Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
spam is a staple

with us too. Little mac and cheese with the ketchup with tabasco. Yeah, that's it.

We travel with the Surreal Gourmet's appetizer cookbook after having had the best steak appetizer served from his toaster mobile at Homecoming 04.

But I also carry this one and it has tips on everything! Trash or chic? Hmmm...One personal favorite of mine is to make a Xmas tree for a friend out of a green styrofoam cone and perforating it entirely with cigarette butts after using different brightly colored lipsticks. Now that's a gift of time and love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	realgoodlivin.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	17684  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #30
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile What no lime jello with marshmellows? Tuna salad?

Thought for sure I'd see that church potluck staple. My mom, bless her, hated to cook so she found this recipe back in the 50s as a young bride and never stopped making it for get togethers/potlucks/etc...
Lime jello, pineapple, cottage cheese, and mini marshmellows (multi colored makes it more garish)--I think even Garrison Keillor did an ode to the jello salad thing.

Oh, man and then there was the lettuce, peas, miracle whip, and tuna fish salad.

Two reasons I learned to cook at an early age. No offense intended to avid consumers of the abovementioned dishes. At least it wasn't lutefisk!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
What about broiled sliced Spam with a half slice of pineapple topped with a marshmallow?

My wife's family made "Apple Jack" (no, not the drinking kind). Ground up tart apples, whipped cream (real, not the Cool-Whip type), and crumbled saltine crackers. Alternate ingredients in thin layers in a deep bowl and chill. Spoon out and enjoy. I really liked this (salty-sweet-tart) untill I got concerned about my cholesterol so now we rarely have it.

My dad made what he called, "coffee soup." Cup of strong coffee, a little evaporated milk, sugar, and crumbled saltines. Also an evening meal was sometimes "coffee toast." Butter a crisply toasted slice of bread, place on a small plate, pour strong coffee over it, drizzle canned milk or cream over it and sprinkle sugar on it. When you're nine years old it is a real treat!

Gene
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

I knew a fellow for a short time that would eat a jar of mayonnaise with a spoon for lunch. He died in this early thirties from a clogged artery. That is a low red neck sob style lunch. In fact he lived in an a SOB.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Now Gene, you cannot give us a little jewel like "coffee toast' and not tell us what part of the country you are from! That's just not fair.

My mom used to make broiled Spam slices with brown sugar sprinkled on top. I'm not sure what part of the food pyramid she thought that satisfied, but I'm happy I haven't had to eat that in many many years! Don't think I'll ever get nostalgic for that!

How about Vienna Sausages? And Deviled Ham? See, I know it's trailer trash food because my husband was raised further up the hill (we were at the bottom), and he doesn't even know what this stuff is!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #34
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Man, do I feel like a hick. I actually like Spam. And I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things. Jim
Would that be Sardines on Saltines? Because I remember those as being gross, but tasty. Poor little fishies

Old 01-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
culinary nirvana

winn-dixie macaroni and cheese with turkey or chicken hot dogs- Boy Howdy!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
HOW ABOUT PLAIN BREAD IN A GLASS OF MILK? MY DAD LOVED THAT! NOT AS TASTY HE USED TO SAY SINCE THE MILK QUIT COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE COWS.... HE ALSO TOLD ME ONE TIME ABOUT DEPRESSION ERA SOUP. WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT THAT WAS HE TOLD ME THAT GENTS WOULD COME INTO MY GRANDMOTHERS DINER DURING THE DEPRESSION AND ORDER HOT WATER AT THE COUNTER. SINCE IT WAS NO CHARGE FOR WATER THEY THEN ADDED SALT, PEPPER, AND KETCHUP TO HAVE FREE TOMATO SOUP. NOW THAT AND A BIG GLASS OF GOVERNMENT ISSUED POWDERED MILK IS FINE DINING MY FRIENDS! ED
Old 01-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #38
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Would that be Sardines on Saltines? Because I remember those as being gross, but tasty. Poor little fishies
I prefer mine with Tobasco on a craker. As Andy Griffith used to say...Ummmm.....Ummmm! Gooood craker!

And that bread and milk thing? Try cornbread and buttermilk in a glass. Thanks dad and Grandma. Goes great with a banana sandwich. Where's the fridge.....

I guess I should stop making jokes about Lutfish, eh?

Air No. 6427
Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 PM   #39
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Man, do I feel like a hick. I actually like Spam. And I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things.

Jim
I am a Spam fan also. Spam and eggs is one of my favorite camping breakfasts! My wife also makes a one pan dinner that she calls German Pizza. It has peppers, onions, potatoes, Spam, eggs and cheese. It is even good cold the next day...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #40
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I am a Spam fan also. Spam and eggs is one of my favorite camping breakfasts! My wife also makes a one pan dinner that she calls German Pizza. It has peppers, onions, potatoes, Spam, eggs and cheese. It is even good cold the next day...
Oooooooooo, cool. Care to post the full recipe? I could torture the kids with that for days! Once upon a time we took the kids camping and took along Spam AND sardines. That was a camping trip they will never forget! (really,they still talk about it). It was a real hoot!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
HE ALSO TOLD ME ONE TIME ABOUT DEPRESSION ERA SOUP. WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT THAT WAS HE TOLD ME THAT GENTS WOULD COME INTO MY GRANDMOTHERS DINER DURING THE DEPRESSION AND ORDER HOT WATER AT THE COUNTER. SINCE IT WAS NO CHARGE FOR WATER THEY THEN ADDED SALT, PEPPER, AND KETCHUP TO HAVE FREE TOMATO SOUP. NOW THAT AND A BIG GLASS OF GOVERNMENT ISSUED POWDERED MILK IS FINE DINING MY FRIENDS! ED
My father in law still makes his own lemonaide when we go out to a restaurant. He'll ask for a glass of water with extra lemon, which is free, squeeze the lemons into the water, then put a couple packets of whatever sort of sweetener they have on the table for the coffee. He's always so proud of his 'free lemonaide' and rubs it in to anyone silly enough to actually buy lemonaide.

He's a real pleasure to take out to dinner!

Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

I have the perfect white trash food. It was a favorite food for all of us kids who grew up in the most backward small town on the planet: Channelview, Texas. (The name should give you some accurate images.) Anyway, we all looked forward to Thursdays, because that's when the cafeteria ladies prepared POTATO BOATS. They would fry a piece of the cheapest bologna available, and when you add heat to all those body parts, the slice curls up and makes a little bowl. Into the bowl, they put mashed potatoes and gravy!
As a kid in that backward town, I didn't know any better, and I thought it was yummy.

I amaze myself at what a long way I've come--from loving and eating potato boats to owning three vintage Airstream trailers! Who would have ever imagined such a thing! (The thought of potato boats makes me cringe from head to toe.)

Marian