Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Instant Pot

I am curious if anyone uses the "Instant Pot" and if so do you take it camping and how do you like it.
Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I had to google it.... but found this review http://www.thekitchn.com/i-tried-the...s-later-226178

Any appliance that requires power is off the list for me - we are too often in remote areas. That said, I have a small pressure cooker that I've been contemplating carrying...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My wife uses instant potatoes all the time.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There is an existing thread entitled Mini Slow Cooker / Crockpot, and the last post from March of this year is about the Instant Pot:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ot-125134.html

There are lots of other good ideas there too. For instance this Crock Pot on the Road thread which has some good 12-volt appliance ideas:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ad-140779.html

Perusing the list of topics in this Stella's Kitchen sub-forum reveals many interesting threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

Including the Dutch Oven thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

Got my mouth watering!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am curious if anyone uses the "Instant Pot" and if so do you take it camping and how do you like it.
Thanks
How do you smoke it? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

Trouble maker! 😂
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am thinking of going home through Colorado and picking up some instant pot.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Try this place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weed.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	269345  
Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Have one (actually 2) and love it!

I make all sorts of things in it!

Sweet potatoes, baked regular potatoes, pinto beans from dried beans (without pre-soaking!),
beef stew, boiled corn, soup, chili, boiled eggs that are extremely easy to peel. One of the reasons i like it is the high sides - it keeps the splatter down. I have used it for helping to cook the above when all my burners are busy at home and it will also "keep warm". It is set it and forget it!

It is really terrific. After a few months, I also bought the glass top for slow cook or saute', and the silicon top for storage in the fridge. Search You Tube - there are many videos - Indigo Nilli is a good poster to begin with.

I like it so much I bought a second one for home and have one in the Interstate - don't want to forget it! It has become one of my most used cooking utensils at home - only second to my #10 Lodge cast iron skillet and tied with the cast iron dutch oven.

I may eventually graduate to a stove top pressure cooker - depending on how much we boondock in the future. This has been a great experience to learn with -

BTW, several times a year, Amazon puts them on a flash sale, etc. You might put one in your "save it for later" section of the cart - then you may get a notification of the sale. On Black Friday last year, i got the 7-in-1 Duo for $79.99 versus $130. A couple of months ago, i bought the second one on a flash sale ---

I recommend if you get one, take a few hours just to experiment and begin slowly. After a while, you will get the hang of it. I started slowly, using it maybe once or twice a month and now i use it to cook 4-5 dishes a week of some type.

Best thing is summer cooking with the pressure cooker - it keeps the house / Airstream from heating up. Many times i will plug it in outside next to the Motorhome sitting on a small table.

I guess the real test for me was that it gained a spot in the Interstate which has not room for "extra" stuff!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Instant Pot...not the Colorado kind ; )

Let me tell you I am kind of obsessed with the instant pot. I first saw it on an RV blog. They use the generator. I use it at home all of the time and just got a second one for the trailer. You will have to be connected to power to use it but we don't plan to boondock too often. But if you do you can cook quickly while on shore power. It is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, and has a sauté option for all in one cooking. I live in Tx...very hot. This is a great way to have beef roasts or turkey breast (45 min.) with out heating up the kitchen. Frozen chicken breast to falling apart in about 20 minutes, yes. Just keep reading about it online, you will be hooked also. Pinterest has many recipes.
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the replies, however, I will pass on the offer to pass through CO to purchase the Instant Pot, but, might still buy it on Amazon. There is a Facebook group of Instant Pot owners and I have never seen a more passionate group when it comes to a cooking Pot
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . Er, but I don't think you can get the Colorado version from Amazon . . .

PS -- The Colorado "users" are said to be pretty passionate too, sometimes instantly!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
That is OK as like a former president I would never in hale
Old 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
It's easy to smoke just hard to roll up and get lit.
😉
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
If you are on Facebook, look for the instant pot community. There are nonstop amazing ideas for how and what to cook.
BetterNowlinLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am a member of the group and I am amazed at the passion for it.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Instant Pot

I just ordered an Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W from Amazon with their Black Friday pricing.
Any tips or tricks from experienced users.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I just ordered an Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W from Amazon with their Black Friday pricing.
Any tips or tricks from experienced users.
Thank you for moving my post. I started a separate thread as this thread seemed to have taken a hard left turn to an alternate dimension.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wondering if any of you have any new recipes or success stories using the Instant Pot. Also curious whether your trailer's inverter can handle the load, which I think is 1000 watts?

I see a 5-quart which only uses 900 watts.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...00FQ6VEKS?th=1

With the reduced cooking time, maybe using the inverter is not too painful, in terms of battery use, especially for those with some solar charging?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troie99 View Post
Hi, I wanted to revisit this thread, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. I just bought an Instant Pot and I LOVE it. Has anyone been making any road-tested dishes with it? I think it will save me stove time especially for soups and stews. I can't wait to make cheesecake in it.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNowlinLater View Post
Let me tell you I am kind of obsessed with the instant pot. I first saw it on an RV blog. They use the generator. I use it at home all of the time and just got a second one for the trailer. You will have to be connected to power to use it but we don't plan to boondock too often. But if you do you can cook quickly while on shore power. It is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, and has a sauté option for all in one cooking. I live in Tx...very hot. This is a great way to have beef roasts or turkey breast (45 min.) with out heating up the kitchen. Frozen chicken breast to falling apart in about 20 minutes, yes. Just keep reading about it online, you will be hooked also. Pinterest has many recipes.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I have an old Presto cast aluminum pressure cooker, purchased at a yard sale, uses no electricity and does everything the IP does. It just needs to be monitored.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote