Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Hand Crank Coffee Grinder

[QUOTE=rebelstand;883898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktrailer View Post
I'm a vintage person, myself, and can't imagine wanting a microwave in my trailer. I have learned, also, that I don't want anything breakable. I also don't even have paper plates and plastic utensils in there, as I don't want to add to the world's waste.....
--lots of ground coffee in a screw top jar (can't grind my beans without power)

Since our A/S is vintage also and our oven still works we are going to try microwaveless and see how we like it!

Let me recommend the old coffee mill grinder. We use one everyday!
I sold the old wooden one that I had years ago, and now I am wishing that I hadn't..... Is this the type that you use????? Do you have a picture? I think I have a wooden wall mount somewhere....I will have to look.

I bought a new hand crank for backpacking a few years back, and it took forever, and just didn't grind fine enough to make decent coffee.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Eden , North Carolina
We live in our 25 ft. Safari LS full-time. Boy have I been down the road with kitchen items. Started with square corelle plates but got rid of them and switched to round plates as I can stand them on the side and get more storage room in my cabinet.
I have an inexpensive (small) toaster. I carry one small skillet and pan, one medium skillet and pan and a small dutch oven. I also have one small cookie sheet. This is really all we need except for silverware and utensils.
Always looking for better storage suggestions.
Good Luck...
Cindy
ctalley316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #63
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
[QUOTE=pinktrailer;884128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post

I sold the old wooden one that I had years ago, and now I am wishing that I hadn't..... Is this the type that you use????? Do you have a picture? I think I have a wooden wall mount somewhere....I will have to look.

I bought a new hand crank for backpacking a few years back, and it took forever, and just didn't grind fine enough to make decent coffee.

We found this one at our local health food store. The plate on the front says Cafe. I am not sure if it's the brand but we like it. I won't deny it takes some effort to grind the coffee (little less than 5 minutes) but the electric grinder we had took just as long. My husband says there is a more expensive/higher quality unit that might work better. It is made in Germany!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #64
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Yeah, the nice hand-grinders are made by Zassenhaus, and you can buy them from various sources online for $60.00 to $250.00 depending on the model.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #65
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
The Rejected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalley316 View Post
We live in our 25 ft. Safari LS full-time. Boy have I been down the road with kitchen items. Started with square corelle plates but got rid of them and switched to round plates as I can stand them on the side and get more storage room in my cabinet.
I have an inexpensive (small) toaster. I carry one small skillet and pan, one medium skillet and pan and a small dutch oven. I also have one small cookie sheet. This is really all we need except for silverware and utensils.
Always looking for better storage suggestions.
Good Luck...
Cindy
You've given me an idea.....maybe I should do a thread on kitchen items people have bought and then replaced.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #66
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Nicki

Depending on how you like to make coffee, you might consider the filter cones and insulated carafe:

Amazon.com: Zojirushi Premium Thermal Carafe: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: RSVP Maunual Drip Coffee Filter Cone for Carafes or Thermos: Baby
Amazon.com: Copco Virtue 2-1/2-Quart Brushed Stainless Steel Teakettle: Kitchen & Dining

We all have our rituals but I use ground coffee in the traylah for reasons of space.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #67
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Chocolate ... more Chocolate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Nicki

Depending on how you like to make coffee, you might consider the filter cones and insulated carafe:

Amazon.com: Zojirushi Premium Thermal Carafe: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: RSVP Maunual Drip Coffee Filter Cone for Carafes or Thermos: Baby
Amazon.com: Copco Virtue 2-1/2-Quart Brushed Stainless Steel Teakettle: Kitchen & Dining

We all have our rituals but I use ground coffee in the traylah for reasons of space.
Well.... you see I'm a chocolate addict. Coffee without chocolate is against the laws of nature. It's Cafe' Mocha's for me.. unless i have no option. So we are planning on getting the stovetop espresso maker. But thanks for the links!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Kyocera Ceramic Hand Grinder

We use Kyocera's ceramic hand grinder. Gemma picked it up at Blue Bottle Coffee in the San Francisco Ferry Building.

It has a ceramic grinding mechanism that will never alter the flavor of the grinds. The grind adjustment allows for fine to coarse grinds and the non-slip base aids in stability.

We have to admit we don't use it to grind coffee though - we use it, well really, Murray uses it, to grind salt, pepper and spices. It works like a charm.

Happy camping!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
It might help, we posted most of our checklists including many kitchen items.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...s-19484-6.html

A couple of big coffee mugs are great for many things, we've used primiarily washable plastic dishes from IKEA. Cheap, reusable, durable, cannot break, don't hurt to bad if they fall out of a cabinet and hit you in the head, .... Toaster, electric coffee pot, old fashion grandma coffee pot to use on the propane stove (gotta have coffee!), good pots and pans (several selected from 2airs lists he posted links for above).

The best part is ask anyone you're camping near if you can poke around their kitchen for ideas. Everyone (well so far!) seems thrilled to oblige.

Good luck!

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I use quart or other sizes canning jars (with plastic lids found with the canning jars in most grocery stores). I have found that they fit perfectly in the fridge standing upright. I put cut up veggies in them (whole peeled carrots, zucchinni strips, pre-cut fruit (cantelope), cut up onions (with plastic wrap just under the lid). I use them as the drinking glasses for the day and return to fridge in between uses to reduce dishwashing and then wash once a day (reduces disposables). These jars fit well in the fridges as they will stand-up. I also use them to store flour, etc. I have the perfect space above the fridge in my MH.

Also I always have an iron skillet. Kosher salt can be used as a cleaner - use 1/4 cup to absorb the grease, etc; rub around a few times with tin foil and let rest for 15-30 min and then discard; this scrubs out the stuck on matter. This also preserves the finish. You can also quickly wash, but make sure to put over heat for 15 min. afterwards to preserve non-stick finish.

Think about using the "original corning ware". Check on the bottom for use stamp, but most of the older pieces are range top, oven, microwave, and freezer safe - and are fine serving dishes.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
OK, guilty pleasure with some residual practical uses. Blue Bunny Premium Ice Cream comes in very nice oval plastic containers with snap-on lids. They are big enough to hold a 2 pound bag of flour and fit in the cabinets well. They're stackable and breakproof. Colorful too. I use them for canisters.

You do have to remove the ice cream first, but I can live with that.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #72
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
OK, guilty pleasure with some residual practical uses. Blue Bunny Premium Ice Cream comes in very nice oval plastic containers with snap-on lids. They are big enough to hold a 2 pound bag of flour and fit in the cabinets well. They're stackable and breakproof. Colorful too. I use them for canisters.

You do have to remove the ice cream first, but I can live with that.
That's recycling at its yummiest!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #73
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
It might help, we posted most of our checklists including many kitchen items.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...s-19484-6.html

A couple of big coffee mugs are great for many things, we've used primiarily washable plastic dishes from IKEA. Cheap, reusable, durable, cannot break, don't hurt to bad if they fall out of a cabinet and hit you in the head, .... Toaster, electric coffee pot, old fashion grandma coffee pot to use on the propane stove (gotta have coffee!), good pots and pans (several selected from 2airs lists he posted links for above).

The best part is ask anyone you're camping near if you can poke around their kitchen for ideas. Everyone (well so far!) seems thrilled to oblige.

Good luck!
Coffee is always necessary!! The toaster keeps popping up on this list. I'll have to review that list again. People really let you poke around their kitchens.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Coffee is always necessary!! The toaster keeps popping up on this list. I'll have to review that list again. People really let you poke around their kitchens.....
Hi, coffee maker and toaster, is a must.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #75
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I have concluded that this is an evolutionary process and other than the coffemaker/toaster there is not short must have list that works for everyone.

We have packed a selection of pots/pans from the house. We got the coleman enamel ware plates to try out, and if they we don't like them they can be used as extras. We will get the rest as we figure out what we want...

Thank everyone for their advice and input... it was really appreciated!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #76
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The enamel plates are OK but don't hold up for long to daily use, and they tend to conduct heat so well that hot food gets cold and cold food gets hot. You can see what you think.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
6 inch tongs and 10 inch spring loaded tongs are a must.
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #78
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Beginning Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The enamel plates are OK but don't hold up for long to daily use, and they tend to conduct heat so well that hot food gets cold and cold food gets hot. You can see what you think.
something that we had not considered.... if we don't like them for indoor use they make really good outdoor use. However, we aren't even part-timing just beginning weekend warriors so easing into it seems a bit better. If we don't enjoy it, then at least we can use the enamel plates for backyard tent camping (We being the hubby and kids) and if we do enjoy it then we'll get a nice set of corelle.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My toaster has a retractable cord. Love it!
A cool exterior is a must in close quarters and when you need to stow it.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Here's a few more thoughts. We purchased a lightweight collapsable wire/rack table that is quite sturdy. When you're brewing coffee and making toast while the temperatures are toasting you can do it all outside the trailer using your outdoor plug. Keeps the inside a tad less steamy.

We had the enamel dishes from the old camping pre-RV days and thought they'd be great. Other than the nastalgia we didn't enjoy them and they've been repacked back in the attic for a later incarnation.

A practical packing idea we saw on the forums was to stuff extra paper towel rolls in the cabinets. It really does work great at keeping toasters, coffee pots, etc. from banging around, weighs nothing and they have come in handy!

I'm not sure about the Blue Bunny idea....but how can you not try it

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen