Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
OK, guilty pleasure with some residual practical uses. Blue Bunny Premium Ice Cream comes in very nice oval plastic containers with snap-on lids. They are big enough to hold a 2 pound bag of flour and fit in the cabinets well. They're stackable and breakproof. Colorful too. I use them for canisters.

You do have to remove the ice cream first, but I can live with that.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #72
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
OK, guilty pleasure with some residual practical uses. Blue Bunny Premium Ice Cream comes in very nice oval plastic containers with snap-on lids. They are big enough to hold a 2 pound bag of flour and fit in the cabinets well. They're stackable and breakproof. Colorful too. I use them for canisters.

You do have to remove the ice cream first, but I can live with that.
That's recycling at its yummiest!!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #73
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
It might help, we posted most of our checklists including many kitchen items.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...s-19484-6.html

A couple of big coffee mugs are great for many things, we've used primiarily washable plastic dishes from IKEA. Cheap, reusable, durable, cannot break, don't hurt to bad if they fall out of a cabinet and hit you in the head, .... Toaster, electric coffee pot, old fashion grandma coffee pot to use on the propane stove (gotta have coffee!), good pots and pans (several selected from 2airs lists he posted links for above).

The best part is ask anyone you're camping near if you can poke around their kitchen for ideas. Everyone (well so far!) seems thrilled to oblige.

Good luck!
Coffee is always necessary!! The toaster keeps popping up on this list. I'll have to review that list again. People really let you poke around their kitchens.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Coffee is always necessary!! The toaster keeps popping up on this list. I'll have to review that list again. People really let you poke around their kitchens.....
Hi, coffee maker and toaster, is a must.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #75
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I have concluded that this is an evolutionary process and other than the coffemaker/toaster there is not short must have list that works for everyone.

We have packed a selection of pots/pans from the house. We got the coleman enamel ware plates to try out, and if they we don't like them they can be used as extras. We will get the rest as we figure out what we want...

Thank everyone for their advice and input... it was really appreciated!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #76
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The enamel plates are OK but don't hold up for long to daily use, and they tend to conduct heat so well that hot food gets cold and cold food gets hot. You can see what you think.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
6 inch tongs and 10 inch spring loaded tongs are a must.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #78
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Beginning Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The enamel plates are OK but don't hold up for long to daily use, and they tend to conduct heat so well that hot food gets cold and cold food gets hot. You can see what you think.
something that we had not considered.... if we don't like them for indoor use they make really good outdoor use. However, we aren't even part-timing just beginning weekend warriors so easing into it seems a bit better. If we don't enjoy it, then at least we can use the enamel plates for backyard tent camping (We being the hubby and kids) and if we do enjoy it then we'll get a nice set of corelle.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My toaster has a retractable cord. Love it!
A cool exterior is a must in close quarters and when you need to stow it.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Here's a few more thoughts. We purchased a lightweight collapsable wire/rack table that is quite sturdy. When you're brewing coffee and making toast while the temperatures are toasting you can do it all outside the trailer using your outdoor plug. Keeps the inside a tad less steamy.

We had the enamel dishes from the old camping pre-RV days and thought they'd be great. Other than the nastalgia we didn't enjoy them and they've been repacked back in the attic for a later incarnation.

A practical packing idea we saw on the forums was to stuff extra paper towel rolls in the cabinets. It really does work great at keeping toasters, coffee pots, etc. from banging around, weighs nothing and they have come in handy!

I'm not sure about the Blue Bunny idea....but how can you not try it

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Air cookie sheets if you have an oven. I found small ones at Marshals. I also put them under non-air bakeware. They eliminate the burn-on-the bottom/raw-on-the-top problem many people have with their gas ovens.

Oven thermometer. The type that hangs on the rack. I recently got one and it works great. I now know that my oven is pretty much calibrated on the mark. It was less than $4 at Walmart.

Torpedo level. Not a true kitchen item but I keep one in my silverware drawer for quick access when we level the trailer.

Fold-Tuk storage/bakeware. FoldTuk Kitchenware--Bakeware, Roaster, Space saving, Microwave safe, Foldable, Collapsible, Green
This stuff is great. You can store leftovers in them and then heat them up again in the gas oven. Cuts down on dirty dishes. I even bake small cakes in my larger one.
I have a "NO GLASS" policy in our AS and these fit the bill for heat & store in one dish.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
For what it is worth, like the previous poster I have an air cookie sheet that just fits the oven. It is used as a heat diffuser on the bottom shelf of the oven, over the burner, to reduce hot spots in the oven when not being used as a cooking surface. on top of that resides a 3 inche deep, handleless sheet steel roasting pan. Within the roasting pan reside the spaghetti pot, big SS salad bowl with lid, the lids for the cast iron fry pan and the Do-all lid, the nesting pots and lids and the spare pot holders, oven thermometer and four large vitamin bottles. My pills live in an old Tupperware box atop that mess.

Under the shelf is a splatterscreen, a cast iron griddle, a cast iron fry pan and a combo-dutch oven with fry pan cover.

All of that, along with the long tongs and long spatula for cooking on the charcoal brazier at campgrounds and picnic areas. are inside of the oven for travel and some or all removed, as needed, for cooking.

In addition to the required electric coffee pot and grinder (because that was what I had), we carry a variety of Corelle plates, bowls and mugs, wine tumblers (plastic), some plastic juice cups (double as old fashioned glasses) and some big, low soup mugs which are also the perfect hot chocolate vessel for adults. Keep in mind that we are living in this 25' Excella. We sure wish we had room for more stuff (I'm tired of ruining the cast iron's lining trying to toast bread).

One other item - we have two Pyrex bowls with covers (red) we got at Walmart. Smaller is stored, cover on, upside down in the bigger bowl. They serve as casseroles, mixing bowls, pancake batter bowls, tuna salad and mac salad bowls, and, they keep the plates from sliding round too much in the cupboard (big bowl with cover down on the plates).

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Nicki

Instead of glassware many people use polycarbonate or stainless steel. You can get polycarbonate wine glasses, and stainless steel wineglasses. Some people use heavier glassware and wrap it but breakage can still take place (emergency stops e.g.) and it's a huge hassle when it does.

I do have a few glass items but they travel in the bottom of the coat closet so I don't have to worry so much about glass shards getting into the food if something breaks.

A final note is that with water conservation nearly always being a priority I find it worthwhile to take extra dishcloths and towels and will often wipe out a greasy pan or other item with a dry towel rather than go through a bunch of hot water and soap to get it clean. The towel goes in the laundry bin, and depending on the item I can wash it with minimal water use. I've saved maybe half a gallon of water just by bringing one extra towel.
Agree with this - but two suggestions - If you want glass wineglasses, buy cheap heavier ones and store each in a tube sock. If one breaks the tube sock contains the shards neatly, but do store in a low protected area.

Wiping out greasy pans with a towel. Instead used crumpled newspaper - then store it in a tightly closed metal can as a fire starter. One match and you smell bacon instantly! Drool.... uuum b-a-c-o-n.... (bye!)

Paula
Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I know somebody else who is VERY interested in what your packing....These guys! Ha! !

Just take some Gorilla Tape and double it back on itself...then stick them where you know they are hiding...dark warm places.
They get stuck real quick...you can't hear them yelling, But their friends can. And they follow right into the trap also.
Then when the tapes' job is done just take it out of place and throw it in the yard or trash.
You weren't expecting this post were you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5240.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	109350  

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen