Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavery View Post
What do the pros recommend to keep my granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, spice rubs, etc. from hardening in the container in hot/humid climates? The plastic jars they come in won't do it.
Put rice in the containers with the spices or salt. The rice absorbs the water and helps the other stuff in the container stay un-clumpy.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Flower Mound , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
A few of our favorite kitchen things:

Magnetic-base Spice Tins (see pic #1)...stick them to the side of the range hood and move to the stove top when traveling... Bed Bath & Beyond, World Market ~$1.50 ea

Fagor 15-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set (see pic #2)...It's all we need. They nest, they are a good weight, there are 2 detachable handles, the frying pan is nonstick, the lids are also strainers, they each have plastic lids for storing food... Amazon.com, Camping World ~$75

Snapware (see pic #3)... Stack well to utilizes space in frig and cabinets very well, good seals, microwave safe ~$25 for a set of 32 pieces...Costco, order on line...

Farberware Stainless Coffee Percolator (see pic #4)... Makes great coffee... ~$20 Here's 1 source: FarberWare Farberware Classic Yosemite Stainless Steel Percolator - Reviews & Prices @ Yahoo! Shopping

We also carry a toaster, a 1-up electric waffle iron, a teapot (all stainless steel)...

We also have Corelle Simple Lines, and we have a couple of sets of plastic dishes as well...(we one set at a time...it depends on our décor for the trip)...but frankly, when we are dry camping or boon docking we use paper to cut down on dish washing and to conserve water...

Have fun with it!
Wow, I love the magnetic spice containers. I saw those at BB&B but couldn't figure out where they would "stick". I'm going out tomorrow to buy some. Thanks for the great idea!
JandDcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
On the subject of toasters--if without power, anyone have any suggestions other than the little pop-up cheapie type that manage to dry & fry the bread instead of toasting it? Any other stove-top versions that work better?
We use a skillet with low sides and use the front burner.Non-stick,works great and can be used for pancakes
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #104
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
To protect my dishes and give them a cushy ride while under tow I bought some felt from my local craft store and cut circles out of them with pinking shears. I then place the felt in between the dishes and it works very well. No broken dishes (yet).

Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have Corelle dishes and use a lid organizer in our cabinet to hold them while traveling. Works very well and no between plate cushioning needed.

We also have a set of nesting silicone bowls which serve for mixing things and storing/reheating leftovers. They are squishable, perfect in the cabinet and the fridge.

We have small hooks on the inside of cabinets, to hold a measuring spoon set, collapsible measuring cups and small spatulas. Easy to access when cooking and uses otherwise dead space.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have Corelle dishes and use a lid organizer in our cabinet to hold them while traveling. Works very well and no between plate cushioning needed.

Maggie
Hi, we also use a lid organizer to hold our Corelle dishes, but we put paper plates in-between them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Posture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I've found I can eat anything worthwhile out of a medium sized dog dish with a large tablespoon sharpened on the left edge. A boot knife works for a kitchen knife and a tin coffee cup works as a side bowl. I pack two skillets and one small sauce pan. Everything else can be done with disposable items.

One of the reasons I travel is so I can eat out. I love independents and regional mom & pop restaurants. I look for dirty pickup trucks in the parking lots. I love the south. The women are pretty and the food is good. Or is it the food is pretty and the women are good?
Do you kneel when you eat?
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hear banjos.....ever so faintly.

Seriously, simple is good.

Maggie

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen