Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I see trouble.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
You can actually use the oven in an Airstream!? I will have to point that out to my wife. Can you use the oven in your house, too?
I see trouble straight ahead....I can always tell when DH wants something baked because he will say "Remember those pies you made last summer? Those were really good." Sometimes he varies it with "I am really hungry for biscuits this morning." or "I'm all out of my favorite oatmeal cookies." You just have to learn to speak in code.

We are debating right now about putting just a cook top in the Pacer or doing the full oven with it. Not a lot of room in that camper and how often would we need an oven? I guess that depends on if I hear any of the above statements while we are camping. I've also heard they have restaurants some places too.
Sandy

Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #380
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
You can actually use the oven in an Airstream!? I will have to point that out to my wife. Can you use the oven in your house, too?
You have to determine whether the oven operates on wood or coal. Some will work with both.

In the newer Airstreams people mistakenly think the oven works on gas—they get down on the floor and try to light the "pilot light" way in the back of the cavity while someone else turns a dial on the front of the stove and pushes it in.

You can't see the so-called "pilot light" without a flashlight and that's probably why people think it operates on gas. The dial is a Rumptly Bifurcator used to tune the cooktop. Some people are so flexible they can stretch a hand all to the way to back of the oven, hold flashlight in their teeth and manipulate the Bifurcator at the same time.

It is so much easier to crumple up some newspaper (if you can find a newspaper, otherwise use an iPad for kindling), add some kindling and then some bigger pieces of wood and get a good fire going. You can add coal to it too. There may be some smoke, but that is what the fan over the stove is for. Our stove is a Magic Chef, a company now out of business and for good reason, it appears.

We do have a 1931 Magic Chef stove at home, one of their first, and it is easy to light the stove. It operates on propane or natural gas with a simple turn of an orifice; you don't have to change the orifice. The company motto was, "Magic Chef, the company that goes backward in time".

Gene

Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #381
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Francisco , California
I use my oven all the time. I bring a couple boxes of frozen croissants that you proof over night. Bake them off in the morning and people are clamoring for them!
V6, Tow Group, Comfort and Convenience Group
o)))))))o
iwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #382
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We use it on just about every trip. Rather than grease up the kitchen (the remodel doesn't yet include a vent fan), we precook bacon at home and warm it up in the oven with croissants from Costco. Add coffee and a view and the morning is complete!

Our oven is over 40 years old and still works like a charm. We use it for dinners too.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #383
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Cookies.... :-)
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #384
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
First trip with only cooktop and drawers instead of oven is in the books. Glad I made the swap. Used the Dutch oven on the cooktop and never missed the oven. Love the additional space in the drawers.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #385
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The convection oven works great for baking. I bake pies and fresh scones. Looking to make a cake.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #386
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
If I had to loose one, I would loose the convection MW. Our trailer came with the combo C/MW and a cook top. I was fortunate to find an oven/cooktop combo and lost the one large drawer under the old cook top. The one deep drawer was almost useless. If you piled stuff in, you could guarantee that what you needed next was always on the bottom. The oven cooks like a dream and is capable of making my dinner and dessert and my trailer spells wonderful to sleep in at night while away from electricity. I have even designed a spring attachment to secure a roasting pot in the oven while under way. We prepared an apple pie and put it in the fridge, Placed the beef roast in the roasting pot along with onions, carrots potatoes etc. The drive to the camp ground was 3 hours so we set the temperature accordingly. Once we backed the trailer into the site we took out the roast and placed the pie in to bake. The time the set up was complete the roast had rested and was ready to eat just out under the awning. Returning to the trailer the smell of fresh baked pie was enough to make anyone feel relaxed and at home.

Having a family that is involved in everything it is hard to find time to cook and enjoy a true family dinner. The AS with a working gas oven makes that possible. Microwaves just don't have the same appeal. I will admit it is hard to warm up your coffee in the morning in the oven, but that I can handle with a good enamel coffee pot.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #387
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Smile Oven use

I use our oven all the time. Our 28 ft. international came with a full stove cook top and oven. Have lived without a microwave for 5 years but would like to buy one for this summer. Anyone have an idea of where to put it so it's convenient to use ?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #388
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
So far our oven is used for storage. We're not big oven users at home so really scratched our heads over that big space hog oven.

We bought the 2013 International 19 off the lot so didn't have the opportunity to opt for a microwave....which we sorely miss for warming coffee and cooking Amy's frozen dinners.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #389
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
We use ours on every trip.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #390
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Every trip
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #391
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
So far our oven is used for storage. We're not big oven users at home so really scratched our heads over that big space hog oven.

We bought the 2013 International 19 off the lot so didn't have the opportunity to opt for a microwave....which we sorely miss for warming coffee and cooking Amy's frozen dinners.
We have an oven (which we do use quite a bit) but when we know we will have electric hookups we also carry a small, inexpensive mircowave ... you can get a small one for $50 or less. We set it up outside (since there's not a lot of extra space inside the 19'). We made a "cozy" from vinyl to cover it to protect from elements. Works fine for us.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #392
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I love my convection / microwave oven! We've only been on 3 trips, but we've used it every time!