Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by canny_banjo_man
... Jus a quikky Here bk n the early '60s, My eldest Bruv worked on the railway, He was a guard, He Always MOANED abt his snap NOT bein rite, so one day He frew a flagger... so the next day He had a real shock, U C, He moaned abt NO Mustard on His HAM sarnies, so the next day He GOT Mustard on His snap... I still wonder IF He enjoyed it on His JELLO sarnies...LOL...
What? Can any1 xplain this 2me?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I think it means to be kind to food servers...cause they're preparing your food.

sarnie = sandwich
bruv =brother
abt= about
bein= being
rite=right
frew a flagger= flipping a finger?
snap=light meal

Old 01-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Chris,

I tried some of your famous 'Fish & Chips' from a street vendor near SoHo square. I don't know what type of fish meat it was, but it was a rather grisly experience. Have you tried it?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #24
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Moon Pies

Quote:
Jim...what part of the south? R ah Cee Cola and Co Cola are two totally different things.
I was in the Army in Fort Polk, Fort Rucker, and Fort Eustis. That should be enough south for anyone. Then I spent 18 tears in Virginia and Maryland.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Fish and Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Chris,

I tried some of your famous 'Fish & Chips' from a street vendor near SoHo square. I don't know what type of fish meat it was, but it was a rather grisly experience. Have you tried it?
If you want GREAT FISH AND CHIPS, Try Joeys Seafood here in the Twin Cities. Their Halibut fish and chips is the best I have ever had!! There is one in Apple Valley, but there are others that I know of but don't know the locations. (Phone Book).

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Don't forget Fried Spam with mustard and Home fried taters
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #27
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Don't forget Fried Spam with mustard and Home fried taters
Now you're talkin COMFORT FOOD!!!

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Seems to me that ANY food served in an Airstream should be labeled haute cuisine.... after all we're all millionaire 'streamers - right?

Maybe I'm missing the point here - but I'm thinking that trailer trash food is for SOB's.
clecogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
spam is a staple

with us too. Little mac and cheese with the ketchup with tabasco. Yeah, that's it.

We travel with the Surreal Gourmet's appetizer cookbook after having had the best steak appetizer served from his toaster mobile at Homecoming 04.

But I also carry this one and it has tips on everything! Trash or chic? Hmmm...One personal favorite of mine is to make a Xmas tree for a friend out of a green styrofoam cone and perforating it entirely with cigarette butts after using different brightly colored lipsticks. Now that's a gift of time and love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	realgoodlivin.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	17684  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #30
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile What no lime jello with marshmellows? Tuna salad?

Thought for sure I'd see that church potluck staple. My mom, bless her, hated to cook so she found this recipe back in the 50s as a young bride and never stopped making it for get togethers/potlucks/etc...
Lime jello, pineapple, cottage cheese, and mini marshmellows (multi colored makes it more garish)--I think even Garrison Keillor did an ode to the jello salad thing.

Oh, man and then there was the lettuce, peas, miracle whip, and tuna fish salad.

Two reasons I learned to cook at an early age. No offense intended to avid consumers of the abovementioned dishes. At least it wasn't lutefisk!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
What about broiled sliced Spam with a half slice of pineapple topped with a marshmallow?

My wife's family made "Apple Jack" (no, not the drinking kind). Ground up tart apples, whipped cream (real, not the Cool-Whip type), and crumbled saltine crackers. Alternate ingredients in thin layers in a deep bowl and chill. Spoon out and enjoy. I really liked this (salty-sweet-tart) untill I got concerned about my cholesterol so now we rarely have it.

My dad made what he called, "coffee soup." Cup of strong coffee, a little evaporated milk, sugar, and crumbled saltines. Also an evening meal was sometimes "coffee toast." Butter a crisply toasted slice of bread, place on a small plate, pour strong coffee over it, drizzle canned milk or cream over it and sprinkle sugar on it. When you're nine years old it is a real treat!

Gene
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

I knew a fellow for a short time that would eat a jar of mayonnaise with a spoon for lunch. He died in this early thirties from a clogged artery. That is a low red neck sob style lunch. In fact he lived in an a SOB.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Now Gene, you cannot give us a little jewel like "coffee toast' and not tell us what part of the country you are from! That's just not fair.

My mom used to make broiled Spam slices with brown sugar sprinkled on top. I'm not sure what part of the food pyramid she thought that satisfied, but I'm happy I haven't had to eat that in many many years! Don't think I'll ever get nostalgic for that!

How about Vienna Sausages? And Deviled Ham? See, I know it's trailer trash food because my husband was raised further up the hill (we were at the bottom), and he doesn't even know what this stuff is!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #34
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Man, do I feel like a hick. I actually like Spam. And I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things. Jim
Would that be Sardines on Saltines? Because I remember those as being gross, but tasty. Poor little fishies

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
culinary nirvana

winn-dixie macaroni and cheese with turkey or chicken hot dogs- Boy Howdy!
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
HOW ABOUT PLAIN BREAD IN A GLASS OF MILK? MY DAD LOVED THAT! NOT AS TASTY HE USED TO SAY SINCE THE MILK QUIT COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE COWS.... HE ALSO TOLD ME ONE TIME ABOUT DEPRESSION ERA SOUP. WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT THAT WAS HE TOLD ME THAT GENTS WOULD COME INTO MY GRANDMOTHERS DINER DURING THE DEPRESSION AND ORDER HOT WATER AT THE COUNTER. SINCE IT WAS NO CHARGE FOR WATER THEY THEN ADDED SALT, PEPPER, AND KETCHUP TO HAVE FREE TOMATO SOUP. NOW THAT AND A BIG GLASS OF GOVERNMENT ISSUED POWDERED MILK IS FINE DINING MY FRIENDS! ED
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Would that be Sardines on Saltines? Because I remember those as being gross, but tasty. Poor little fishies
I prefer mine with Tobasco on a craker. As Andy Griffith used to say...Ummmm.....Ummmm! Gooood craker!

And that bread and milk thing? Try cornbread and buttermilk in a glass. Thanks dad and Grandma. Goes great with a banana sandwich. Where's the fridge.....

I guess I should stop making jokes about Lutfish, eh?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #39
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Man, do I feel like a hick. I actually like Spam. And I'm shocked nobody has mentioned sardine horsd'erves, hoed'erves, Horse doovers. However you spell those things.

Jim
I am a Spam fan also. Spam and eggs is one of my favorite camping breakfasts! My wife also makes a one pan dinner that she calls German Pizza. It has peppers, onions, potatoes, Spam, eggs and cheese. It is even good cold the next day...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #40
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I am a Spam fan also. Spam and eggs is one of my favorite camping breakfasts! My wife also makes a one pan dinner that she calls German Pizza. It has peppers, onions, potatoes, Spam, eggs and cheese. It is even good cold the next day...
Oooooooooo, cool. Care to post the full recipe? I could torture the kids with that for days! Once upon a time we took the kids camping and took along Spam AND sardines. That was a camping trip they will never forget! (really,they still talk about it). It was a real hoot!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427