Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I didn’t realize there was a 3qt Mini...would be a much better size for me than the 5 qt I got last winter.

I have loved mine, and yesterday cooked 2 cups of steel cut oats in under 1/2 hour, with no tending to and no stirring.

Got one in February for my daughter and their new home, my son and his have gotten one, as has my brother.

They are a pretty amazing item.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I'm mulling over one of these 3 Qt models.

I don't really want 'another' appliance on the counter though.

We typically cook high protein meals and like veggies.

Most of the popular recipes I've seen for the Instant Pots seem to feature rice, or potatoes, which is not something we eat much.

Do you guys have any suggestions for tasty one-pot meals that don't have a lot of rice?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Seems like the IP would work well for beef stew, any pasta dish with small pasta and tomato sauce. Or use beans for the volume. How about an Irish St. Patrick's Day boil with corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage?

You just have to get the right amount of water/liquid so that the final product has the right consistency.

This forum's list of topics has some other threads which might lead in the right direction, such as:

Baked beans: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ns-150439.html
Slow cooker: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...er-169233.html
Dutch oven: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html
Slow cooker -- crockpot: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ot-125134.html
1 pot dinners: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...rs-114136.html

Just fry up some onions, brown some meat, add liquid, etc. etc. -- the sky's the limit!

. . . limited only by one's imagination . . .

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Post #28 in that last thread has a recipe for "Redneck Gourmet Kielbasa Stew" -- yum!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Seems like the IP would work well for beef stew, any pasta dish with small pasta and tomato sauce. Or use beans for the volume. How about an Irish St. Patrick's Day boil with corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage?

You just have to get the right amount of water/liquid so that the final product has the right consistency.

This forum's list of topics has some other threads which might lead in the right direction, such as:

Baked beans: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ns-150439.html
Slow cooker: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...er-169233.html
Dutch oven: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html
Slow cooker -- crockpot: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ot-125134.html
1 pot dinners: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...rs-114136.html

Just fry up some onions, brown some meat, add liquid, etc. etc. -- the sky's the limit!

. . . limited only by one's imagination . . .

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Post #28 in that last thread has a recipe for "Redneck Gourmet Kielbasa Stew" -- yum!
We purchased the 5 qt Instapot earlier this year after reading it on this darnd Forum...(have to purchase the stuff you read about!)
We have done bbq short ribs, stews, roast beef, and clam chowder which were all to die for... Have been evaluating that "Thermal Pot" contraption now, but still think the Instapot could be better utilized for our needs since we also have a generator and we can get electric most of the time for short bursts when needed. But now, I have to check out the 3 qt. model...opps...shouldn't have looked at this on Amazon...just ordered this one now...thanks Forum readers!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

Most of the popular recipes I've seen for the Instant Pots seem to feature rice, or potatoes, which is not something we eat much.

Do you guys have any suggestions for tasty one-pot meals that don't have a lot of rice?
Squash, onions and jalapeños, and tomatoes, make a nice combo. 25 minutes on pressure.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
. . .
. . . bbq short ribs . . .
. . .

How could I have overlooked this?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have tried to like the IP however it just does not fit my style of cooking. My wife keeps telling me that she could have told me that before I bought it. so it looks like it might migrate to one of my children.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

How could I have overlooked this?

Do the ribs in broth, 32 minutes, then sauce and finish on the grill. Falls off the bone!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #109
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post

You can just cook meat. And/or veggies. An insert with two compartments that basically takes up the whole inside can be useful. The food doesn't have to be in the water. You can cook basically anything you would cook in an oven in the insert if you happen to not have an oven. When I want to cook something I usually google the name of the ingredient and "instant pot" and look for some ideas or at least cook times if I already have an oven recipe to use. Pot roast in 90 minutes, fish in minutes... So you can start with the vegetables or the meat in one compartment (whichever cooks longer), cook until the time left for the other item, open it up and put the other item in the other compartment, finish the time, and voila you have meat and veggies. Not what you're interested in but people cook quick breads and cakes too.

I moved into a Sport 16 (no oven) so I got the Instant Pot a few months ago and quit using my oven to practice. I've been saying that even if the Sport 16 was a mistake at least I discovered the Instant Pot!
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
The 3 Quart just came out a few weeks ago. So new, the extra liners, etc. are not on Amazon yet.

They are a great size for one or two with leftovers. I have cooked a 2.5 beef roast with potatoes and carrots in mine - came out great! Great for veggies - I pressure cook things like broccoli at High Pressure for 0 minutes (it comes to pressure and then switches to keep warm). Then do a Quick Release.

Perfect size to cook a 1 pound (or less) of dried beans. With the liquid and the beans, I ended up with the perfect balance.

I also cooked one slab of ribs in the small one that turned out well.

I was home sick today and all I wanted was Rice-a-Roni. I browned the rice mixture in a tablespoon of butter on saute and then added the 2.5 cups water and packet. High pressure for 4 minutes with a pressure release after 8 minutes on keep warm. Turned out creamy and satisfying. The Instant Pot Facebook group has many good ideas listed.

I started making my own plain yogurt and the 3 Quart is a great size - perfect for a half gallon of milk. I use Fairlife (or any other Ultra pasteurized milk, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, and push yogurt button. 8 hours later, it is ready to pull out and cool 4 hours and then refrigerate and strain for greek yogurt. If using regular pasteurized milk or raw milk, then need to do added process to bring to around 180 to pasteurize (complete instructions for yogurt both ways on Freida loves bread or this old gal websites).

This Old Gal website, Freida Loves Bread website, Pressure Luck Cooking you tube channel and website, FloLum You tube channel and website, and Adventures of a Nurse websites are all very good references and have a range of recipes. NomNomPaleo has many meat recipes.

Pressurecookingtoday website and pressurecookrecipes are great also

I leave my 5 quart at home now and take the 3 Quart in the Interstate. Sometimes for rallies, the 5 quart comes along also - when we can spare the room and not on a long trip.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I might have to get a 3 quart, and find a good home for a gently used 5 quart.

I notice there is the 7-in-1, also the less expensive 6-in-1, available in the 3 quart as in the larger models.

I found a spot for my 5 quart in the galley cabinet of the Interstate, but it is still bulky... the same is true for my home kitchen, where it lives on an open shelf unit as it won’t fit in any of my lower cabinets.

My DIL makes yogurt for her brood every week in their 6 quart...strains it, puts a small bit of fruit in the bottom of 4oz canning jars, then the yogurt on the top, and stacks them in the refrigerator for healthy snack grabbing.

They love it, and are using their IP 3-4 times a week for one thing or another. 3 kids, and a busy family into lots of activities...it has been a real timesaver for them.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Do the ribs in broth, 32 minutes, then sauce and finish on the grill. Falls off the bone!
Or..you can follow this BBQ country style rib recipe which I used, and enjoy a different method...this was great! We used to make this alot in Hawaii when we lived there and only had an electric fry pan...41 years ago! I do "spice it up" a little more and don't add the pineapple juice-I use red wine with a bit more catsup, but you can experiment...
https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com...cue-pork-ribs/

By the way, the new 3 qt. size arrived this morning...1 day from Amazon prime!...perfect size for the AS for just the 2 of us! Wife and I so happy!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
I got my instant pot a while back and love it. Have been eyeing the mini to use in the interstate. I gave the 7 in 1 6qt to both my children and they love it also.
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghayes View Post
I got my instant pot a while back and love it. Have been eyeing the mini to use in the interstate. I gave the 7 in 1 6qt to both my children and they love it also.
Well, if your thinking about it, I saw it on Amazon Prime for $69 after reading this thread yesterday and it arrived this morning...you better get on this one before their all gone! I'd hate to see you go to the Alumalina end of the month in South Carolina without this little baby!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Amazon also has the IP Mini Lux 3qt 6 in 1 for $59.95...which I ordered today.

It is more suited to one, wherever I am, will travel better in the Interstate, and not require calisthenics to get it stowed in the lower cabinet.

Why not...it’s such a versatile little item.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Maggie, I have a 6qt instant pot and there are many times I have wished for a second one. Now since the mini came out, I am going to get it and use it traveling and at home. You may want to rethink getting rid of your 5qt.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will consider it, Gloria, and thanks for the suggestion.

I am space challenged at home, as well, being in a small house, so don’t know that I can convince myself that I need them both ...and someone else could put it to better use than sitting around here most of the time.

My mini is being shipped today.

Maggie
Old 10-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks all for the useful suggestions, especially the low carb ones.

At less than $75, I may go ahead and get one. We're back in Clearwater in November so maybe once we get settled in our winter spot.

Again, thanks all.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Amazon also has the IP Mini Lux 3qt 6 in 1 for $59.95...which I ordered today.

It is more suited to one, wherever I am, will travel better in the Interstate, and not require calisthenics to get it stowed in the lower cabinet.

Why not...it’s such a versatile little item.

Maggie
6 in 1 Mini from Instapot? I did not see that one...can you send out a link? $10 bucks less is interesting, but I did not see anything that was 3qt other then the 7-1 Mini from IP?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The 6 in 1 came up when I first googled the 3 quart, but then I had to do some looking to find it again...6 functions are plenty for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M.../dp/B071FGTXDW

Maggie