Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
HE ALSO TOLD ME ONE TIME ABOUT DEPRESSION ERA SOUP. WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT THAT WAS HE TOLD ME THAT GENTS WOULD COME INTO MY GRANDMOTHERS DINER DURING THE DEPRESSION AND ORDER HOT WATER AT THE COUNTER. SINCE IT WAS NO CHARGE FOR WATER THEY THEN ADDED SALT, PEPPER, AND KETCHUP TO HAVE FREE TOMATO SOUP. NOW THAT AND A BIG GLASS OF GOVERNMENT ISSUED POWDERED MILK IS FINE DINING MY FRIENDS! ED
My father in law still makes his own lemonaide when we go out to a restaurant. He'll ask for a glass of water with extra lemon, which is free, squeeze the lemons into the water, then put a couple packets of whatever sort of sweetener they have on the table for the coffee. He's always so proud of his 'free lemonaide' and rubs it in to anyone silly enough to actually buy lemonaide.

He's a real pleasure to take out to dinner!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

I have the perfect white trash food. It was a favorite food for all of us kids who grew up in the most backward small town on the planet: Channelview, Texas. (The name should give you some accurate images.) Anyway, we all looked forward to Thursdays, because that's when the cafeteria ladies prepared POTATO BOATS. They would fry a piece of the cheapest bologna available, and when you add heat to all those body parts, the slice curls up and makes a little bowl. Into the bowl, they put mashed potatoes and gravy!
As a kid in that backward town, I didn't know any better, and I thought it was yummy.

I amaze myself at what a long way I've come--from loving and eating potato boats to owning three vintage Airstream trailers! Who would have ever imagined such a thing! (The thought of potato boats makes me cringe from head to toe.)

Marian
mjmcwhorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Markdoane Soho...

Say there My Friend... what U doin in SOHO... NO, don't answer that... LOL !... it's one of those Cheekier places in London... where U can buy FISH 'n CHIPS... U most likely ate ( or tried 2 ) a COD subistute, it's a commom white meat fish, n very nice 2, IF fried properly... LOL. Our Great British tradition... I jus LUV it, plenty salt n vinegar...
My Gran used 2 have brown bread in milk... & drippin on bread, with plenty salt n pepper... Mmmm I NOT allowed any now...Chris.....
Old 01-15-2006, 11:32 PM   #44

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Potato boats?! Ewww, now I've heard everything - you win!

I'm going to go try and forget I heard that now...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Stephanie,

Dad was raised on an eastern Colorado ranch and left it as a young adult because the drought and depression of the late 1920s and early 1930s made a move necessary (he still lived in northeastern Colorado though). I don’t know if the coffee customs were a product of the area or a result of the depression era. At the time of my recalled memories we lived in Wyoming.

Gene
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
This is great....

This thread took an unexpected direction.....
And in the process it seems to have stirred up some very sweet memories for quite a few folks!
Isn't it ironic the things we find in life that we fondly remember after time passes.....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Let me first say that I have never made this nor have I ever tasted it. The reason has nothing to do with the beer and the chaplain connection, I enjoy a good beer. But rather the Velveeta cheese and the Wisconsin connection. Believe me it is hard to even type the name much less lend it as an ingredient but this is trailer trash recipes and I would think most fitting.
1 Block of Velveeta
2 cans of Miller High Life Beer (must be Miller!)
1 Medium red onion

Take one can of Miller High Life and place in a cooler to get ice cold.
Dice onion and brown in a dutch oven put in the block of Velveeta cheese and pour in a can of Miller High Life beer. Place over medium heat covered until the Velveeta is melted . Serve while drinking the Miller High Life from the cooler.
note you can extend this recipe by placing more Miller High Life beers in the cooler to cool while making the soup.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #48
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Now THAT sounds good!!! As a kid on the farm I loved to sit down in a field of peas and eat my fill. Had some unusual effects on my digestive tract though.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #49
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sliced and battered fruitcake - deep fried.

Nuff said.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
But rather the Velveeta cheese and the Wisconsin connection. Believe me it is hard to even type the name much less lend it as an ingredient
ditto.....
american cheese(velveeta) is easier to melt, and gives a smoothness rather then grainyness that one would wind up with had a good aged cheddar been employed. keep the good cheese to accompany your mad dog 20/20....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #51
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Potato boats floating on a sea of Velveeta cheese and beer! How did that song go; Ploop, ploop, fiz, fiz Oh what a relief it is!
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Sliced and battered fruitcake - deep fried.
Nuff said.
This one gets my vote for Best Elvis Food.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
I love fruitcake!!!!!

You win, Janet !!!!!
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #54
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandcarla
I love fruitcake!!!!! You win, Janet !!!!!
Cool - I'll send you mine. I got several fruit laden wheel chocks for Christmas.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Mars...

Over the pond here, one of the latest crazes is Mars Bars in batter, usualy sold in Fish n Chip shops, I personaly do NOT wish 2 try one, because like Markdoane I would suffer when I eat the batter..., that's what spoils most of Englands favourite suppers, also the oil what they R fried in... looks like the thin oil I use in My Fords Engine, sayin that, it may well taste better...well if it's good enough 4 Fords...LOL... Some of these strange snacks realy do sound quite nice... but I Will admit 2 the tune of a BANANA SANDWICH, Mmm so refreshin, on brown bread with a sprinkle of brown sugar...I noticed whilst We were in Yr Wonderful Land, a LOT of food was laced in CINAMON ?... WHY, what's the story behind that, NOT Pikin here, I DO like the stuff, but in small doses, it was in a lot of things, anyone care 2 pick this up 4 Me, FANX.
I have jus finnished some Fruit cake I foun in My Moms cake box, it was ALL fruit, hardly any spongy stuff at all, rich, Oh ! Yes... VERY rich...Chris.....
Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .I could torture the kids with that for days!. . ." I laughed and laughed when I read this by Jim. Have we all held food threats over our kids' heads? Our four kids equally detested liver and onions (yum!) or any style of quiche when young, so to straighten up their misbehavior, Max and I usually only had to threaten "liver quiche" for dinner. Did they ever dread the idea of that! No, we never followed through to create the recipe. Sorry, forum
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I noticed whilst We were in Yr Wonderful Land, a LOT of food was laced in CINAMON ?... Chris, I don't know WHY, but I do know that lots of our favorite foods here contain cinnamon--from french toast to sweet potato pie. My all time favorite cinnamon treat is Snickerdoodles: a melt-in-the-mouth butter cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar before baking. Heaven when served with hot coffee. Probably too "refined" for this trailer trash thread!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #58
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I remember when I was young my mother would pull the liver and onions thing on me. Thank goodness we had a black lab that would eat anything!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #59
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Good Eats:

You all are forgettin America's favorite trailer trash food. Can't beat it where ever you go.
Attached Images

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #60
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Let me first say that I have never made this nor have I ever tasted it. The reason has nothing to do with the beer and the chaplain connection, I enjoy a good beer. But rather the Velveeta cheese and the Wisconsin connection. Believe me it is hard to even type the name much less lend it as an ingredient but this is trailer trash recipes and I would think most fitting.
1 Block of Velveeta
2 cans of Miller High Life Beer (must be Miller!)
1 Medium red onion

Take one can of Miller High Life and place in a cooler to get ice cold.
Dice onion and brown in a dutch oven put in the block of Velveeta cheese and pour in a can of Miller High Life beer. Place over medium heat covered until the Velveeta is melted . Serve while drinking the Miller High Life from the cooler.
note you can extend this recipe by placing more Miller High Life beers in the cooler to cool while making the soup.
ahhh

a recipie only a true wisconsinite would enjoy!

winner in my book!

john