Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Originally Posted by pmclemore
This discussion has placed me even more firmly on the fence. My safari didn't come with an oven, just a micro that hasn't ever worked. I was just about ready to spring for a nice little panasonic micro to replace it - and now realize that we really didn't miss it that much as we dry camp as often as not. An oven would be nice, but not sure I want to invest that much. So here I sit.
I don't use my oven all that much - but I just got one of those long match thingies that will make it a whole lot easier to light, so that may change.

Call a SALVAGE YARD and see if they've got a wrecked or abandoned RV that has an oven you can buy inexpensively. I'll bet you can find one for $50. It doesn't have to come from an Airstream... like a furnace or water heater there are only a few brands that are common to many RV's.

Paula Ford

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #44
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Originally Posted by empresley
someone should make a moven.
but there might be a lot of shoven.
If only we could have more loven,
then we could forget about the oven.

Diversity makes the microwave's platter go round and round.
Nicely done em

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #45
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We use out oven regularly. In fact, I just went to great pains to replace our ailing oven with a unit that works as intended.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Originally Posted by Janet
We use ours all the time.I learned at a recent rally that it will store 14 bottles of merlot.....
Spoken like a true NW native

When needing to feed a group we've bought one of the frozen lasagnas that come in an aluminum pan. Starts out as a great ice block to get the fridge on track and then "oven time" is a great time to hang out and talk. Those microwave conversations just arn't the same

No microwave/toaster oven yet. I'm fence sitting on adding this. Having a hard time justifying the additional space it'll take up. Guess I'll have to see how many bottles of merlot I can fit in one!

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
What Oven?

We have a stove top and a convection microwave which is great. We do most of our cooking out side the Airstream with the electric skillet or grill. When boondocking we usually stick to simple meals that can be prepared on the stove top or the grill outside.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Actually have not used it yet (AS has been winterized and is now in storage) but I guarantee we will use it on our first trip out probably in late March 2007.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member
2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Yes, we use the oven

Bandit is still new to us, and in our first week of camping we used it only once. BUT, when the clock (really the 'brains') on my house-installed oven stopped working, we used the trailer oven for two weeks until we got a replacement.
The two major justifications I give for towing a trailer are 1) it's a comfortable, safe rolling dog house, and 2) it's a travelling kitchen which allows us to drink good coffee and wine and eat good food no matter where we roam. As others have said, meat loaf, roasts, baked chicken ... and, fresh baked bread. Yummmmmm!
Bob, Dianne, and Tess the WFT
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
If we lived in a mobile home perhaps I would like RV parks (they look and feel much alike)... but we don't. We love Forest Service/National Park/State Park CG's, and they typically do not have hookups. I try to minimize use of the generator to avoid disrupting campers around us. So we use the oven... and love it!
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the responses! Looks like it really depends on how you camp and what you eat....I think I will probably keep the oven as it can be used for storage anyway if I don't use it. But then again, who knows. Thanks again!
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member
We use our oven all the time. We have both oven and microwave. Would give up the oven before the microwave.

What's camping without some fresh brownies, bread or a pie?

Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We have'nt decided if we should use ours.

I bet I could store a lot of clothes in that space....

Is it dangerous to store your clothes in the oven?

I have to choose between my own closet... and having my wife able to bake cholocate cakes... decisions decisions.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #54
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
campadk - you could have nice toasty and warm clothes if you store your clothes in the oven!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California

We boondock much more often than not. The microwave doesn't work without AC so we hardly use it...hate to run the generator unless absolutely necessary.

The oven is used every trip. We use it to cook roasts, make baked and oven fried potatoes, bake biscuits, make toast... and so on. We cooked Thanksgiving dinner in it last Thanksgiving. I also keep a meat thermometer in the AS for roasting. MMMM! I love the smell of a roast in the oven!

We would be lost without our oven.
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #56
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Had it both ways...

Our last A/S had a micro, no oven. I had plans on removing the micro and installing an oven, which would fit our needs more closely. A Semi-truck changed those plans for us by running into the rear of the Safari. We now have a GT with an oven. We like it much better, more versitile IMHO.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote