Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Since dumping meat (for various reasons), I've lost 30 pounds in weight and feel so much better; no more indigestion or acid reflux for me. I've also dropped dairy products and whilst I might have enjoyed a bit of cheese in the past or added cream to my coffee, now I really don't miss any of that stuff.

I do occasionally have a bit of fish, which is my treat to myself and why I don't use the label "Vegetarian" or 'Vegan", but I've been mostly plant-based for 18 months and really enjoying the change.

X2 - about three years in...hard to describe all the positive impact
Old 04-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have been generally aware as I get older that I have been eating a lot less meat - in fact several times I had said to my wife that I could quite easily become a vegetarian. Never met a vegetable I didn't like!

However at my last medical checkup last fall, I was diagnosed with mild anemia due to iron deficiency and put on prescription iron supplements. Internal exams from the ends didn't reveal any serious issue and so diet was the most likely suspect!

As well as the iron supplements which are hopefully a short term remedy, I have since made a conscientious effort to re-introduce a little more meat into my diet - I had forgotten how great a well cooked steak now and then can taste!

Blood iron is back to normal now, and I feel pretty good - moderation in all things as they say!

Since I tend to eat smaller meals than I used to, when I do have steak, either at home or in a restaurant, I now order the better cuts - quality over quantity - and that works out fine!

As for eating when on the road with the AS, if it were just up to me, I would never eat in a restaurant, but my good lady wife had different views, so we eat out at least a couple of times a week so she is happy!

Often, if we are out touring someplace during the day, we will have our main meal for lunch at a restaurant, (saves me a little money, being a cheap SOB, as lunch prices are lower!) then just a snack in the trailer in the evening.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I'll be the odd one out and say I am not vegan (but I was for a long time!) when traveling if I eat out much I just don't feel good. Weird food (like fast "food", diner food, etc.) does funny things to me. I much prefer to make food at "home", I know exactly what is in it, it costs so much less and tastes so much better. <3 m
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Since I started this thread it has been very interesting to see what different people consider to be "healthy eating".
Really some different ideas out there. They are all good.
I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy but I also love green vegetables. Some of the vegetables mentioned by people I have never heard of. We do live in a rural area without big elaborate grocery stores. We raise our own freezer beef and it is the best.
Glad everyone chimed in, it has been very enlightening.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote