Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #323
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
If your propane (flamable gas) alarm is coming on my guess is the pilot isn't lit and you're venting propane. It doesn't take much of a nose to detect that long before there's a problem. If your oven is "baking" and you get a flammable gas alarm then yes, be very afraid. Either your burner is a hopeless mess or you have a large leak in the lines after the control knob.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #324
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
If your propane (flamable gas) alarm is coming on my guess is the pilot isn't lit and you're venting propane. It doesn't take much of a nose to detect that long before there's a problem. If your oven is "baking" and you get a flammable gas alarm then yes, be very afraid. Either your burner is a hopeless mess or you have a large leak in the lines after the control knob.
Oven baking, alarm six minutes later, yes I was afraid.
Now look, my memory has disappeared.
Great....

Guess I won't have to worry about it anymore.
C

Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #325

2006 19' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneal View Post
Just curious to see how many people actually us the Oven funcion as opposed to the cook top? Looking at replacing my oven with a cooktop on a remodel and just curious to see how many people actually use it.

Thanks!
I only use my oven about once every few weeks on the road, more often when we are stationary for longer periods. Hey, it IS great storage! Then again, I almost never use a microwave; but a convection oven might be useful--you can get the microwave/convection oven combos that might be more useful to you if you don't want to use the lower cabinet space for a regular oven. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #326
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
The first thing I do when I've moved into a new place, apartment, house, boat, eventually AS, is to bake brownies in the oven. For some reason this little test tells me how the oven will work, and it smells SOOOO gooood! :-)

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #327
Rivet Master

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1969 25' Tradewind
1983 34' Limited
fairview , New Mexico
Oven use

I use mine all the time, for storage and for cooking-you can get a turkey sizr roaster in it-not so wide as deep-love it-bakes better than the house oven-T
Old 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #328
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Wouldn't be without the oven, however the microwave mostly serves as a breadbox
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #329
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I had a cooktop with Convection Micro. I had the Microwave removed and a cootop oven installed. I used it much more. The Microwave requires you to be plugged in. The oven does not. Much better for dry or boondock camping.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Oven baking, alarm six minutes later, yes I was afraid.
Now look, my memory has disappeared.
Great....

Guess I won't have to worry about it anymore.
C
What sort of alarm? older carbon dioxide alarms were were prone to false alarms from moisture. Cooking with propane introduces moisture. Alarms are a very good thing but there are a lot of alarms out there that provide so many false alarms that they are useless. A good CO and flammable gas alarm is $50-200. Vented Propane should be discernible to anyone with an average nose. The alarms are there to provide back-up for unoccupied areas and for when your asleep. If you're monitoring the oven and the alarm is going off it's quite likely you are getting a false alarm. Don't dismiss it. That could be fatal. But do get verification from a known standard. Your local fire department has the equipment and if you are willing to work around their schedule they will likely work with you.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #331
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I will try getting a new alarm when I go home. It was in the trailer when I got it. Only went off a few times in the year or so I had it, I think because the oven pilot had gone out. I still want to check out if I moved the pilot light over a bit before I went in the hospital and possibly it is causing the problem. I thought it had come loose and I saw something that looked like it should hook on there, so I moved it a little...

Carol
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #332
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
I think if you cook with an oven at home, you will cook with one in the airstream. My wife prepares all sorts of things and puts them in the freezer (lasanga, chicken potpie, yummy stuff). Put the dish in the fridge the day before, then bake away the next day. Very yummy and the whole campsite smells great. Plus she makes up a bunch of cookie dough and places it in the freezer (she needs the space in the fridge) and there is nothing like fresh baked cookies and milk on chilly evening in the woods (plus, warms up the trailer a bit)
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #333
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
WELL, I am so glad you had to write about fresh baked cookies and milk while I am sitting out here on a chilly evening in the woods and none of them are here for me to eat. I got lost, ended up pulling into some fancy resort in the middle of the night, the office is closed, a BIG STORM is just getting underway and I am sitting here in a big overstuffed chair out on a porch next to a cabin, hoping trees don't fall down on me at 3:30 in the morning and wishing I had some of those cookies. My Airstream is back at home and yes, there are cookies, many different kinds of delicious cookies in it. Actually I can't complain too much since I did find a great bottle of Pinot Noir tucked in the car after a tour through the wine region here today. The wind was howling so loud that I couldn't fall asleep in the car, so I thought I would head for the porch with my laptop and see if there was any WIFI here. Lucky me. I almost feel like John Muir when he spent the night up some tree in a big storm listening to the majesty of the wind. In my version though, the tree has electricity and internet service so you all can listen in too. I am hoping that the restaurant opens early so I can at least get breakfast in a couple of hours. I'll be right back, I want to find a blanket for my legs...

Carol
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Carol, you do have the adventures.

We have 2 propane burners and a microwave in our Interstate, no oven. We have found an 8" and 12" Dutch Oven serve quite nicely for baked anything. They weigh a bit, yes, but so would an oven. We bake bread, coffee cake, french bread, cobblers, etc., in them, as well as bacon, sausage, etc., outside over a fire. Wonderful!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #335
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
I will try getting a new alarm when I go home. It was in the trailer when I got it.
Probably a good investment if you do some research and actually get something better. There are still lots of alarms on the market that are worse than worthless.

Quote:
I Only went off a few times in the year or so I had it, I think because the oven pilot had gone out.
The pilot should not go out. If it's defective you can still use the oven but light it manually instead of using the pilot. The pilot should not, in my opinion, be left lit while towing.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #336
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have an oven, and I am very happy to have it. We use it camping for various things. I also am thankful to have to :a/s: oven right outside the house. Useful for power outages, xtra oven etc. As we will be retired at the end of the year, I also plan on making lots of meals that I freeze ahead-they will make great meals to just heat up in the oven. for most of our evening meals however we bbq. Have a microwave, but have not used it as much as our oven.
Making a choice oven vs microwave---the oven wins out hands down.
Must remember that the oven works without electric and the microwave must have power. If you are attached to power, that maybe ok., but if you are out boondocking- you will really appreciate the oven.