Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Help me do my dishes

We just bought a Flying Cloud 28A with a single bowl sink. Our previous trailer had a double bowl sink. How is everyone handling the single bowl? I am assuming you wash dishes in the sink, have a separate basin sitting on the counter for rinsing, and a drip rack to put the wet dishes in. Any better ideas or suggestions?
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I just know you're waiting for this one. PAPER PLATES

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
And Amazon has a paper plate, napkin, and bowl dispensers for RV's. (Camco) We mounted them above the sink under the cabinets. Other dishes just get washed all at once in the sink. Then pull the stopper and rinse. We have a small dish drainer the sits on the stove cover.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies, but paper plates, not gonna happen.
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
We use a microfiber mat on the counter for draining/drying and wash and rinse in the sink bowl. I either put a dollop of soap on the dish or on the dishrag and wash, then rinse under the running water. Using a basin full of soapy water to wash seems rather unhygienic to me - kind of like taking a bath rather than a shower. I don't want to be washing dishes in dirty water.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Soapy-water in sink...wash dishes as they are placed in sink...drain soapy-water...run water over dishes to rinse...dry and put-away. (And use paper plates majority of the time.)
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I just know you're waiting for this one. PAPER PLATES
FreedomRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
I use a small clean colorful plastic 1 US gallon paint bucket to put my hot soapy water in. This allows the rest of sink to be open for rinsing. The bucket can be purchased at any of your box home improvement stores. You can use any small container about that size. This process along with a drying mat on the counter works best for me.

Good luck ... you'll make something work!
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
We have a 23 ft. (smaller water tank) and the amount of water used for dishes is easily more than for showers. If you boondock, the suggestions about using a gallon pail and very light rinse water is good. We use the biggest dirty pan/bowl that fits to hold wash water, rinse along the edge, and microfiber drying mat with dish rack. Amazing how well the microfiber mats keep water from being a problem. We have been amazed with how little water you can use, but how much you can use if not careful. Have been thinking about more paper plate use, but hate the waste.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I have a tub that sits in the sink (dislike too many things on the counter). It's half filled with soapy water and dishes go into it. I use sponge-scourer to scrub dishes and then use the faucet to rinse. Rinse water is generally captured in the tub.

Dishes sit in a dish rack on a towel on top of the stove cover. Once dishes are done, I dump the soapy water into the toilet. What remaining water hasn't dried/drained from the dishes, I usually wipe dry with a dish towel and it's all done.

I think there have been multiple threads about the single vs. double sink debate, but I much prefer a deep single sink to shallower double sinks. And either of those to the shallow single sink that was in my Bambi. That was pretty much worthless as a sink.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Rox View Post
We use to think that. We found eco friendly solutions. But if you must insist. It is a challenge. You will be washing and rinsing one dish at a time and put it on a drying rack above the stove cover.

After three trips, we opt for the disposable solution.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Vermontmary
In our 25 footer, I put up the flap-extension, then drying mat and collapsible drying rack. Then, dish soap in collapsible dish pan. As hot water is running in, I wash glasses, then dishes, etc., rinsing as bowl is filling. Then, if there are still dishes and pans, I trap rinse water in the sink. I've been forgetting to dump water into toilet-- that's a sensible strategy! I like the collapsible things that fit perfectly under the sink.
Vermontmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I hate small sinks but like clean dishes! I endorse paper plates disposed of in the campfire. For washing I use either the largest pan or bowl filled with hot soapy water or an actual plastic dishpan for washing and the sink for rinsing. I prefer to rinse off the things being washed with hot water, partly to warm them up, then put them in the dishpan to soak for a few minutes. I think the soap holds the grease and dirt in suspension and flowing water carries it down the drain. I never liked rinsing in standing water because after the first thing is rinsed the water isn't clean anymore to my way of thinking. I believe soap works a lot better with hot water and I like to rinse with water as hot as my hands can stand. Most of the water I use is for washing dishes.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Thank you for saying this. Paper plates are extremely rarely used by us either. If I were to use them, I might while on the road. Chris asked me to consider doing that on our next trip. But I think we do just fine washing what we use, which is very little while traveling. I want to leave a better world for my children, my grandchildren, and so on. Paper plates need to end.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
We just bought a Flying Cloud 28A with a single bowl sink. Our previous trailer had a double bowl sink. How is everyone handling the single bowl? I am assuming you wash dishes in the sink, have a separate basin sitting on the counter for rinsing, and a drip rack to put the wet dishes in. Any better ideas or suggestions?
Eat at a restaurant ;-)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We have one of these paint buckets (about 12" x 5") that fits in the sink. This is the dishpan and very handy. When we have full hookups it's not needed but when we don't it's a water saver.

Name:   blue bucket.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  9.2 KB

Here's a link although this seems to be a box of 12. I got ours locally for about $1.00 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-5-q...5-12/204078587

Put a few inches of hot soapy water in the bottom and wash dishes, stacking them around bucket (but in sink). Rinse dishes into same bucket with tap water and either again, place around bucket (but in sink) to drip dry or place on a dish mat on counter.

If Gray tank capacity is really a concern, take full bucket to wash water out of trailer to empty.

We rarely use paper either but often have to manage gray water capacity. Wiping plates down thoroughly with a used paper napkin will really cut down on water needed to wash.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
One more vote for paper plates here. When we travel, we spend most of our time boondocking, and I've found that the microwave oven makes the perfect storage compartment for paper plates, paper bowls, plastic knives, forks, and spoons. I can't use the microwave without shore power anyway, and everything fits in there like the thing was made to hold it all.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
OK; we have tried a "few" options including the round tubs, but this collapsible combination (below) works well for washing/drying with a microfiber mat others mentioned also. We have 2 of the dishpans. We place the dish rack in one of the dish pan and use a second dishpan in the sink. We wash in the sink, and place in the rack, which is on stove cover. Then we rinse off and place on microfiber, again, on the stove cover. Sometimes we dry right away and store; other times we just leave to drip dry. Works for us.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pro...E4W1XX2QZJ6HHW

(We also have the napkin and paper plate holders, but mounted over the dining table under the cabinets.)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Soapy-water in sink...wash dishes as they are placed in sink...drain soapy-water...run water over dishes to rinse...dry and put-away. (And use paper plates majority of the time.)
Yep, this is exactly what we do. It works perfectly, and no unnecessary complications from pails or pans. Easy and quick, and conserves water.

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
I had the same issues so have tried several things. I have tried a microfiber drying pad, but it stays too wet in wetter climates. I have also used a collapsible dish pan which I put in the sink and wash with a small amount of water and rinse under the sink (filling the dishpan more full as I go). Instead of a drying mat, I use a dish drain (bottom only and not a rack) to set the wet dishes and let the extra water drain back in the sink, then we use a dish towel to hand dry. This takes up less room than a drainer. I have recently purchased the OXO soap dispensing dish brush. I soap the dishes in a dry sink with the brush & then rinse under water (again letting the sink fill as I go), and then drain in the drainer bottom to be hand dried. I use mostly regular dishes (I wish campsites were better at recycling) and we only use paper when we are on the road traveling (or with the grandkids).
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote