Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Guess I'm the devil's advocate here, but when a local chef was asked about the IP, he said it was an insult because "food should be made love to -- slowly, with a lot of passion."

I tend to agree with that assessment.
Again this is a case of not having to be one or the other. Use what works for you, or not.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Every pot has a lid...or not.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I do have a couple of odd ball pots with no lids.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 02-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Guess I'm the devil's advocate here, but when a local chef was asked about the IP, he said it was an insult because "food should be made love to -- slowly, with a lot of passion."

Again this is a case of not having to be one or the other. Use what works for you, or not.

Two very interesting comments and I happen to agree with both. However if one loves to spend time in the kitchen cooking and baking as I do the Instant Pot gets minimal use and I suspect will continue to get minimal use. The Instant Pot is quick add the ingredients and then go watch TV or read a book.

On the other hand spending time making and cooking your food in an open pan or on a grill allows one to taste, add spices as needed, enjoy the aroma of the food as it cooks and for me just enjoy the moment that you are going to put something very special on the table.

In either case do it with a smile with loud music playing and a glass of great wine in your hand.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland

If you are referring to the Instant Pot it comes with a cover, however, you can buy a second glass cover if so desired.

As to other pots not all come with covers such as a Lodge frying pan, however, many covers do additional duty and fit more then one pan. If your covers have migrated to places unknown (some of mine have and you want to cover a pot use aluminum foil or even a plate but I don't recommend a plate if it is going into the oven or if you are not going to be around to watch it as it might crack.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Instapot and making love or drinking wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post

Two very interesting comments and I happen to agree with both. However if one loves to spend time in the kitchen cooking and baking as I do the Instant Pot gets minimal use and I suspect will continue to get minimal use. The Instant Pot is quick add the ingredients and then go watch TV or read a book.

On the other hand spending time making and cooking your food in an open pan or on a grill allows one to taste, add spices as needed, enjoy the aroma of the food as it cooks and for me just enjoy the moment that you are going to put something very special on the table.

In either case do it with a smile with loud music playing and a glass of great wine in your hand.
Guess there are a few thoughts on your post here; with Instapot, you can easily put together a complete meal like a roast or beef stroganoff, set it and forget it, while drinking the wine, making love, and/or watching TV. You can enjoy the dish after, and know it is "done" to perfection...without watching it...tender meats for example...but the spice....oh the spice is important to get it right;..... and that goes for the Instapot also!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another plus for Instant Pot that I have found is easy clean up. The pot liner is of quality double bottom stainless. I sear and cook rice in mine. In many pots that can be a bear to clean. So far the IP just wipes clean with green pad, soap and water.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
What size is best for AS travel?

Hi All - just wondering what size IP folks are using for their AS travel? I ordered and received mine from Amazon - it's the 7qt version and it seems huge!
I walked it over to our trailer to check out where I can store while on the road and it only fits in the coat closet of our 25' FC. Not sure I want to store a cooker with our clothes.
Thinking of returning it for the smaller one, but before doing so I would like opinions to help me decide.
Would love to try it out this weekend - but if it's going back, I won't be able to.
Thoughts on which size? 5qt vs 7qt?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
WC, I have the 6 gt. 7 in 1. Agree it it takes up a large footprint also. If they made 4 qt. I think it would be a better fit for on the road.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #80
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Our pot has 12 cup max in the pot, we love it, it replaced my wife's favorite 6 quart crock, and it fits perfect under the shirt tails in the closet. Get the silicone lid in addition to the glass, we use both all the time.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Awchief -I agree if there was a 4qt size, it may be the better fit for on the road travel.
I misspoke- I do have the 6qt, not 7. So dropping down to a 5qt may not be much of a space saver. Plus, in looking at the awesome babyback rib recipes it may be worth dealing with bigger unit.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #82
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
I guess "I'm not a smart man", but our label says 5 quarts, the inside pan is marked with cups and liters, Max limit mark is ~12 cups and ~4 liters. The 3L and 9 cup mark matches. ??
Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #83
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
The 5 qt pot officially holds 20 cups of fluid to the rim. Still not sure what the scale inside the pot is good for; perhaps if we used the cook book?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
5 qt vs 6 qt

We chose the new V3 Instapot 6 qt. that was $79.00, even though I think the 5 qt. would be fine. Turns out the 6qt was smaller in size than the 5 qt; 6 qt. =10.2 x 12.6 x 11.8 inches vs 5qt= 13 x 12.2 x 11.8 inches. Price was the same for either model; $79.99 on Amazon. Not sure the difference and why they even offer the 5 qt if it is bigger in size and holds less?
We love it so far and have used now 10 times....however, the wife was saying this past weekend, "gee, I wish it could make yogurt, like the more expensive models" (I am thinking "how often is she planning to make yogurt?"....but I did not say anything...)