that will be next Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfabric.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	108812   Click image for larger version

Name:	spicerack.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	108813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bedding.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	108814  
Attached Images

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #46
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
I love the progress on your blog! Here are some pics of the spice rack and new faucet from Ikea. We got inspired by Ikea, the $3.99 rug started it all! We had lime green cushions and hated the color so we had http://www.tbrich.com/azbambi/decors.html recover them for us at a great price and added the spice rack and faucet from Ikea. Also all of our bedding came from clearance deals from Macys (I travel for work and am in Malls every week so I peiced it together from several stores), the rest came from TJ Maxx, Marshals and Target . I am thinking about replacing the vinal floor but that will be next Spring.
Not sure about the ice machine, I have it on my to be considered list. Until we have the new fridge installed I have no idea what I will need. However, the ice machine is an intriguing option, but the portable washing machine will probably be more a priority.

You have reminded me that I need to take some pictures. We have purchased some rugs for the floor and I think I may have to re-dye the living room gaucho. I am going to take the cushions out today as well as hang the shower curtain.. it's all getting exciting!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Porcelain sinks and tile floors break Corelle plates easliy. Don't ask how i know.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #48
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Porcelain sinks and tile floors break Corelle plates easliy. Don't ask how i know.
I won't ask how you know but how many got broken???

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Packing this thing the first time is going to take careful thought.[/QUOTE]

Don't stress too much about the packing, unless your first trip will be far from a town. We found some stuff the first trip out we needed to add, but we were not too far from town, so we made a list and quick trip to the store.
Also we have been learning as we go. I used to carry small jars of mustard, ketchup and mayo. also small jars of sweet & dill pickels. Found at a local restuarant supply type shop the individual packets of mustard, mayo, ketchup and dill pickels ( like the kind you find in fast food places). The good thing about that is they don't have to be refrigerated, so each trip we just throw a handfull of eeach into tupperware container and put in a cabinet.
Each trip seems to have a thing we wished we had, but made due, and things we figure we may never use, take out.
Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Your Bambi is looking great...great job!...It's great fun, isn't it?? ...TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #51
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Packing this thing the first time is going to take careful thought.
Don't stress too much about the packing, unless your first trip will be far from a town. We found some stuff the first trip out we needed to add, but we were not too far from town, so we made a list and quick trip to the store.
Also we have been learning as we go. I used to carry small jars of mustard, ketchup and mayo. also small jars of sweet & dill pickels. Found at a local restuarant supply type shop the individual packets of mustard, mayo, ketchup and dill pickels ( like the kind you find in fast food places). The good thing about that is they don't have to be refrigerated, so each trip we just throw a handfull of eeach into tupperware container and put in a cabinet.
Each trip seems to have a thing we wished we had, but made due, and things we figure we may never use, take out.
Susan[/QUOTE]

You have a very good point. There is just so much to think about when you first get it....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #52
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
He's right. It looks really cool. What type of flooring will you use?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
I bought a couple of stainless steel containers from a local restaurant supply shop (They're rectangle, about 9" x 5" and about 3" deep with a lid). We cook outside a good bit (on the Coleman stove- another fav.), and these containers are invaluable to keep goodies warm in the outside. Wouldn't travel without them.

From the same shop, we bought several cafeteria trays, which are great when taking food, etc. in and out of the trailer. If you have access to a good restaurant supply store, check it out. You'll find all kinds of useful (cheap) gadgets!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #54
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nicki

As you can see from the posts everyone has their own way of doing things that works for their cooking pattern.

There are really only a couple of "secrets" that are actually RV-specific.

Corelle, as mentioned upthread, is an excellent material. It is made of tempered glass and is nearly unbreakable, and lasts longer and looks better than melamine, and is unaffected by heat. They are thin and stack well. Unless you mostly use paper plates you should try a set. Either the square or round work fine, it's a matter of taste. Note that the mugs and many of the serving pieces that match the plates are stoneware and will break easily so it's mainly the plates you want to use.

Instead of glassware many people use polycarbonate or stainless steel. You can get polycarbonate wine glasses, and stainless steel wineglasses. Some people use heavier glassware and wrap it but breakage can still take place (emergency stops e.g.) and it's a huge hassle when it does.

I do have a few glass items but they travel in the bottom of the coat closet so I don't have to worry so much about glass shards getting into the food if something breaks.

In a larger trailer like yours nesting pans are not strictly necessary. Most people find that they want full-size household-type housewares for a few key items that they use daily; for me it's the teapot, frying pan, muffin tin, and toaster -- but that is a poor combination for most people. I would encourage you to start small and use extra items from your house or inexpensive stuff until you figure out what you really want.

A final note is that with water conservation nearly always being a priority I find it worthwhile to take extra dishcloths and towels and will often wipe out a greasy pan or other item with a dry towel rather than go through a bunch of hot water and soap to get it clean. The towel goes in the laundry bin, and depending on the item I can wash it with minimal water use. I've saved maybe half a gallon of water just by bringing one extra towel.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #55
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Nicki

As you can see from the posts everyone has their own way of doing things that works for their cooking pattern.

There are really only a couple of "secrets" that are actually RV-specific.

Corelle, as mentioned upthread, is an excellent material. It is made of tempered glass and is nearly unbreakable, and lasts longer and looks better than melamine, and is unaffected by heat. They are thin and stack well. Unless you mostly use paper plates you should try a set. Either the square or round work fine, it's a matter of taste. Note that the mugs and many of the serving pieces that match the plates are stoneware and will break easily so it's mainly the plates you want to use.

Instead of glassware many people use polycarbonate or stainless steel. You can get polycarbonate wine glasses, and stainless steel wineglasses. Some people use heavier glassware and wrap it but breakage can still take place (emergency stops e.g.) and it's a huge hassle when it does.

I do have a few glass items but they travel in the bottom of the coat closet so I don't have to worry so much about glass shards getting into the food if something breaks.

In a larger trailer like yours nesting pans are not strictly necessary. Most people find that they want full-size household-type housewares for a few key items that they use daily; for me it's the teapot, frying pan, muffin tin, and toaster -- but that is a poor combination for most people. I would encourage you to start small and use extra items from your house or inexpensive stuff until you figure out what you really want.

A final note is that with water conservation nearly always being a priority I find it worthwhile to take extra dishcloths and towels and will often wipe out a greasy pan or other item with a dry towel rather than go through a bunch of hot water and soap to get it clean. The towel goes in the laundry bin, and depending on the item I can wash it with minimal water use. I've saved maybe half a gallon of water just by bringing one extra towel.
On the drinking cups, I really don't want to clean up broken glass and I am a bit ... careless/clumsy so I will be looking at the other options.

I think I will take your idea of "borrowing" from the house until we get some idea of what/how much we will use. From what you are saying though, we need to figure out what we absolutely can't live without everyday... coffee! Probably the toaster too.

As for the nesting pots, the cook (Shawn) saw your post about the extra space we have and agrees with you. So that opens his options a bit more on the pots.

On the water conservation, as we've only had her out once and that was without kids and we are complete newbies, I am clueless. However, your idea does make a lot of sense.

Thanks to you all for answering!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Jammer makes some good points. Something else we are careful about is to wipe dirty pans and dishes with a paper towel before we wash them, so as little "stuff" goes into the grey tank as possible...the less grease and gunk that goes in the grey tank, the cleaner it will stay over time. You'll be surprised how nasty grey water can get over time and a few hot days. Many days we only wash dishes once a day...especially if we are dry camping and using paper plates to conserve water... We just stash them in a dish pan and wash in the evening...then use the dish water to drown the camp fire. In many campgrounds it's OK to dump "fresh" dishwater...but once it's in the grey tank that's a no-no because there it has the chance for bacteria to grow.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we also use paper towels to wipe out pans before washing them, but since you are talking about kitchens, I bought a plastic tub and a plastic dish rack that fits inside of my sinks. Since the gray tank fills up much faster than the black tank, we wash the dishes in the plastic tub and dump the dish water into the toilet. [when boondocking]
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You can go to Goodwill type stores and find the good old American made kitchen supply's. The new china stuff is absolutly junk, they can't even make a can opener that works right. You have to be paitent and make several trips shopping until you find all that you need. You can also find period correct stuff for older campers.
I'm a vintage person, myself, and can't imagine wanting a microwave in my trailer. I have learned, also, that I don't want anything breakable. I also don't even have paper plates and plastic utensils in there, as I don't want to add to the world's waste.....

I like to boondock, so I like to be prepared if I run out of water, or power. Here are some things I wouldn't want to be without:

--biodegradable "camping" dish liquid
--vintage, unbreakable plates, bowls, glasses
--insulated coffee cups
--lexan french press
--lots of ground coffee in a screw top jar (can't grind my beans without power)
--unbreakable insulated carafe (the dogs broke my "breakable" one last weekend!)
--tea kettle
--gallon bottles of spring water
--teflon coated griddle, frying pan, and one good-sized pot with cover
--four battery operated folding fans & extra batteries
--two-three battery operated lanterns
--folding buckets for moving water, and a large plastic funnel
--good quality, hand operated can opener
--good quality corkscrew......(It is a drag to break a plastic one, out in the middle of nowhere)
--long handled grill, for cooking over the fire
--tin foil
--silicone folding collander
--salt & pepper with snap tops (lots of rice in the salt shaker)
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #59
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
No Gray Water Tank....yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we also use paper towels to wipe out pans before washing them, but since you are talking about kitchens, I bought a plastic tub and a plastic dish rack that fits inside of my sinks. Since the gray tank fills up much faster than the black tank, we wash the dishes in the plastic tub and dump the dish water into the toilet. [when boondocking]
Our 1971 doesn't have a gray water tank... at least not yet. I have been thinking of getting a wash basin for longer trips, sounds like it might be a good idea!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #60
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
[QUOTE=pinktrailer;883780]I'm a vintage person, myself, and can't imagine wanting a microwave in my trailer. I have learned, also, that I don't want anything breakable. I also don't even have paper plates and plastic utensils in there, as I don't want to add to the world's waste.....
--lots of ground coffee in a screw top jar (can't grind my beans without power)

Since our A/S is vintage also and our oven still works we are going to try microwaveless and see how we like it!

Let me recommend the old coffee mill grinder. We use one everyday!

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen