Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
A son with severe food allergies such as eggs, tree nuts, peanuts... with a slight milk allergy. Eating out for us is like the Spanish Inquisition for the waitress... thus we typically eat at places we already know.. sonic, slotzsky's, taco bueno... thus we get really tired of eating out!
Then the travel trailer is a good solution. I raised 4 sons without having to deal with those kinds of challenges.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Oh! There's another thing! We took the bottom shelf out of the frig...you know, the one with the the cut-out for a gallon milk jug (if that's the way your frig is set up...we have a 19' Bambi). Then we put in a 3-drawer plastic Sterilite craft organizer (I guess that's what you'd call it...9" tall x 9" wide x 9.75" deep) that fits in the bottom of the frig on one side...you can get a lot of stuff in that thing...and then you have the other half of the bottom of the fridge for taller items...plus you have a room on top of it for other tall things. The photos also shows how well Snapware fits into the frig...

Necessity really is the mother of invention! I like your Sterlitie Drawer organizer idea. However, since we don't have a fridge right now, our 39 year old dometic died, I don't know what will work for us.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Then the travel trailer is a good solution. I raised 4 sons without having to deal with those kinds of challenges.

Gary
It seems that allergies are more common these days. I certainly don't remember any friends with more than seasonal ones. We hope the trailer will take some of the stress out of vacations!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I will be the first to admit, I am a kitchen gadget junkie. I have at least 2 of most everything in my kitchen. So when we got our A/S I just went through what I had at the house. Also raided our outside patio dishes, bowls, cups and classes, etc. We are a soon to be retired couple, and carry 4 each of our dishware and silverware. I do have a microwave I puchased - and - we have used it one time so far, to bake a potato. That was before we learned how to get the pilot lite on our oven. I found at garage sales some smaller pots and serving utensils. Shopped on sale for some smaller sized: mini chopper, hand mixer, etc. We also have a George Forman (came in handy when we planned on having a BBQ-but had rain and wind instead) A small crockpot is always handy, especially if you travel in cooler weather - and/or if you will be out for the day and want a meal waiting for you when you get back. Of course several of these things require power, so if we are not hooked up to a power source, we also have a couple of Honda2000 generators.
I could go on and on, but for now I will post this. Good luck with your adventures, Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
rice

We keep a small crockpot on hand AND an electric rice cooker. (Really handy for fast meals. Cook the rice and dump a can of veggies over it.) I keep an electric nonstick skillet on hand too. I have a table that I can keep next to the trailer outside by the electric outlet. We do most of our cooking outside to keep the heat, odors and etc. on the outside. We carry an extra ext. cord (heavy duty one) so that if we need more things plugged in outside we can run from the power box on the post.
If you cook over the campfire you can add lots of fun. Everything from marmallow forks to Dutch ovens. We love to cook in pie irons and panini makers. You can do everything from fish, chicken and sandwiches in them. The kids will have fun using their imaginations to make campfire goodies.
Good luck on your quest!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Is square better than round space wise? how do they travel? do you have to use protective measures, like towels or bubble wrap? I am a total novice at this. Our first TT ever!!
Hi, I found a stand up rack to hold my plates and it fits in the overhead cabinet above my stove. We put paper plates in-between each Corelle plate to protect them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #27
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
I will be the first to admit, I am a kitchen gadget junkie. I have at least 2 of most everything in my kitchen. So when we got our A/S I just went through what I had at the house. Also raided our outside patio dishes, bowls, cups and classes, etc. We are a soon to be retired couple, and carry 4 each of our dishware and silverware. I do have a microwave I puchased - and - we have used it one time so far, to bake a potato. That was before we learned how to get the pilot lite on our oven. I found at garage sales some smaller pots and serving utensils. Shopped on sale for some smaller sized: mini chopper, hand mixer, etc. We also have a George Forman (came in handy when we planned on having a BBQ-but had rain and wind instead) A small crockpot is always handy, especially if you travel in cooler weather - and/or if you will be out for the day and want a meal waiting for you when you get back. Of course several of these things require power, so if we are not hooked up to a power source, we also have a couple of Honda2000 generators.
I could go on and on, but for now I will post this. Good luck with your adventures, Susan
We eat a lot of stir fry so maybe a rice cooker would be a good idea, but the crock pot is an excellent one.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #28
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I found a stand up rack to hold my plates and it fits in the overhead cabinet above my stove. We put paper plates in-between each Corelle plate to protect them.
There is a plate rack that small?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
I have something like this for my plates and lids.

http://stackitstoreit.com/202/

I've used this for camping ever since we started using a pop-up camper. It holds a lot. I stuff it full, and then none of the plates shift around, and I don't get the rub marks from traveling. It fits in the cupboard above the stove. But we have a newer safari, I know that it would not fit in my MIL's upper cabinets in her classic.

Robyn
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoffe View Post
I have something like this for my plates and lids.

http://stackitstoreit.com/202/

I've used this for camping ever since we started using a pop-up camper. It holds a lot. I stuff it full, and then none of the plates shift around, and I don't get the rub marks from traveling. It fits in the cupboard above the stove. But we have a newer safari, I know that it would not fit in my MIL's upper cabinets in her classic.

Robyn
I have to say that gives me envy. It won't fit in my upper cabinets.. 71 overlander here. That has potential for around the house though.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
best thing ever - an independent ice maker.

the usual AS refrig/freezer is too slow and too small for the task.

some of them are pricey but well worth it. check around, ebay etc.

they run off a genny or can plug-in inside. just add water - out comes ices in almost no time at all. ours can be set for S, M or L icecubes [actually ice 'tubes'].

no more lugging or buying bags of ice and dealing with the leftover water and waterlogged food. extra ice can them be stored in baggies in the freezer.

we store ours [empty] under the desk in the rear of our AS then plug it in upon arrival.

good luck

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
A few good things that make our trips easier:
An electric skillet (plug it up outside to fry bacon, eggs, fish, pancakes, etc. Keeps the stink out of the trailer and makes your neighbors look).
A can opener.
A small cutting board that can be cleaned easily.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #33

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Thumbs up

Where to start?

Plastic dishes (target) because I can't find the right melamine colors.

Nesting (marine type) cookware. It travels in a bag in the oven.

Mixing bowles (nesting) from crate and barrel. It has stainers and mixing cups etc. Very cool.

Small non skid cutting boards. (marshals)

Lots of storage containers. I like click clack also from marhals.

Skewers

Grill tools and grill basket.

Hot pads.

Long lighter ( for oven)

Cooking utensils

Cuttlery

Spice rack from ikea

Coffee pot

Martini glasses (polycarbonite)

Martini shaker

I'm sure I missed alot since I'm having a martini but you get the idea. Bring everything! Only lighter and smaller.

Wine glasses (polycarbonate)
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
The Dishes have been bought. I was very undecided about what type of dishes to get. It was between the Corelle and the Speckled Enamel. So Today we went off shopping, not planning on buying anything but just to check out the options. We found the coleman red speckled enamel ware w/cutlery set for $19.99. Shawn loved them. And as he pointed out, I've broken 2 glasses and a dinner plate(while washing dishes) in the last few months.....and I am probably capable of breaking Corelle too.

So at least for now, we have our dishes. Apparently, we are going for spontaneous, compulsive, cheap & cheerful as our decorative them. And if we want something better in the future, it didn't cost us much for these!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #35
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Something else I didn't have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Where to start?

Plastic dishes (target) because I can't find the right melamine colors.

Nesting (marine type) cookware. It travels in a bag in the oven.

Mixing bowles (nesting) from crate and barrel. It has stainers and mixing cups etc. Very cool.

Small non skid cutting boards. (marshals)

Lots of storage containers. I like click clack also from marhals.

Skewers

Grill tools and grill basket.

Hot pads.

Long lighter ( for oven)

Cooking utensils

Cuttlery

Spice rack from ikea

Coffee pot

Martini glasses (polycarbonite)

Martini shaker

I'm sure I missed alot since I'm having a martini but you get the idea. Bring everything! Only lighter and smaller.

Wine glasses (polycarbonate)
Never had a martini, but cosmos are good and require the same glasses.... and probably the shaker too... just wish I knew how to make one!!

Gotta go add hot pads to the list..
cooking tools too...

TAC OK-42

]
Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Nicki,

I've seen those Enamel plates you got and they are very sharp looking! We've dropped our Corelle plates more than once, even bouncing off of the edge of the countertop and then hitting the floor and not broken one yet. I do know they will break. My mom has had a set for many years and I managed to break at least one of them when I was younger. I had to work at it though!

We try and avoid "uni-taskers": things that are only good for one task. Of course there is always the exception, like the Martini shaker or the corkscrew. The electric skillet is very versatile. My resourceful wife recently found one at Goodwill for $5 (they guaranteed it to work and it did).

Great input from everyone. I'll find a way to put several to use. We're looking for a good spice rack. Will check out Ikea.

Stephen
Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #37

Olathe , Kansas
Ikea

Here is the link for the spice rack.

IKEA | Kitchen cabinet organizers | Cooking organizers | RATIONELL VARIERA | Spice rack with 6 jars
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Nicki, Since you have 2 little ones, a pizza pan (whole wheat homemade dough & allergy sensitve toppings). A cookie sheet, and don't forget measuring cups & spoons. Add in a go to cookbook. Did anyone mention potholders, a table cloth, napkins etc.
We also have our martini and wine glasses with a martini shaker. Oh an ice cube trays for the freezer so you have ice to mix the martinis/ Hoope you are having fun putting all this together. I sure have been having a great time outfitting our a/s.
Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #39

Olathe , Kansas
Here is the mixing bowl set. It's on clearance.

Multi-Use Kitchen Set | Crate and Barrel
Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
There is a plate rack that small?
Hi, I found out that the rack I am using for my plates is actually a lid rack. I found a picture of one similar, but not the exact one I bought at Wal-Mart.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinnerware, kitchen