Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray
I wonder if AS would install one of these as an option?...

TopBrewer - Scanomat
Maybe if I won the lottery. It sure is slick and bodes well with my constant push for efficiency, but that thing probably costs more than a compact sedan.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Farberware

We use a Farberware stove top percolator for our main coffee source...since we got this we have not used the small drip coffee maker we have..and it works whether we have electricity or not!
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #143

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Glide , Oregon
We have always used a Melitta Drip coffee maker. Heat the water in a tea kettle on your gas stove (don't always have electricity), make as many cups of coffee as you want, and put in a thermos to keep warm as you sit by your campfire. I am very fussy about my coffee. Only Starbucks, preferrably Sumatra, and the Melitta makes it perfectly. I find the Mr. Coffee's don't heat the water hot enough to bring out the full flavor of the beans. Good luck and enjoy!
jacks-stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Nespresso..... It is like Starbucks right there in the trailer in the kitchen..... It is great!
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Third post on this thread...as you can read above, we went from a 'drip' maker to the Aeropress almost three years ago...

Aeropress story | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys

Some great 'Coffee 101' info on the Aeropress site...

We still use the Aeropress EVERY DAY since we got it - in fact we bought a 2nd back-up press to keep in the AS...

Making true, dark, rich, almost 'creamy' black coffee from fresh ground beans could not be easier or quicker than the Aeropress - the ONLY water you need goes into your cup - we use a small tea kettle to heat water on the stove...

It's self cleaning as you eject the wet grounds from the press, and only the stir paddle needs a small rinse - or - you could actually wipe it with a paper towel and not use ANY WATER for clean up at all!

If you run into someone that uses the Aeropress and can talk them out of a fresh brewed cup, you'll love that little 'gadget' like we do...I know it looks 'funky', but it's one great coffee making 'machine'
I have an Aeropress as a backup at home, use my espresso machine every day, currently a Breville, because I NEED my caffeine & my wife is strictly decaf. The Breville machine is really great too, with built-in grinder for my fresh Peet's beans.

On the road I usually use a presspot for the same advantages: heat water on the stove & pour it over some nice grounds.

If there are any readers that will be at NorCal Casini, I will be glad to pour an Aeropress but the press pot has more caffeine: water contact over time is the major impact on caffeine. The Chemex is also great, designed by a Brazilian guy who did research on reduced acids, maximum flavor, etc, and my mom used one of these in the 50's, 60's etc.

BTW: Yum! fresh coffee, maybe some nice warm bread product on the side, and on the weekend, a small touch of brandy for balance.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #146
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
I really like good coffee, as well as brewed tea. We heat water on the stove--the one that came standard in our AS--and use a non-electric drip coffee maker. Ours is a Chemex that makes 6 to 8 cups; there are many others. No need to wake neighbors even when dry camping. Bodum makes a really cool stovetop espresso maker, but it's capacity is one cup. However, one cup of real espresso wires me up just fine ...
Bodum makes two sizes of stainless steel stovetop espresso makers; we have the larger one and then cut the espresso with an equal amount of boiling-hot water. This makes 2.5 cups (8oz each) in a carafe of what Starbucks sells as "Cafe Americano." This is the best coffee we have ever made at home or on the road. No filter or electricity needed, just coffee at its best!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #147
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Boy....Koffiee is 'kinda like hiche's and tyres aren't it.

'spresso ain't koffie, drip ain't perked, and pressed ain't nutt'n.

Inst rox...

Bob
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #148
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Good Instant Coffee Options

This is probably heresy to all those french press, percolator, Italian coffee maker, and other aficionados, but newer instant coffee options are a far cry from the old Folgers and Tasters Choice days.

The new Starbucks Via line is quite good, in a variety of flavors. But my recent favorite is the Trader Joe's Instant Coffee Packets "All Dressed Up with Creamer & Sugar." Picture below.

When traveling for business or when I used to car camp, I'd always have a ten pack along with creamer/sugar/stick/napkin packs that I'd grab from the hotel in-room coffee stand before checking out. On a side note, hotel rooms are a good source of free trailer/RV supplies - an old road-warrior trick is to empty out not just travel-size toiletries (remember to hide the previous day's shampoo and conditioner so they give you fresh ones!) but also the coffee kits, any tea bags, plus any of the nice "to go" coffee cups that often include a cooling sleeve and lid, very useful for boon docking!

Cheers

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	150352  
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #149
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
What is the first photo....it looks like a bialetti (which we have a moka express for when we're dry camping), but I've never seen that particular model before???
It's a Mukka Expresso model, I don't know much about other than it looked neat when we saw it in Williams Sonoma and it works well. It's peculiar in operation but the end product is great.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #150
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
It's a Mukka Expresso model, I don't know much about other than it looked neat when we saw it in Williams Sonoma and it works well. It's peculiar in operation but the end product is great.
Thanks...I've just ordered one, and we'll see....I see that there's a lot of issues with them on the reviews (impossible to use, hard to clean, etc) but we'll give it a shot. We carry a Saeco around in the trailer that we've used every morning for 5 years, and it's still kicking -- but it takes up a lot of space in the trailer and doesn't work (obviously) if we're not connected.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #151
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius

Thanks...I've just ordered one, and we'll see....I see that there's a lot of issues with them on the reviews (impossible to use, hard to clean, etc) but we'll give it a shot. We carry a Saeco around in the trailer that we've used every morning for 5 years, and it's still kicking -- but it takes up a lot of space in the trailer and doesn't work (obviously) if we're not connected.
These are very easy to use and make excellent espresso. You can find instructions on YouTube. Two important things to know: only clean with water (no soap) and keep the gasket clean and in good condition. You'll have to replace the rubber gasket every couple of years with frequent use. Everyone has their own preference in coffee, but many coffee/espresso conessuers view a Moka Pot as the best of the best espresso. Consider ordering some Illy Moka from Illysusa.com .... it will make your lips do flips!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Inst rox...

Bob
Ive been thinking the same thing. Theres a thread talking about opinions on here somewhere, and all I can say is opinions are like a******s, everybodys got one. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #153
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
We just got back from camping and used our new coffee maker for the first time. By far the best camping coffee I've ever had. It's called "the clever coffee dripper" It makes two cups at a time and comes out clean with no chunks. The best part is, it's only 15 bucks. I got it(as well as all my coffee) from latitude23coffee.com. Boil water, add 25-30 grams of coffee to the filter, let sit for 4 minutes, set on cup to drain.
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Im just a peasant

I am happy with Mr. Coffee and Maxwell House Original Blend and my home grown well water. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Excellent thread. We now know 100 coffee makers to make the best, smoothest, most delicious coffee ever.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #156
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
These are very easy to use and make excellent espresso. You can find instructions on YouTube. Two important things to know: only clean with water (no soap) and keep the gasket clean and in good condition. You'll have to replace the rubber gasket every couple of years with frequent use. Everyone has their own preference in coffee, but many coffee/espresso conessuers view a Moka Pot as the best of the best espresso. Consider ordering some Illy Moka from Illysusa.com .... it will make your lips do flips!
Thanks...we have a moka pot, but since we primarily drink cappuccinos and mochas, I hate having to deal with steaming the milk in this setup (hence the interest). We hand grind our espresso beans anyway (we picked up a Hario hand grinder a few year back, and love it: Hario Mini Grinder).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
If there are any readers that will be at NorCal Casini, I will be glad to pour an Aeropress but the press pot has more caffeine: water contact over time is the major impact on caffeine.
I may take you up on that, since we'll be your next door neighbors at Casini. All coffee aside, I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

We'll continue to rely on our Nissan stainless steel French press for our daily fix, though.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSVirginia View Post
This is probably heresy to all those french press, percolator, Italian coffee maker, and other aficionados, but newer instant coffee options are a far cry from the old Folgers and Tasters Choice days.

The new Starbucks Via line is quite good, in a variety of flavors. But my recent favorite is the Trader Joe's Instant Coffee Packets "All Dressed Up with Creamer & Sugar." Picture below.

When traveling for business or when I used to car camp, I'd always have a ten pack along with creamer/sugar/stick/napkin packs that I'd grab from the hotel in-room coffee stand before checking out. On a side note, hotel rooms are a good source of free trailer/RV supplies - an old road-warrior trick is to empty out not just travel-size toiletries (remember to hide the previous day's shampoo and conditioner so they give you fresh ones!) but also the coffee kits, any tea bags, plus any of the nice "to go" coffee cups that often include a cooling sleeve and lid, very useful for boon docking!

Cheers

Jim
That IS heresy. Instant coffee is NOT real coffee. I bought some of the Via packets because of all the hype. The best I can say about them is that they don't taste as bad as most other instants. But I'm sorry, to a real, long time, coffee drinker...they ain't it!

Some of the pod makers are good. I use a Tassimo myself, and much of it rivals Starbucks better coffees. But they are made more like ground coffee, not instant.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Inst rox...

Bob
The sixties? I had to move on, couldn't take that boiled bitter perked stuff. Thanks for being so courteous.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
That IS heresy. Instant coffee is NOT real coffee. I bought some of the Via packets because of all the hype. The best I can say about them is that they don't taste as bad as most other instants. But I'm sorry, to a real, long time, coffee drinker...they ain't it!

Some of the pod makers are good. I use a Tassimo myself, and much of it rivals Starbucks better coffees. But they are made more like ground coffee, not instant.
Rich,

I'm with you completely! We carry the Via but it's for overnighting at Walmart's ONLY and you're right: they are not as bad as other instants but definitely not good coffee, in spite of the hype and Starbuck name.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote