Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
cooking with bologna

Yes there is a bologna cooking link:
http://www.southernangel.com/food/bologna.html
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Campfire special

I just had to post this my husbands family always tent camped when he was growing up. His mother gave me this recipe when we first did our tent camping so I surprised my husband with it. Spam, onions, potatoes, butter cooked in black skillet on the grill. He was surprised when I served it. So we have it everytime we camp now.

Becky

Ps, My son thinks the meat is steak.
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
We have an international dinner at our school every year. I'm always tempted to represent Bad American Food by bringing Spam and Velveeta sandwiches on Wonder bread with Fresca or TAB, cheetos, and that green jello with marshmallows in it. But I never do it because I secretly eat that stuff now and then...
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Baked Bologna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Yes there is a bologna cooking link:
http://www.southernangel.com/food/bologna.html
Yet they didn't have the recipe my dad made us when we were little kids. Occassionally he got to be the cook in our house to give us a respite from our mother's chicken and dumplings. He would make a production of buying a large chunk of unsliced bologna at the grocery deli and bake it like a ham with pineapple slices toothpicked on top and carefully basting it with a honey glaze as it baked. It was a production. It tasted just as good as baked ham.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Yet they didn't have the recipe my dad made us when we were little kids. Occassionally he got to be the cook in our house to give us a respite from our mother's chicken and dumplings. He would make a production of buying a large chunk of unsliced bologna at the grocery deli and bake it like a ham with pineapple slices toothpicked on top and carefully basting it with a honey glaze as it baked. It was a production. It tasted just as good as baked ham.
frugality rules!......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Like Father Like Son

Here is my passion.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/...nderloins.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Tenderloin.JPEG
Views:	132
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	17761  
Old 01-18-2006, 06:58 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
i luv poke most anyway, but marinated in eggnog?.....double
may the bird of happiness plop on your lutefisk.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 01-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Any one up for Pickled Tripe?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:44 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up peanut butter yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
As the Bible says "Man cannot survive on bread alone he must have peanut butter"
1) Peanut butter burgers: hamburger med. rare on Chicago hard roll, peanut butter & mayo w/slice of onion, beer (any kind ) eaten over the sink.

2) Blueridge Parkway Special: Peanut butter & mayo on rye w/lettuce & bulogney.

3) Neptune's Revenge:same as 1) above except ,sardines on bagle.

I know, I know, peanut butter & mayo sounds to die of, notfor ,but you gotta try it.

Anybody remember the peanut butter shortage of the early 80s? Very bad! Worse than the gas lines of the 70s, or even the coffee shortage of the 80s. OMG times were tough.

If you can spell "bulony" better, let me know.
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
He would make a production of buying a large chunk of unsliced bologna at the grocery deli and bake it like a ham with pineapple slices toothpicked on top and carefully basting it with a honey glaze as it baked. . .

Davydd, Max still talks about Sunday Bologna Roast, his big weekly splurge when putting himself through school at Mizzou! I can hardly believe that someone else ate such a thing This thread is bringing back all kinds of "tasty" memories! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
i luv poke most anyway, but marinated in eggnog?.....double
may the bird of happiness plop on your lutefisk.....
norby
Ah, don't knock it until you try it. Actually, the authentic way is to use buttermilk. Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN, the original home of the deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich uses buttermilk. Brickyard Crossing at the Indy 500 does likewise. Brickyard Crossing was featured on the Food Network's Food Finds show last week. I've tried buttermilk, regular milk and eggnog and to me it doesn't make a lot of difference. By the end of the year the eggnog had to be used up. So I tried it.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
By the end of the year the eggnog had to be used up. So I tried it.
the norwegies make bread with it....

Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
"

What a memory that picture brought back to me. We lived in Oakland Mills, Iowa a town of 24 people along the banks of the Skunk River. In our town was this little cafe and bait shop. Every day they would make their tenderloins on one end of the counter while rolling the catfish bait balls on the other end of the counter. They had the most wonderful but strangest tasting tenderloins in the world! The best days to get a tenderloin were the days that were the busiest for bait. You can fill in the blanks, or the space between the counter.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Back in the 50's and 60's Toronto seemed to have a Fish & Chips store on every corner. Sign in the window almost always said, "We serve Halibut only...no Cod."
I remember junior highschool. We'd all dash out for a cone of chips at lunch. You had to just cover em with salt, then drown them in dark brown malt vinegar. Once you finished with the chips you drank the salty bottom of the cone.....mmmmmmmmmmm .
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
White Clam & ??

O.K. this thread has taken on a life of it's own... I think Jim wanted some real recipes, so here goes.

White Clam Sauce and Spaggetti / Linguini is best.

One 3 oz. can of chopped clams for each expected guest.
Chopped garlic
Parsley
half a stick of butter
Olive oil
Tabassco Sauce (optional)

Open the cans leave tops on. Combine generous pour of olive oil and garlic in a large fry pan. Add butter. When the butter melts pour clam liquid out of cans and reserve the clams til later. Get rid of the lids now. In another pot boil water and add a little olive oil prior to putting in the dried pasta. Add parsley, and Tabassco to taste (just a hint) and all the clams to fry pan. Simmer to reduce the liquid to sauce consistancy. Drain your pasta and combine sauce and pasta.
Serve with garlic bread, rolls, or what have you.

You only need a double element hot plate to do all this, oh and a can opener.
Your friends will think you went to cooking school and will all begin to avoid you and likely will not ask you to come to their trailer for dinner anymore because they are intimidated by your high class cooking skills .
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Thumbs up Actually....

This thread has taken on its' own identity....

I ran across the craigspost listing & shared it because of the perceptions some of the public has about "trailers" and the people that enjoy them.

But what a good time reading about the memories that food evokes in all of us from the past....
There are some references to some nice recipes.

Perhaps we can start posting some like Glen did......

I think we all deserve a good meal!

Thanks Forum members.....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #97
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
English Style Fish and Chips

ok.. Here is my contribution... It is not exactly low class food but is actually very good... My brother and I make these when we go camping. We have deep fryers that we bring and it is best if this is done outdoors...The smell tends to be a bit strong.

The fish batter:

1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of baking powder

Combine the dry ingredients and stir in the water with a fork. Let set for at least 2 minutes.

Cut the fish (I usally use haddock or cod) into about 2x4" pieces. Dip the fish in the batter and drop (carefully) into the oil. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side (the fish should float to the top of the oil) or until the batter is a golden brown.

The chips are easy.. peel potatoes / slice into fries and drop in the oil. It usally takes about 8-10 minutes for these to cook.

I like to drown mine in ketchup others like to go the vinegar and salt route.. Depends on my mood.

You can use the batter for onion rings (my wife loves them).
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
How bout some o them Road Kill Recipes you can make on the go. Possum stew, Crown Vic Venison, Airstream Armadillo
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #99
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Oyster Stew

Okay, maybe we should do a new thread for this, but here is another serious recipe.
1 pint select oysters
2or3 slices bacon
Two stalks celery (diced)
Two large yellow onions (diced)
Two potatoes (sliced)
1 tsp. Tapioca
2 qts. milk
1/2 lb. butter

Start milk heating in double boiler (when hot add Tapoica)(thickener)
add potatoes
Fry bacon in frying pan and set aside. (pour off but save excess grease)
fry celery, onion in bacon grease (set aside)
Add some of bacon grease back to frying pan
heat oysters in bacon grease til gils start to curl.
Remove oysters from bacon grease and add to milk along with celery, onion and then crumble bacon over mixture.
add butter on top of mixture and let it melt.

Took this to a party during my single days thinking only the guys would eat it. Wrong!! Women found it and ate all 2 gallons of it. It's GOOD!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #100
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Never been able to eat the stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Oh stop it -- don't even kid about that! I was in a seminar once (well it's kind of technical) where a guy was there from Borden's. He was doing some research with a scanning electron microscope and said he was analyzing the fat structures in mayo. He then told us all it was something on the order of 96% fat. I haven't touched it since then... Yuck!

__
When I was an infant and just learning to eat solid food, my mom said I would reach for some of her sandwich and spit it back out if it had mayo on it but eat it if it didn't. I have never been able to keep it down. Once when McD's was trying out a new marketing idea with an "adult" menu they had this wonderful grilled sandwich on a kyser bun. I always ordered it plain and enjoyed it; one day I forgot to say plain and got it with their secret sauce and decided to eat it rather than turn around and go back. Fifteen minutes later I thought I was going to have to pull off the road because I was so sick! The rest of the day I had stomach cramps and was nauseous. I can't even eat aioli or hollandaise.

I have met several people to have the same aversion to mayo that I have. A few in college and a couple in my current Sunday School class. One of my former bosses didn't like it much but would eat it in small quantities. To me it is just too greasy and tart. Mostly it is just gross. It even smells gross. I wish it wasn't because there are a lot of foods I think would be good if I could handel the mayonnaise.

My wife and I will mix sour cream and mustard to substitute for mayo in any recipe that sounds like something I would like to try. One of my favorite TV chefs is Paula Deen and she uses mayo in just about everything she cooks. She even put it in one of her soup recipes: BLT soup! Another of my favorite TV chefs made a wonderful suggestion: substitute plain yogurt for an equal measure of mayo in recipes. It works for me.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote