Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
tried and true- the coleman solution
Coleman - Stainless Steel 12-Cup Coffee Percolator -

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
The most efficient way to make coffee is to boil water on the stovetop that has been so equipped in your Airstream. Percolators and French presses make wonderful coffee, better than automatic drip. Or simply pour the near boiling water into a cone filter right into your cup. Think outside the [automatic drip] box. I agree with what others have said about not using a generator in the great outdoors.
I fulltime and live alone so I got one of those gold filters. I plop it into a coffee cup add grounds and pour water through. It's fast and good. I also have a large lexan French Press and a hand grinder. I learned a trick from another member here - buy green coffee and roast it in an old fashioned campfire popcorn popper (a cast iron skillet works well too but will wear out your arm!). It takes time so I only do that on sunny weekends, but boy it will draw a crowd in a campground.

Paula
Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I fulltime and live alone so I got one of those gold filters. I plop it into a coffee cup add grounds and pour water through.
I gotta give it to y'all again. Everyone kept chatting even after I had made my decision as to my solution. Based on Foiled Again's solution, I did some looking on the internet. I am now hooked on the manual drip method. I think if I didn't have $100 tied up in my BUNN at home (it's been around for 6 years now...maybe it will die soon), I'd start making coffee this way at home. I really like things that require a bit of technique and know-how. For example, I use hand planes and chisels for woodworking. I split wood with a maul, not a powered log splitter. I heat with wood and I love having a fire in the fireplace (or in the firepit when camping). So I am in love with the manual drip method and the gold filter thing is awesome. I'm going to put it all past Andrea when she's home and she's going to think I'm a wacko for being so excited about it, but I now think the best solution is a manual drip cone w/ reusable filter & a thermal carafe. And the best part is that the only waste is compostable. Everyone's going to know where I've been parked after a rally due to the pile of grounds behind the AS! I can't wait to get the parts. I'll start using it in the house even before camping.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I gotta give it to y'all again. Everyone kept chatting even after I had made my decision as to my solution.
Get used to that. A topic can generate discussion and ideas long after the original poster got the information he asked for.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #45
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
By my basic recollection, a 900W appliance (running on USA AC current which is 120V) would draw 7.5 amps (900W/120V = 7.5A). Amps are Amps are Amps, right? So if I draw that 7.5 amps for 0.2 hours, then I've drawn 1.5Ah, right? Seems like my battery ought to be able to handle this without breaking a sweat and do it for a few days straight, right?
Not the way I understand it...
Watts are Watts
900W/12V = 75A
If run for 0.2 hours (12 minutes) = 15Amps
You also need to factor in the Amps that are needed to convert DC to AC.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
While not a coffee drinker, my parents are, and they are VERY health-conscious after my mother's breast cancer 6 1/2 years ago. They have done a lot of research on just about everything they put in their bodies, and coffee did not get skipped.

If you drink coffee, please use a filter. The French press method leaves oils and alcohols in the coffee that can harm your liver and up your LDL (bad) cholesterol (the study found the increase was 9-14 percent!). A Dutch study shows proof of this (link to blog with study info in it).

One thing I loved when living with or visiting my parents was waking up to the smell of fresh-brewed coffee! I love the smell, but can't stand the taste.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I vote with Gen Disaray
Good old perulator works on top of the stove we already have and If we have electricity we have a 4 cupper electric from WalGreens $9 bucks.
What ever gets the job done the cheapest. I'm cheap and I admit it .
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Turns out that as I was sitting at home posting Sat. AM, Andrea picked up a BrewStation at the local thrift shop. It was $6 and it does not have a glass carafe like normal coffee makers. Instead, it brews into a bucket and then you go up and push your cup against a lever (kinda like a soft drink fountain at a restaurant) and your coffee comes out. We cleaned it up and used it in the house and it works quite nice. We figure it will be kinda neat to have it sitting on the picnic table outside the AS in the morning where people can just stop by and fill up and chat for a couple minutes .
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

No V or Amps involved but we like this.Charlie Bean Coffee: Chemex Coffee Makers Easy to use, makes great coffee, stores in the original box. Plus the classic design looks good in the Stream.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Jason and Andrea,
Just sent you a private message.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We have a four cup drip coffee maker (doesn't make enought coffee), but we hardly ever use it since we started using a stovetop percolator. We have found that the coffee is excellent and it is ready in about ten minutes -- and plenty for the thermos or travel mugs for the road.

Check out this site -- Percolators

At home we use a grind and brew drip maker.

Tom
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I join the fun and recommend the Aero press. Best coffee I have had this side of the pond.

Aerobie® AeroPress(TM) Coffee & Espresso Maker
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
At home we use a cuisinart drip.... but in the AS we are the "percolator people".... we've got a stovetop perc for when we're off power but a plug-in old timey shiny percolator for when we've got it. I do like a french press but they don't keep the extra cups warm and we need a couple of cups each. We love our coffee, very addicted I'm afraid!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #54
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic

No 'tricity needed, Plus it just fits the Stream....same pot 25+yrs, the best!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cm-10a1_.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	76611  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Simple Is Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

No 'tricity needed, Plus it just fits the Stream....same pot 25+yrs, the best!!!

Sweet.
Does it use paper filters?
How about pouring the coffee, how does it work?
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
Sweet.
Does it use paper filters?
How about pouring the coffee, how does it work?
yep, paper filters.
Here is a link. Chemex You can see the groove for pouring.

Been using this for over 25yrs in both our Streams. Big one for the house smaller for the Stream. Stores in it's box above the pantry, stays hot on the stove when dock'n,(off to the side on low), and makes a terrific brew. KISS
Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Blairsville , Georgia
We bought a beautiful old '50's Sunbeam electric percolator on Ebay. We're using it in the house now and will use it in the Airstream when we move in. Makes coffee to whatever strength you select and keeps it warm for hours without burning it. We'll use a simple filter/funnel over a cup if the power is out. We use that when camping.
Chip Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #58
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopattie View Post
I do like a french press but they don't keep the extra cups warm and we need a couple of cups each. We love our coffee, very addicted I'm afraid!
Oh... but they do! We have one of these Frieling presses. It's unbreakable and double walled for insulation. The eight cup model makes 4 nice size mugs of wonderful coffee; no filters needed and nothing to break.
Attached Images

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber View Post
I don't know what I would do without a Bialetti coffee maker. They come in sizes big and small. As long as you have flame, you can make coffee.

Amazon.com: Bialetti Moka Express 3-Cup Stovetop Percolator: Home & Garden
Yes, this one looks like one of the modern, stainless steel replacements for the old style cast aluminum varieties that were commonly sold in Europe decades ago. We've got both varieties, one in the house and the other in the rig. (Hardware stores in Europe sell new gaskets, by the way; if you need some, Maria's going over in April.)

We've also got at old Melitta from decades ago. It's an unbreakable one that Melitta produced specifically for campers that includes both filter holder, pot and lid. Takes the same paper filter as the standard variety.

They both make life in the Airstream easy! Just turn on the gas stove! (But I think we need to get ourselves a manual grinder.)

Lynn
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Oh... but they do! We have one of these Frieling presses. It's unbreakable and double walled for insulation. The eight cup model makes 4 nice size mugs of wonderful coffee; no filters needed and nothing to break.
Ooh, I didn't even know that existed. Perfect for us--thank you!