Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
You all are forgettin America's favorite trailer trash food. Can't beat it where ever you go.
"
Hot Dog and Beer- That's gourmet in my book, the perfect food. Take a steamed bun with poppy seeds and put in a steamed pure beef kosher wiener. Top that pure beef kosher wiener with mustard, tomatoes, pickle relish, celery salt and a slice of dill pickle, NO KETCHUP! Fill the mug with Genuine Miller Draft Beer and you have a gourmet feast. Let us not mix up trash food with the good stuff.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 PM   #62
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
ditto.....
american cheese(velveeta) is easier to melt, and gives a smoothness rather then grainyness that one would wind up with had a good aged cheddar been employed. keep the good cheese to accompany your mad dog 20/20....
norby
There is a connection between american cheese (actually process cheese food product) and Airstreams.

Process cheese, especially the good soft stuff, contains lots of sodium "aluminum" phosphate, along with other phosphates and chemicals.

So you can sit in your airstream and enjoy a tasty aluminum snack!

That makes it the perfect low class trailer cuisine.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Oh Yeah! Try This....

AN IOWA RESTAURANT SERVES BREADED DEEP FRIED DILL PICKLES! YUCK! I DID TRY ONE AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS... IT ACTUALLY TASTED VERY GOOD.... WHILE HOT! BUT DO NOT TRY IT AFTER IT COOLS OFF! TASTES LIKE GACK THEN! ED
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Where's My Glasses ?..

Sick poodles...what next... lol, Sorry read it wrong, Snickerdoodles...LOL, Do U Guys have all the space names 4 candies, such as Milky Way, Mars Bars, Orbit, Zoom, Star Burst, & many, many millions more, I actualy luv the Shoppin Malls in Orlando, I always eat at different places, try something what I nvr tried B4, some I try agn, othere if I nvr try it agn, it's 2 soon...LOL, but I guess I jus miss Yr Pizzas, Fries n good 'ole fashioned BURGERS...Mmm... what is it abt food, U can't live with some of it, nor can U live without it... trouble with food is, it gets in Yr mouth, My Mom, Bless Her used 2 leave My meal till the next day if I refused 2 eat it, I got nothing else 'til I apreciated what she had made 4 Me, U wanna kn jus how many times I hid my sausages down My SOCKS, now I adore them...LOL, at this point I jus wanna mention My 'ole mutt, Bingo, He helped Me out many, oh ! so many times whilst He sat under the table, & never told on Me once...that was when He was allowed in the kitchen.. Mom knew what I was doin, but at least it was'nt wasted...LOL... Food, it's a wonderful thing, I once read a recipe book of a hundred things one can do with a chicken, well WRONG, it's a Hundred & ONE........if U EAT the thing... LMAO...Chris.....
Old 01-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
just fryed!

After scrubbing and scrubbing our 55 I am sure that the cuisine of trailers must be "anything deep fried". I am new to this but there is a lot of conclusive evidence!
Even with all of this evidence...my vote for trailer trash food would be cornflakes with beer for breakfast, sardines on saltines for lunch, roasting vienna sausages over the campfire for dinner, and pork rinds for snacks.
Cloud
cloud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #66
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Velveeta and Instant Mashed Potato Casserole

When I was young my mother was very frugal and created a meal she called Velveeta and Instant Mashed Potato Casserole. We were also served instant powdered milk to go with it. This was one of the most vile meals I have ever eaten ... Maybe this is how she convinced us all to leave the house at an early age .. Hey how about the old standby Tuna Noodle Casserole.. The one where the main ingredient is a can of cream of mushroom soup.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #67
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Tuna Noodle Cassarole

Oh! I wish you had not mentioned that cassarole. My Mother made it all the time, and now my Wife has her recipes and she started to make it. I am burned OUT on that.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
When I was young my mother was very frugal......
oh yeah?.......well my mother made fruit cake with gumdrops instead of fruit!.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why I started Cooking at 11

My mother grew up during the depression.
My mother LIKED liver and onions.
Mother's idea of Haute Cruisine was hotdog octopuses (Split the hotdog into quarters half way up and grill in a pan. Watch the legs curl up.)

I met an Italian girl at school whose parents owned a small grocery store and deli. There I found out about garlic, oregano, pasta and the joy of cooking. As a surprise for my mother, I made dinner following Anna Maria Esposito's favorite spaghetti recipe.

Mom gave me the keys to the.... stove.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
There's always Hamburg and Tuna Helper. 3 for a dolla Mac n Cheese. Packaged Stroganoff mix (that stuff rules with Hamburg).

My dad liked Pressure cooker beans, the only ingredients were salt and salt pork.
I think he liked em cause no one else would eat them, always had a side dish of vinegar and raw onions..........
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lasagna with ?

When I was younger and did not have a lot of money........
I made lasagna one year from basically what we had around the tiny place we lived in. I remember getting ricotta cheese (which I had never heard of before), using tomato sauce we had and italian seasonings.....
But for the "meat' I figures what the heck and used
TUNA FISH!
Boy, was that the absolute grossest italian food I have ever tasted!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #72
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
These posts would make a great theme for a pot luck at a rally sometime. It could be called the "Potluck from Hell" or bad meals I grew up with
I am still dreaming of the potato boats sailing on the sea of Velveta cheese and beer. Don't forget we could include the hotdog octopuses in the sea as well!
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
All 2 much...

Oh gosh... all this readin abt FOOOOOD is makin Me hungry, tho I jus had a whole 9 inch piza, I'm still starvin...LOL... I remember makin the mistake of tellin My Mum I liked something She prepared 4Me... I got egg chips & SPAM one day after school, the next would b fish fingers & SPAM, ( No I did'nt kn Fish had Fingers either, but there we go... ) Spam & beans, beans & Spam, Spam on toast, Spam WITH toast, toast under Spam, & SPAM...SPAM & MORE SPAM, it was quite nice with sausage & brown sauce tho... & if there was any left over Guess who got it 2 eat 4 their supper... the DOG... & He was ruddy welcome 2 it... 4 cryin out loud... I hated the stuff... until one day, I had it in BATTER, with Chips & Egg, then Egg, Chips & Battered spam Fritter... & it went on relentless, night after night after night... DID I MOAN... NO I never ( I am now... 'cos I NVR get any ) It was Cheap, fillin, handy, & it rolled down hills...LOL... BUT... But whem sliced it up 2 make sandwiches, She would cut it so THIN, if U picked it up 2 quick, it would fall apart, & I'll tell U another thing I miss Her doin, She used 2 put a ltl marg around the outside of the bread, cut some thin strips & place them on 3 sides of the bread, jus hangin out a lttl, makin it look like a full butty, open it up & the middle was jus dry plain bread..., She made sausage rolls ( Pigs in blankets ? ) abt 6 inches long, BUT there was only 1 inch of Sausage at each end, & the BESTEST thing that amazed Me & STILL DOES is this, 'cos We all liked DIFFERENT JAM ( JELLO ) Mum used 2 take the lable off the jar, & whoever was first 4A Jam butty got their choice of Jam, how the hell She knew what flavour it was I'll never kn, as it all looks the same 2 Me, mixed fruit jam, i'll never work out how she did it, but we always got what We asked 4... MUM SAID, thats how We knew... LOL, Good 'ole Mum...Chris.....
Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
These are cracking me up and alot are way to familiar.....I can't wait to see the look on my kid's faces when I serve them hotdog octopuses and "sea" beans!! It will be priceless
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam....

Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam
Kind looks like.........really bad ham!
Never goes bad........ date code be dammed!
State food of Hawaii.......coconut & spam!
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #76

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How did we get this far without someone mentioning the Gallery of Regrettable Food?

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Cookbooks from the past, in full glorious color, with smart-aleky modern commentary. I know there's hot dog octopuses (octopi?) somewhere in there!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Cowboy hats

In our grade school in TN we had "cowboy hats".
In this order: One slice of bologna, one scoop of mashed potatoes, one slice of yellow cheeze. They were baked until the cheeze melted over the mashed potatoes.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #78
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
In our grade school in TN we had "cowboy hats".
In this order: One slice of bologna, one scoop of mashed potatoes, one slice of yellow cheeze. They were baked until the cheeze melted over the mashed potatoes.
Sounds like a upgraded potato boat!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
How To Cook An Egg

Ingredients:
6 pack of Miller High Life Genuine Draft Light Beer
1 pound bacon
2 eggs

Instructions:

place beer in cooler to get cold

Put a 9" cast iron skillet on the fire to heat up.

Place 1 pound of bacon into the 9" skillet.

Stir occasionally to separate the bacon slices.

remove bacon when crisp.

Crack the 2 eggs into the remaining liquid and poach until edges of the eggs are slightly curled.

Serve eggs with bacon and chilled beer.

Note. Light beer is used for breakfast but regular beer can be substituted for lunch or dinner.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
As the Bible says "Man cannot survive on bread alone he must have peanut butter"
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote