Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
Can you actually make good old-fashioned yeast bread without an "old-fashioned" oven????

Edee
We have the combo Micro/Convection oven. Yes, it does a great job on yeast bread.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #198
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Is anyone willing to share recipes? Our unit has a oven and I would like to get creative once we get out and about. Is there any difference in temp or time when you cook stuff?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Actually altitude is about the only thing I've had to adjust for.... once you get used to your oven! Our old one was bad about the temp so it took a time or two to figure the "conversion". After we put a 12x12 tile in above the heat source, it held the temp very even. I haven't had Phil put a tile in our new one yet but I think I will soon. Made a big difference. I'm doing the second pan of a new killer carrot cake recipe I found ...as we speak. I'll see if it gets a bit browner than I like on the bottom. Last time it did...

PM if you'd like some recipes!!

Edee
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If the temp is off, the thermostat can be calibrated. Prior to calibration, mine was off more than 200 degrees. Sounds like a lot, but it is less than ¼ turn in the adjustment. After calibration, it will keep the temp to plus or minus 8 degrees. Putting a tile or pizza stone to help stabilize the temp is a good idea.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #201
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi all,

When spec'ing out our 19' Bambi we went for the standard oven because I had visions of fresh-baked blueberry muffins with morning coffee at some spectacular campsites... The other choice was the microwave as it was an either/or option on the 19' Bambi.

So we (I) went with the standard oven and 2 years later we have had immumerable morning coffees at spectacular campsites - but I have yet to get a fresh, oven baked blueberry muffin..... Just the ones out of the box are the ones I like...

In absolute fact we have never turned our oven on, not even once so I really don't even know if it works.

I know, I should just bake them myself.... One of these days...

But in the interim (2 years) we have only used our standard oven as a bread box. If you ever looked in it you will find -- Special K, donuts, bread, etc etc dry goods.

So, I guess we are in the category of those who never use the oven... But someday there will be fresh baked blueberry muffins - I can almost taste them..

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #202
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
So what kind of "tile" does one need to even out the temp in the oven? Is it a Williams-Sonoma type device or is it literally a tile?

We use our oven on almost every outing. Just have to be careful not to burn on the bottom.

Greg
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
New Stove

The Magic Chef Gone Wild will soon be a thing of the past. I really wanted to keep it but it needed a new thermostat and alas none could be found for the old girl. It had two temps - off and call the fire dept.! We picked up a new Atwood Wedgewood Vision yesterday. Advise if you can keep your old stove working safely keep it!!! There is something to be said for the quality of the old MC (old anything it seems) as compared to the new one. The oven rack is really thin and flimsy looking. I've got old cake coolers sturdier than that! I hope the MC rack fits the Wedgie. And stainless steel won't chip like the thin enamel used today - even in residental use models. But I have an oven that I can bake in now soooo........ As they say, "They don't make 'em like they used to." We'll see how it works out.
Glad to know about the tile/pizza stone thing just in case.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Sue - don't mean to be a scrounge (well, actually I do) - if you've not dumped the MC yet - will you sell me the knobs off it...?

Thanks....
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
I believe unglazed quarry tile is the best. A pizza stone is more expensive but guess it would work. We bought ours at Home Depot... just a red unglazed 12 inch tile.

Edee
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Pizza Stones

Quote:
I believe unglazed quarry tile is the best. A pizza stone is more expensive but guess it would work. We bought ours at Home Depot... just a red unglazed 12 inch tile.

Edee
Sounds like what we knew as a Satillo tile (Saw-t-yo {ll is pounced as y}) tile, produced in Saltillo, Mexico. Many of them had tiny dog (or even baby human) tracks in the clay prior to firing.

As far as I can tell, the advantage of the pizza stone would be a greater area. After measuring the rack in my Magic Chef, there is room for a 16” by 14⅜” stone. I am a little concerned about the lack of space for air to circulate around the sides of the stone, both front and back. I am considering the plusses and minuses. I will check back in with later results.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #207
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
That lil' Ovenette sounds great but, alas, none on eBay right now.

I had been thinking of replacing the MC in my Caravel with a 2 burner cooktop to gain some counter space but didn't really want to give up the oven.

--Dwight
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #208
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
After measuring the rack in my Magic Chef, there is room for a 16” by 14⅜” stone. I am a little concerned about the lack of space for air to circulate around the sides of the stone, both front and back. I am considering the plusses and minuses.
You wouldn't want something that covers the whole area of the oven... Ours was only 12 inch tile that fit over the burner area. That will diffuse the direct heat from the flame and, I believe, create more circulation??? Or something... anyway it really worked!

Edee
Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet That’s what I thought

Quote:
You wouldn't want something that covers the whole area of the oven... Ours was only 12 inch tile that fit over the burner area. That will diffuse the direct heat from the flame and, I believe, create more circulation??? Or something... anyway it really worked!

Edee
Thanks Edee,

That’s what I was thinking. I am going to check out other alternatives. The 14” by 16” stones I have seen online would really inhibit circulation.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #210
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Sue - don't mean to be a scrounge (well, actually I do) - if you've not dumped the MC yet - will you sell me the knobs off it...?

Thanks....
LOL Ganglin! We both have colds and outside temps have dipped below *0 over night and less than 20* for a couple of days now. Currently a heat wave at 26* but it's nice and sunny. Anyhoo, ...... we haven't really talked about the install or disposal of the MC just yet. How about you pm me a reminder and I'll get back with you. Are you going to the Midwest in Morraine in June?

sue

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote