Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
You did say Boondocking, right?

This box oven has been in use for family camping since August 1994, that's right I put the date on it when I made it. If you can keep it dry, well we are 16 years and still cooking.

It can be made from any stout cardboard box, I like aluminum rods for the rack system, a pie plate to hold the charcoal, 3 small rocks to elevate the pie plate. The box has a 2"X3" hole in the bottom and a series of holes across the top to let air flow out. You need airflow or the coals will go out.

I make liner walls to fit and wrap them with the heaviest AL foil you can find, duct tape the foil to the back. The 3 side panels hold up the top, the front flap folds down and with a little practice this Box Oven will go to 375 degrees w/o any problems.

I usually start some charcoal while I'm waiting for the coffee to perk, the coals go in white, not flaming, you can add coals if they are white and keep the oven going.

We have cooked cookies, cinamon rolls, pizza, full size cakes, coffee cakes and, well it's just limited to your creatitivity and cooking needs. You should see the stares this gets in the AM from early AM walkers as they smell the goods, but did not see a trailer to go with the smells. We are tent campers that just bought a AS. Cast Iron, dutch ovens, perked coffee and hardwood fires, that's my style.

I first saw this on a BSA leaders training camp and I think it must have caught my eye, I have made them and given them away as gifts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Box Oven.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	96183  
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to try this.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That box/oven is awesome!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
This was from a quick weekend getaway in Calhoun Falls SP in SC. I didn't have time for our bigger setup this was a bit time crunched. My big coffee boiler holds 11 qts. thats right quarts. Cast iron a plenty, biggest is a 20" Lodge 2 handed skillet.

A thermometer in the box really helps master the temp and impress the non-believers.

Dutch apple pie is darn fine in one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic Camp.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	96185  
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Looks a lot like the Cobb Grill that uses BBQ Briquets instead of sitting on a stove top...The Cobb is used outside so you don't have to fill the trailer with cooking fumes, vapors, etc...

The Portable Grill Store - The ultimate portable Grill site and Barbecue for The Cobb Premier, Volcano and Outdoorchef City Grill camping, tailgating, RVs and boating grills.

We really like our Cobb - only uses a few briquets, and is fine for smaller meals for two or so - you can cook a whole chicken or tri tip roast...yummy!

Ray
I think there is a thread for the cobb grill.

If I did'nt post on my eperience with my Cobb -I agree that the cobb grill is terrific for its intended purpose, I love mine.

Charcoal flavored desserts are not my favorite though.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Yes, I Did Say Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC View Post
This box oven has been in use for family camping since August 1994, that's right I put the date on it when I made it. If you can keep it dry, well we are 16 years and still cooking.

It can be made from any stout cardboard box, I like aluminum rods for the rack system, a pie plate to hold the charcoal, 3 small rocks to elevate the pie plate. The box has a 2"X3" hole in the bottom and a series of holes across the top to let air flow out. You need airflow or the coals will go out.

I make liner walls to fit and wrap them with the heaviest AL foil you can find, duct tape the foil to the back. The 3 side panels hold up the top, the front flap folds down and with a little practice this Box Oven will go to 375 degrees w/o any problems.

I usually start some charcoal while I'm waiting for the coffee to perk, the coals go in white, not flaming, you can add coals if they are white and keep the oven going.

We have cooked cookies, cinamon rolls, pizza, full size cakes, coffee cakes and, well it's just limited to your creatitivity and cooking needs. You should see the stares this gets in the AM from early AM walkers as they smell the goods, but did not see a trailer to go with the smells. We are tent campers that just bought a AS. Cast Iron, dutch ovens, perked coffee and hardwood fires, that's my style.

I first saw this on a BSA leaders training camp and I think it must have caught my eye, I have made them and given them away as gifts.

Boondocking seems to be alot like FTing- Different meanings to different people.

I am sure others would appreciate a thread for homemade ovens, but I chose to start a thread on the ovenette for the following reasons:

-I am using something manufactured about 50 yrs ago instead of it going into a landfill .

-It can be used on my conventional stovetop. Also works well on my propane cook stove (i.e.-when burn bans are in effect) so I can bake outdoors. Prevents the heat build up in my unit during warmer weather .

-It can be used over a wood or charcoal open fire without imparting a smoked flavor to what I am cooking. As much as I love charcoal and wood flavor to meats etc. there are many baked items where these flavors are not a welcome addition to the dish.

-I don't have to guess at the temp. I just glance at the thermometer on top.

-Last but not least, it is not as heavy as a Dutch oven although many streamers enjoy this method it is not something I choose to do. I think there is a thread for Dutch oven cooking for those interested.

The Ovenette is another great addition for my unit that meets the criteria for my multi-functional, lightweight, compact approach to equipping my unit .

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
@ GC in SC >The table your box oven is sitting on is kind of interesting ... any more pics? @fr8tshaker Ovenette pics in action?
Thanks!
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am going to be a real donkey here...
Don't you people realize that there is an oven in every Airstream? Is there something wrong with using your oven? The reason there is a fan above the stove is to get the heat and cooking fumes out of the trailer. Since when was cooking fumes bad? Please do not invite me over if your cooking smells bad. Half of the sense of taste relies on smell so it might be a sign...
What happened to using the trailer as it was designed?

This thread has driven the demand of Ovenettes up for sure. Ebay should be very happy about that. Now if I can just find one of these things at a yard sale I will be able to cash in on the Ovenette craze of 2010. Where would I store it? I could put it in my oven...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I am with Frank on this one. The first one up in the morning turns on the oven and before the kids are asking for food the cinnamon rolls are ready and the trailer smells OH SO GOOD...

I do like to play with campfire cooking and dutch oven recipies but in the morning one just cant beat the Magic Chef!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, in a pinch or by choice, a heavy skillet with a lid will bake biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, refrigerator french bread, etc. Medium heat, turn a couple of times and----tadaaaa! Fresh baked goods without even a Dutch Oven.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #31
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Cooking is a hobby I inherited from both grandmothers. I have retired and am pursuing this hobby in various forms. Dutch ovens, campfires, cast iron skillets, etc. Why an ovenette? Because I find it an interesting cooking method. I can cook outside on the Coleman and visit with people who drop by to see what I am making and how I am making it. It just seems to be my experience that when I am outside enjoying my first coffee of the day with the cinnamon rolls in the ovenette, people follow their noses. I can cook inside my AS, but I love being outdoors and visiting.

Kathy
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
H2K, couldn't agree with you more. There is nothing like a Stack of Dutch Ovens to peak
someone interest as they walk be. I can truly say their more than a pot their a conversation magnet. What better way to start the day than a good cup of coffee and meeting new friends.
Ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I just found this thread the other day while waiting to see if my trailer oven could be repaired (which it can't as I now know) Looked on Ebay and found an Ovenette complete set, never used. Luckily I bid and won so will soon be baking again in my trailer. I noticed some people said certain ingredients cause a problem with the metal in the pans. What happens? Will using a foil liner in the pan prevent it? Don't want to ruin my nice new set....

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well since my oven is kaput, I practiced using the Ovenette with great success, baking and roasting. Easy to use and cleanup is quick, plus no heating up the trailer. However yesterday I just made a trade, a vintage clock for a brand new Magic Chef Range/Oven to be ordered for me so the Ovenette is going back on Ebay for auction. Moving in my trailer full time is making me realize just how valuable every inch of space can be....
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote