Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
No, it (and all the little packets) would take up too much room in our small trailers. We prefer our french press or the newish Starbucks Vias. Generally, I don't find the Keurig coffee packets strong enough for my taste anyways...but I think if you like them and have the room, it'd be pretty convenient.

Shari
Yep....Tried one last Season, IMHO duz not live up to all the hype. The "use your own grind" cup very messy. Now resides in the SIL's kitchen.

Back to the Chemex.....KISS.

Bob
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Where do you throw it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Yes, the real advantage for us is the ease of cleaning, as in no cleaning necessary, just remove the K-cup and throw it away. No filter to clean or throw away, no grinding, no spilling of coffee grounds, and if the wife wants pumpkin spice flavored coffee, she just pops a K-cup in and Mama is happy.

Pap
Not to start an argument, but what happens to all the plastic of each of those cups when you throw it away? It has to go somewhere where it is stored for hundreds of years. Literally. The plastic will not decompose in many lifetimes. Having a young daughter I am hoping to keep less of our country developed into land fills and more if it available for her to camp in the AS for many years to come. With a french press the organic grounds are the only things that are cast out. When traveling it may be hard to compost as we do at home, but even if it is throw into a land fill, it will decompose and add organic matter to an other wise large mass of trash.

I guess it comes down to a question of can I wait a few extra minutes to get my good (read reallllly strong coffee) to help keep one more piece of plastic trash floating around the world. I guess that is why I am choosing to restore an AS when I could have purchased a throw away SOB for the same price.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, we also use the Chemex. Simple, compact and elegant, perfect coffee, no plastic.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Bob, we also use the Chemex. Simple, compact and elegant, perfect coffee, no plastic.

doug k
I should have known better.....DW got brainwashed by all the hype.
It was one of my very rare ITYS moments.

Bob
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
Not to start an argument, but what happens to all the plastic of each of those cups when you throw it away? <SNIP>

I have been reloading the k-cups for over 2 months now. I know that the plastic eventually ends up in a land fill when done. In my case we get 5-6 uses from the same cup and the reloads are a fraction of the cost to use (maybe 8-10cents). Kinda goes against the purpose of using a Keurig for that instant brew. I reload a weeks worth in about 10 minutes on Sunday. I works for us.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
we favor the old school, on the burner, grill or hung over a fire, percolating coffee pot... plus I'm clumsy & have broke every coffee pot/french press we've had... relatives have the K-cup but I feel so guilty using them... like I'm pinching mother nature each time☕
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Hmmm, it took me a while to work out what a "French Press" was; being from Europe I know it as a "Cafetiere". Anyhoo, I find the Keurig and Tassimo cup thingies an expensive way to drink coffee, although I certainly don't doubt the quality and convenience, particularly when on the road. I'm not keen on the French Press, either, as I prefer my coffee through a paper filter, which takes away some of the bitterness. As I'm the only coffee drinker in the household, I settled for the Aeropress, a simple but effective way to make single cups of coffee. It uses little discs of paper, so it checks that box, and the coffee is always piping hot, which it isn't always from machines. It's one drawback is that it can be a slight chore to load the thing up, then to clean it out. Still, it works for me, especially whilst on the road.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Thought about a Keurig, but the coffee and the unit are so expensive.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I vote for the least waste, and recycle what you can.
And when we travel and fuel at Husky/Mohawk/BCAA in Western Canada we always get free refills in our take out cups and that gets us another couple hours down the road.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillpoints View Post
With a french press the organic grounds are the only things that are cast out. When traveling it may be hard to compost as we do at home, but even if it is throw into a land fill, it will decompose and add organic matter to an other wise large mass of trash.

I guess that is why I am choosing to restore an AS when I could have purchased a throw away SOB for the same price.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
We have a Keurig single cup coffee maker that we plan on taking on our 6 week excursion. Anyone else have one or use one on the road?

Pap
I got one for Christmas. I like the variety and convenience. It makes a perfect hot cup of coffee without any trouble or mess and looks good in my kitchen at home. I have seen the smaller version. I am interested in getting a reusable filter and/or caps to reuse the kcups. There seem to be a lot of choices online. Good to know about the coffee club and free shipping. I like the Green Mountain coffees too. Anyone try the holiday 3 variety pack with caramel and biscotti?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I got one for Christmas. I like the variety and convenience. It makes a perfect hot cup of coffee without any trouble or mess and looks good in my kitchen at home. I have seen the smaller version. I am interested in getting a reusable filter and/or caps to reuse the kcups. There seem to be a lot of choices online. Good to know about the coffee club and free shipping. I like the Green Mountain coffees too. Anyone try the holiday 3 variety pack with caramel and biscotti?
Carol, I have a couple of the different reusable k-cups and have not been especially pleased with them. Maybe there is a trick to making them work, but the results have so far not been to my liking. My favorites are the Green Mountain free trade Rain Forest espresso and recently the Starbucks Sumatra. The Sumatra is the best, most full bodied K-cup coffee that I have tried.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote