Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Martin, don't worry, I thought the appliance on the right was a dishwasher and the one on the left was the fridge. Matter of fact, my first reaction was: Oh my god, it's a dishwasher!
Hi, my eyes aren't getting any better, either, but at least I knew it wasn't a dish washer, because that's me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Dishwasher challenged

Your enthusiasm for the oven club is humbling
Others might follow. Hopefully with a bit less bumbling.
Coven was the key.
But now that the secret is out;
underground is where we need to be.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I definitely need new glasses. I too thought it was a dishwasher. Of course I also thought they had really baked those cookies in the oven until I realized that they just HAD to be store bought and stuck on a tray to make those of us ovenless streamers jealous. No one can make cookies at home that look that perfect. It was a great try, though. Had me for a moment. I don't see Dometic anywhere on that "refer" though. Is that a whirlpool decal I just about can make out?

Barry
Those are real baked cookies actually. It's a Dometic fridge... maybe should call it a freezer though since it freezes the carrots...
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #158
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
I'm a newbie and our 'new' AS is still hooked to our pickup since we arrived home at 1am...and up at 5am with the puppy. In our last AS ('73 Land Yacht), I baked every trip we took. Can't wait to take our new 'baby' out and baking will be part of her life...ahhh...the aromas.

I rarely fry anything inside, hate the mess, so we have a coleman that we keep on the tailgate of the pick up. I kinda like cooking outside too, makes me feel young. LOL! (The days of tents and young children and Oregon rain).
Old 08-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We were camping this week, I had fresh baked oatmeal cookies - twice. Yum! We use the oven much more than we did the Microwave in our last trailer. Ideally I would have both, but the 21' is a little small.
Dave
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Our breakfast this AM in the Smokies (OK, not quite IN the Smokies, but ON the Plateau):
Attachment 42376Attachment 42375
Believe it or not, that little old stovetop Ovenette works well. As for the skillet, nothing but an old Griswold cast iron will do.
Well Sugarfoot...I was so inspired by your ovenette picture, I pick one up on Ebay. Paid $12.50 for it. Can't wait to try it on my next adventure!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #161
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't recall if I posted this, but yes, we do use ours. Norby even temp tested it and found it's pretty much dead on.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
we don't have one and don't even use the one at home very much. the microvave/convection works fine. the convection learning curve is a bit like using the nuker for the first time.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
Well Sugarfoot...I was so inspired by your ovenette picture, I pick one up on Ebay. Paid $12.50 for it. Can't wait to try it on my next adventure!
Sugarfoot & Slowolf, tell me all about the Ovenette. It seems like I've heard that name before but ... ???? I dunno where - maybe much earlier in the oven thread perhaps?

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #164
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
Slo, you got a steal! I've seen them go for upwards of $75 on eBay for a complete set.

Sue, like Silvertwinkie says, the Ovenette is pretty accurate temp-wise. Don't know if this is fact, but I've heard these where available in the Airstream store back in Wally Byum's day. The base is placed on the burner, gas stoves only. Titrate the flame to get the temp where you want, high at first to preheat about 50 degrees greater than your baking temp. Put your biscuit pan on the wire rack under the lid, watch the thermometer and adjust accordingly. It preheats way faster than my Princess Oven, uses less LPG overall, and you have "oven" fresh goodies. There is a bit of a learning curve, but its a handy little gadget for low volume baking and does more than just biscuits.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Rivet Ovenette

Thanks for the info. Don't want to be a pest but what else can/do you bake in the Ovenette and do I need one?
Also, I think Silvertwinkie was refering to the regular oven .... after the Midwest Rally 2006 the Twinks, Norbie, Ike & I all went to northern IL. on a couple extra days and there was some oven talk. Norbie made the best pizza from scratch we've ever had! And Mrs. Silvertrinkie makes the most amazing mac & cheese!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Also, I think Silvertwinkie was refering to the regular oven .... sue
Oh, guess I had ovenette on the brain.

But to answer your question Sue, you can use the ovenette to bake just about anything you bake in the Airstream oven so long as it fits under the lid on the wire rack. You don't NEED one, it's just another option. I still use my Airstream oven at rallies, large gatherings, etc. I use my ovenette when I want to save time, don't want to heat up the galley as much or want to conserve propane. I've made brownies, 10" frozen pizzas, biscuits, etc. I haven't tried casseroles or pies yet but wouldn't hesitate. I don't camp with a microwave so the ovenette fills the gap . . . sorta kinda.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #167
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Becki and I both like to cook and I really get into vintage kitchen gadgets. I have an old penguin thermos type food transporter...good for hot or cold. I also have several (OK, I got carried away on e-bay) 1930's era Waring "blendors" that still work great...makes the best frozen adult beverages and, with the beehive bases, look great with the Airstream. I really want an old Sunbeam stand mixer, but Becki says we don't have room in the cupboards or on the counters. These ovenettes look like they would be way cool to have. I'll have to keep an eye out for one on e-bay just to have as a conversation piece at home.

Now that I think of it, one would make a great outdoor oven to use with the side burners next to the grill...hey, I may have to go over to e-bay right now. Oh, wait, I'm at work and won't have time. Well, there's always later!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #168
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
We use the overn to broil and bake. It works great!

Donna & MIke
Flitzwhopper, I did a search on the word Broil and your post came up. To my wife and I broil means the heat is above the item being cooked. In our 07 AS we cannot figure for the life of us any change when we move our oven control from a regular temperature setting over to the broil setting. In both positions the heat is "below" the item being cooked.

I asked the tech at the AS dealership and he just looked at me like I was crazy. Am I??