Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #401
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
My wife bakes cookies, pies, cakes, and chicken in our convection M/W oven when we have hook-ups.
What type of M/W convection oven to you have. We are currently shopping for one and would love a suggestion. Thanks!
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #402
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Couldn't imagine living without my gas oven/stove top. Add a baking stone and it can't be beat. As a former Chef I wouldn't cook with anything else. Gas, stone and cast iron are all I use.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #403
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TincanRitz View Post
What type of M/W convection oven to you have. We are currently shopping for one and would love a suggestion. Thanks!
Sylvania, came installed.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #404
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Couldn't imagine living without my gas oven/stove top. Add a baking stone and it can't be beat. As a former Chef I wouldn't cook with anything else. Gas, stone and cast iron are all I use.
Anything less would not be cooking. I like the way you think/cook

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #405
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I am the cook in our house. First thing we'll do when we start the reno on our new/old trailer will be to rip out the MW.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #406
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Why such negative feelings about microwaves or convection ovens? My husband is a chef, and has no problem using a microwave occasionally, to thaw, to reheat, etc. There are times when it's convenient.

I guess it's a matter of preference, which I suppose it's what everyone is stating - their preference. But I can't help but feel there's a general feeling of negativity towards the microwave and convection oven.

Am I just imagining it?
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #407
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Francisco , California
Last time I read through the entire thread it seemed pretty evenly divided to me IMHO.

I know for me with a small trailer a MW doesn't make sense because I camp places where there is no power, and I don't use a generator. But I know others that make great stuff from their MW/Conv units.
V6, Tow Group, Comfort and Convenience Group
o)))))))o
iwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #408
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Zappers can be useful just like ovens. But they do seem sort of wrong (should it be so easy to warm up a drink?), but I couldn't get along without it. But I think electric cooktops are evil.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #409
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwbull View Post
Last time I read through the entire thread it seemed pretty evenly divided to me IMHO.

I know for me with a small trailer a MW doesn't make sense because I camp places where there is no power, and I don't use a generator. But I know others that make great stuff from their MW/Conv units.
Our previous trailer had both a gas oven and a microwave. This trailer only has the convection microwave. Seems to be the trend now in $400k motor coaches and Airstreams.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #410
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Our previous trailer had both a gas oven and a microwave. This trailer only has the convection microwave. Seems to be the trend now in $400k motor coaches and Airstreams.
It really comes down to how much you love food.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #411
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:

I bake bread in mine almost every morning. I also roast vegetables in the oven whenever I can't use my Dutch oven. I don't have a microwave in the AS, but I use one a lot at home.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Or how close you are to restaurants or how much you grill out or how much microwave food is in your trailer or how many fish you caught...
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #413
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We use our oven in our 1972 for two purposes. When in the mountains where it is nice and cool, we do bake in it. Nothing like Pillsbury orange frosted Cinnamon rolls with fresh cooked bacon, BTW cooked on the stove, not outside on a 60 degree cool morning. Other thing over the years while traveling a few turkeys, birthday cakes, muffins, cupcakes, cookies lots of frozen pizzas and bread.
The second purpose is while down at the beach to store the breads and other sugary items due to the ants. We don't sue the oven due to the heat, still cook the bacon inside as the exhaust fan above the stove is very effective. The oven works well keeping the baked items (store bought) fresh and ant free.
We are considering remodeling the counter and cabinets, and thought of going with a new range and oven combination, but really don't think that the new ovens are as sound as the old magic chef oven that still works very well.

We've done the microwaves and have had more problems with storage, blowing circuits or just having the right place to put them. with today's new technology the combination options like the convection ovens with stove tops do offer some pretty decent products we will be considering those, but will keep the oven as an option.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #414
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Supper is so much better when its cooked in the oven, (if its not on the grill)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #415
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I really like the MW/convection unit. We had the gas oven removed to install it, since there wasn't a good place to mount a MW. It does it all. It's an oven, with convection which is great. It's a broiler, it's a grill and it's a Microwave. It does it all. The only downside is you need 120v.
Ok one other downside. It can be a little confusing to operate. Don't lose the manual.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #416
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I cook a great deal, and camping is only another way to do decent meals, using different methods; I've cooked quite a bit with using the dutch oven, and so on.

With this new trailer, I'm now challenged with a new cooking device. My only complaint is, the instruction booklet that came with the convection/micro was probably written in Mandarian and translated by a former Microsoft tech writer.

In other words, the instruction booklet sucks.

Does anyone know of a better instruction resource that gets me more familiar with this oven?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #417
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
After two trailers and two MH's both my wife and I prefer Microwave/convection cooking
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #418
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I cook a great deal, and camping is only another way to do decent meals, using different methods; I've cooked quite a bit with using the dutch oven, and so on.

With this new trailer, I'm now challenged with a new cooking device. My only complaint is, the instruction booklet that came with the convection/micro was probably written in Mandarian and translated by a former Microsoft tech writer.

In other words, the instruction booklet sucks.

Does anyone know of a better instruction resource that gets me more familiar with this oven?
Sorry your device usefulness is under completeness. Please to adjust manifestly.

Click OK to Continue.

Yeah, the one that came with my Sharp is obtuse alright. It might help if you told us exactly what model microwave you have.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #419
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Sorry your device usefulness is under completeness. Please to adjust manifestly.

Click OK to Continue.

Yeah, the one that came with my Sharp is obtuse alright. It might help if you told us exactly what model microwave you have.
Well, the model I have is the one that came with the 2013 FC FB. Sorry for the obtuse reply, but A/S doesn't list the model, and I can't get to the trailer right now.

Hell, the PDF of the oven manual doesn't list a model number.

Oh, and I made a mistake. The damn manual was printed in Thailand, so it had to be a Thai translator who worked for Microsoft that interpreted the Mandarian original version.

Wow, I'm not getting even close, am I.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #420
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
I bake bread in mine almost every morning. I also roast vegetables in the oven whenever I can't use my Dutch oven. I don't have a microwave in the AS, but I use one a lot at home.
Cool! I make homemade pizza a lot and the baking stone works great for that. Naan and other flat bread too. I like the gas because it's way more precise when controlling the temperatures compared to an electric element, and when working with cast iron it's even more forgiving. I do have a little convection oven that does come in handy for reheating stuff. I'm a total snob when it comes to food and I just can't work with electric elements and microwaves. Of course, most people wouldn't spend hours and hours trying to perfect the perfect pizza sauce....i almost have it, trying to decide if I really need the red wine vinegar.