Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Rox View Post
We just bought a Flying Cloud 28A with a single bowl sink. Our previous trailer had a double bowl sink. How is everyone handling the single bowl? I am assuming you wash dishes in the sink, have a separate basin sitting on the counter for rinsing, and a drip rack to put the wet dishes in. Any better ideas or suggestions?
Eat at a restaurant ;-)

Old 09-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We have one of these paint buckets (about 12" x 5") that fits in the sink. This is the dishpan and very handy. When we have full hookups it's not needed but when we don't it's a water saver.

Name:   blue bucket.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  9.2 KB

Here's a link although this seems to be a box of 12. I got ours locally for about $1.00 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-5-q...5-12/204078587

Put a few inches of hot soapy water in the bottom and wash dishes, stacking them around bucket (but in sink). Rinse dishes into same bucket with tap water and either again, place around bucket (but in sink) to drip dry or place on a dish mat on counter.

If Gray tank capacity is really a concern, take full bucket to wash water out of trailer to empty.

We rarely use paper either but often have to manage gray water capacity. Wiping plates down thoroughly with a used paper napkin will really cut down on water needed to wash.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
One more vote for paper plates here. When we travel, we spend most of our time boondocking, and I've found that the microwave oven makes the perfect storage compartment for paper plates, paper bowls, plastic knives, forks, and spoons. I can't use the microwave without shore power anyway, and everything fits in there like the thing was made to hold it all.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
OK; we have tried a "few" options including the round tubs, but this collapsible combination (below) works well for washing/drying with a microfiber mat others mentioned also. We have 2 of the dishpans. We place the dish rack in one of the dish pan and use a second dishpan in the sink. We wash in the sink, and place in the rack, which is on stove cover. Then we rinse off and place on microfiber, again, on the stove cover. Sometimes we dry right away and store; other times we just leave to drip dry. Works for us.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pro...E4W1XX2QZJ6HHW

(We also have the napkin and paper plate holders, but mounted over the dining table under the cabinets.)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #19
RFP
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Soapy-water in sink...wash dishes as they are placed in sink...drain soapy-water...run water over dishes to rinse...dry and put-away. (And use paper plates majority of the time.)
Yep, this is exactly what we do. It works perfectly, and no unnecessary complications from pails or pans. Easy and quick, and conserves water.

Rob
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
I had the same issues so have tried several things. I have tried a microfiber drying pad, but it stays too wet in wetter climates. I have also used a collapsible dish pan which I put in the sink and wash with a small amount of water and rinse under the sink (filling the dishpan more full as I go). Instead of a drying mat, I use a dish drain (bottom only and not a rack) to set the wet dishes and let the extra water drain back in the sink, then we use a dish towel to hand dry. This takes up less room than a drainer. I have recently purchased the OXO soap dispensing dish brush. I soap the dishes in a dry sink with the brush & then rinse under water (again letting the sink fill as I go), and then drain in the drainer bottom to be hand dried. I use mostly regular dishes (I wish campsites were better at recycling) and we only use paper when we are on the road traveling (or with the grandkids).
Old 09-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
I use Dawn foam. I put a squirt on a scrubber and wet and soap up each dish. Then I rinse individually and pour the water over the soapy dishes to give them a prerinse. I put my dishes on a towel placed over my round sink cover to protect my marmoleum counters. We camp in a 19' Bambi and space is at a premium. A dish rack is not worth the space it takes up. I also use the biggest pot method mentioned above. I only resort to paper if we are dry camping or eating on the fly.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
RFP
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
For quick clean ups of just a few dishes, I use a spray bottle with a pre-mixed mixture of Dawn and water (I keep it under the sink). If I think I need "hot wash water," I can just put the spray bottle in the microwave for a few seconds.
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
We use and love the Joseph Joseph Wash and Drain Dish Pan. It fits into the sink and we've never experienced a drip from the drain plug.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...FUlehgodbFYJyg

Paper plates create more waste then is necessary. We must all do what we can to reduce waste.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I heard the black plastic oil pans from Walmart fit the sink perfectly and work as a wash basin.
LilNomad
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We have a collapsable (rubber) dish washing pan for our soapy hot water - (goes on counter left of our sink) - put the washed items into the sink - spray rinse in sink - we have a folding table with a drying rack on the right of the counter (cover with towel to absorb excess water)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
dishpan and drain rack. run water into teakettle until running hot and place on stove to boil, run the now hot water into sink, wash in sink with soap, place in dish pan, wait for the kettle to boil and rinse the dishes with the boiling water, place in drain rack or towel dry.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the suggestions. We will try a few and see what works best for us.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
I heard the black plastic oil pans from Walmart fit the sink perfectly and work as a wash basin.
LilNomad
If a wash basin is what's desired (for gray water minimization or whatever), I recommend those nylon collapsible sink inserts that tend to fit perfectly in the fold-down sinks that Airstream installs. This one is a 10-liter Advanced Elements pocket sink. That thing hanging down in front is its storage sack. There are more expensive versions on the market; this one is low-end, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nylon_sink.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	272494