Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #201
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We do, but we’d rather save our AH for more important uses, so we mostly cook with propane. [emoji6]
To each their own I guess. We full time so things may be different as we have all our stuff with us. But I'd rather use the sun when I can vs. propane, which I then have to fill.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #202
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We full-time as well. Different approaches. Also, no Room for space hogs like instant pots...at least for now. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #203
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
Once you own one and start using it, you’ll do whatever is needed to keep it operation. Simply the best thing since the fork.
[QUOTE=SCOTTinNJ;2175395]Just so happens I ran a test with my instant pot recently. Here's a picture of it running off the 1000w stock inverter with 300ah of lithiums. It runs either full tilt or hardly at all. So it's full tilt until it reaches temp then cycles between 100% and 0. There is no in between as I thought.

I made steel c Thank you for the information provided here. A few questions.... What size Instant Pot do you have - 3 qt, 6 qt? How many minutes for cooking the oats while at pressure? Do you let the keep warm setting operate while depressurizing or simply turn it off? Does the monitor being used measure that outlet only, or the entire camper? Thanks for posting.

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #204
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
[QUOTE=bugsbunny;2176082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Just so happens I ran a test with my instant pot recently. Here's a picture of it running off the 1000w stock inverter with 300ah of lithiums. It runs either full tilt or hardly at all. So it's full tilt until it reaches temp then cycles between 100% and 0. There is no in between as I thought.

I made steel c Thank you for the information provided here. A few questions.... What size Instant Pot do you have - 3 qt, 6 qt? How many minutes for cooking the oats while at pressure? Do you let the keep warm setting operate while depressurizing or simply turn it off? Does the monitor being used measure that outlet only, or the entire camper? Thanks for posting.

Katy

6 qt. That monitor measures the full trailer, but I shut down any significant loads for that test. No, I did not use the keep warm setting.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #205
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We full-time as well. Different approaches. Also, no Room for space hogs like instant pots...at least for now. [emoji6]

You don't know what you are missing! Ribs falling off the bone, brisket so tender you can pull it apart, stews, bone broth . . .
Old 11-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
[QUOTE=SCOTTinNJ;2176083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

6 qt. That monitor measures the full trailer, but I shut down any significant loads for that test. No, I did not use the keep warm setting.
Thanks Scott! I have a 3 quart that runs at 700W versus the 1000W for the 6 quart - I was trying to validate some measurements that I took - and this helps! I typically cook steel cut oats for about 10 minutes - is that nominally the time you use?

Thanks again!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #207
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
[QUOTE=bugsbunny;2176087]
Quote:

Thanks Scott! I have a 3 quart that runs at 700W versus the 1000W for the 6 quart - I was trying to validate some measurements that I took - and this helps! I typically cook steel cut oats for about 10 minutes - is that nominally the time you use?

Thanks again!

Katy
We use the porridge setting. Not sure how long it takes.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #208
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Probably too big for the AS but we bought a Ninja foodi, which combines an Instant pot and air fryer into the same appliance. Using it for a guest apartment we will occupy while renovating the house. Cooked some ribs today that were great, and the air fryer made the boys happy with crispy nuggets.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #209
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=SCOTTinNJ;2176083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

Hi

Running the monitor for a full cook cycle might be interesting. That would still depend on how long the cycle was, but at least you would be able to answer the basic question of "how many AH for ribs?".

Another complicating issue in this is that lead acid's behave differently than lithium batteries. Pull a close to 100A load current on stock lead acids and their capacity is *much* lower than at lower currents. With lithium's that's not the case. With either battery, a "22.4 AH for ribs" number would still be correct. The gotcha is that your "100AH usable" lead acids might only be 40 AH under this sort of load.

We went with the "to big / to much power / we'll never use it" logic the first year we had the trailer. After looking at how often we are on shore power (we like AC in August in the south ...) we found room for one. It got a lot of use.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #210
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
[QUOTE=uncle_bob;2176289]
Quote:

Hi

Running the monitor for a full cook cycle might be interesting. That would still depend on how long the cycle was, but at least you would be able to answer the basic question of "how many AH for ribs?".

Another complicating issue in this is that lead acid's behave differently than lithium batteries. Pull a close to 100A load current on stock lead acids and their capacity is *much* lower than at lower currents. With lithium's that's not the case. With either battery, a "22.4 AH for ribs" number would still be correct. The gotcha is that your "100AH usable" lead acids might only be 40 AH under this sort of load.

We went with the "to big / to much power / we'll never use it" logic the first year we had the trailer. After looking at how often we are on shore power (we like AC in August in the south ...) we found room for one. It got a lot of use.

Bob
That's basically our story. We used it on shore power a lot so I wanted to see what we could do with solar. I suppose it's not for everyone but if it's a bright sunny day I have no issue running it off 300ah lithiums and 400w solar.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I cooked a pound of good Italian sausage on the Sauté setting, added a jar of sauce, then about 1/2 pound of pasta.

Water to cover, pressure cook 5 minutes.

Next time, I will add some mushrooms with the sausage, and a couple handfuls of chopped kale with the pasta.

Dinner in a bowl, from one pot....I like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B700EBF8-E4B5-4F60-9DB1-D833186BB4D5.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	334981  
Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

What size Instant Pot do you carry with you in your Interstate?

And, do you think it's big enough to cook for two adults?

Trying to decide what's a reasonable size for on the road use for DW and I.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have the small, 3 qt, and it is certainly enough for two adults, with leftovers.

When I added water to this concoction, to cover the pasta, I was almost to the “don’t fill past here” line.

Maggie
Old 03-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #214
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Hi rmkrum - we also use a 3 qt. mini instant pot. One *pot* recipes will make enough for two meals for us. We use a 4 cup Pyrex w/ lid container for the leftovers. I often freeze the leftovers for later...or not...depending. I can reheat frozen leftovers in the oven without thawing.

I also have the silicone cover (highly recommend) for the pot, so I can cover and refrigerate soups/chili, etc. for later as well. I can heat up the soup/chili/stew again in the InstantPot the next day. Love our InstantPot!

My husband’s favorite is spaghetti made in the InstantPot. No mess- no boiling pasta on the stove - one pot cleanup. Easy!
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We love our Instapots...we have 3 qt for the AS and a 5qt at home...we purchased 4 additional 3qts and gave as Christmas presents to the kids! Try the clam chowder that's in the booklet...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is a great side dish, which kids love, and I wanted to try cooking it in my small IP.

It came out perfectly, sautéing the rice and orzo on the Sauté feature, adding the liquid and seasonings and then cooking on Rice.

Orzo Rice Pilaf

1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup orzo pasta
2 cups good chicken broth
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder
2 tbsp butter or butter/oil mixture

Sauté the rice and orzo in the butter or oil, stirring frequently, until light golden brown.

Turn IP off, add broth and seasonings, stir well, secure lid and press Rice button to cook.

Maggie
This has become one of my favorite things...umm, kind of a jag I’ve been on, actually.

I’ve successfully cut this in half for my 3 qt, and last time first sautéed some cut up chicken, then added the rest of the ingredients and hit the Rice button.

Stirred in some cracked black pepper and a good handful of Parmesan cheese when it was done, and it was very much like a risotto...delicious!

Maggie
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #217
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Looks fantastic. I got the 3 qt. for the camper as a Christmas gift from my son. I had the 6 qt. for home and love it. I want to master the ribs...but in general I like dry rub....so they don't look great and really need double the rub. I'll get it down with practice. My son bought the 6 qt. for himself after reading all the reviews and he has become quite a good instapot chef! I have not cooked a lot inside my camper...mine came with crazy leather walls and I'm concerned about them retaining odors....any guidelines? Febreeze?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #218
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
[QUOTE=Lumatic;1836799]

How do you smoke it? (sorry, couldn't resist)
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #219
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Click-bait...werks 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Instant Pot

We have the 3 quart with plenty of leftovers for the two of us. Also sometimes take the Air Fryer with us instead of the Instant Pot. The AF really makes some good wings. Not enough room for both.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote