Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #381
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Continued hijack: Yeah, man, those coffeehouses were groovy
Un-hijack: On vacation now in a Kauai timeshare: could not get the moho over here reasonably, but I brought My Aeropress and some fresh Peet's coffee. The second morning I poured in the water, stirred the grounds and then got busy with other things. A few minutes later I found that most of the water had dripped down so I did not have to press out the brew.

Because of the extended water-to-grounds time the brew had more caffeine, knocked me back briefly the first time, great buzz, kind of like those multiple double espressos in the coffee houses years ago.

Now that is SOP: pour in the water, then slice the bread for the toaster and other prep items while gravity does the work.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 AM   #382
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My problem with the aero press is that it drips too fast- unless I use two filters.

Wait a minute- you brought coffee to Hawaii??? Can you say "Kona"?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #383
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Listen to your friends Wayne and Sam.
If you adore coffee, then I recommend to do the bulk of your souvenir shopping at the ABC store or Safeway. OH that Kona Coffee and a Macadamia Nut Sticky Bun. Pure Heaven.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
My problem with the aero press is that it drips too fast- unless I use two filters. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Just use a finer grind. Preferred contact time with the water is something like 20 seconds. If you grind to Ethopian fineness the paper filters will plug and extract will not be possible. I grind to about an expresso fineness, and can keep contact with with the water to a little over 20 seconds. Much longer than that and you begin to extract some of the bitter oils.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #385
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I also enjoy Kona Coffee, but it is now getting to be very expensive, upwards of 30 dollars a pound or more. Most of what you see in the ABC stores and here back in the States is a blend of which only about 10% is Kona Coffee.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #386
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Simple bliss...

After decades of grinding my own premium beans every morning, I finally grew tired of the process... and discovered that the K-cup brewers can make a fantastic tasting cup of coffee... quite surprising to me.

I drink coffee and tea. My wife drinks tea, cocoa, and other brewed beverages.

We discovered the Bunn MyCafe, single cup brewer. It's simple. Fast. Extremely convenient. Versatile. 4 drawers you can use depending on how and what you want to brew: K-cup, Coffee pouch, raw grind, and hot-water. It has a pulse mode which injects a little water at a time into the K-cup, let's it brew for a few seconds, then a little more, then some brew, then a little more. It extends the K-cup brewing time from a once-through all at once, to pulses. Great for tea. I don't find the pulse mode needed for great coffee. The coffee from it is great and the tea, not bad.

https://homecatalog.bunn.com/product...ime-42900-0301

PREMIUM TEA BREWER
I still prefer the Breville Tea brewer for making premium Yunnan Gold Black teas, though. Nothing beats that for exceptional tea. It's expensive, but if you're buying premium raw teas, the result is so well worth it.

One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL | Breville
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #387
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
DHart - that's interesting, I hadn't heard of that machine.

Do you have a favorite k-cup?

I find the San Francisco Bay (I think that's the brand) k-cups are the best. Instead of the plastic cup usually associated with the pods, the bottom of their "cup" is almost like a fabric coffee filter. I love the convenience of the Keurig but found all the plastic k-cups have one "flavor note" that is consistent across all brands and I'm guessing it's the plastic.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #388
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
DHart - that's interesting, I hadn't heard of that machine.

Do you have a favorite k-cup?

I find the San Francisco Bay (I think that's the brand) k-cups are the best. Instead of the plastic cup usually associated with the pods, the bottom of their "cup" is almost like a fabric coffee filter. I love the convenience of the Keurig but found all the plastic k-cups have one "flavor note" that is consistent across all brands and I'm guessing it's the plastic.
SSM...

As you probably know, Bunn "knows from coffee". And their little MyCafe is compact, versatile, and brews great coffee from a variety of packaged and raw methods. I think it's a great, compact, convenient way to make coffee/tea/cocoa/other brews in the close quarters of an RV. And every cup is fresh-brewed... no carafe sitting around losing flavor every minute it sits on the burner.

I have found several that I really like. And I'm quite surprised at how good the coffee from these easy K-cups can be. Not quite as good as grinding your own, but very good - good enough, anyway, and so incredibly convenient, quick, and easy that I don't bother with grinding anymore - especially when on-the-road.

K-Cups I'm currently rotating, depending on the mood of the day:

Peets Cafe Domingo
Starbucks Rwanda Rift Valley
Green Mountain Nantucket Blend
Green Mountain Three Continent Blend
Starbucks Veranda Blend

If you like Dark Roasts, Peets has some that is about as good as it gets.

I will definitely give the San Francisco Bay brand a try!
Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #389
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have to say that one qualifier for "Good coffeemaker" should be ease of setup. I am a coffee freak and have three makers in my AS. I usually go with the Via Venezia but it gets old dragging it out and setting it up. I still find that aeropress pretty cool.

Quote:
My problem with the aero press is that it drips too fast- unless I use two filters. ...
mine does not drip at all. The extraction begins when I start pressing and counting. We should have an aero press brewing convention!

Quote:
Most of what you see in the ABC stores and here back in the States is a blend of which only about 10% is Kona Coffee.
I do not know about ABC stores but you are correct on the percentage; however, you can find bags that list the percentage. When we went to Hawaii they had it actually separated by percentage in one store. I got 100%. I found it really gave me a buzz and often a headache. Powerful stuff.

On coffee taste: We had a "coffee" at my house a few years ago. There were several coffees represented- Asian, African, South American, etc. I learned that my favorites were South American. It was carmel-like with deep coffee flavoring. The one Mexican blend someone had from Starbucks was good- low acid. Interestingly the Asian ones had an earthy almost dirt-like taste to me while the African/Middle Easterns were fruity or woody. We had about 4 blends per region. Most everyone liked the S.A. or African the best.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #390
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Good coffee maker for a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
Continued hijack: Yeah, man, those coffeehouses were groovy
Un-hijack: On vacation now in a Kauai timeshare: could not get the moho over here reasonably, but I brought My Aeropress and some fresh Peet's coffee. The second morning I poured in the water, stirred the grounds and then got busy with other things. A few minutes later I found that most of the water had dripped down so I did not have to press out the brew.

Because of the extended water-to-grounds time the brew had more caffeine, knocked me back briefly the first time, great buzz, kind of like those multiple double espressos in the coffee houses years ago.

Now that is SOP: pour in the water, then slice the bread for the toaster and other prep items while gravity does the work.

Hi Terra Yacht,

If you are still lucky enough to be in Kauai ( our favorite island ).... recommend stopping by Kauai Coffee Co. http://kauaicoffee.com/our-hawaiian-coffees/ just west of Poipu.
We always stop in after our first morning breakfast for a visit, tasting on their deck and purchase coffee for our Kauai stay.
Particularly enjoy their seasonal Peaberry coffees if you enjoy medium roast....highly recommend!

Mahalo,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #391
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
This is the Bunn Single-Cup brewing machine and the Breville Tea Brewer. We have the Bunn on a separate base that is on rollers, so you can roll the MyCafe toward you for use and roll it back toward the wall when not in use.

There are so many tasty things you can brew with the K-Cup design that we keep a selection of our favorites on hand with this rotating holder on the left.

The silver base with slots in it can be removed for brewing into a tall cup.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #392
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hi Terra Yacht,

If you are still lucky enough to be in Kauai ( our favorite island ).... recommend stopping by Kauai Coffee Co. Hawaiian Coffee | 100% Kauai Coffees | Blue Mountain Coffee | Peaberry Coffee just west of Poipu.
We always stop in after our first morning breakfast for a visit, tasting on their deck and purchase coffee for our Kauai stay.
Particularly enjoy their seasonal Peaberry coffees if you enjoy medium roast....highly recommend!

Mahalo,
FCloud9
Aloha;
We are in Poipu and went by Kauai Coffee on Friday, hope to get there later this week.

Keys to good coffee are freshness: how long since the beans were roasted, and how long since they were ground. One of the obsessive coffee shop owners (Blue Bottle coffee) was asked about the maximum desirable time between grinding and brewing, and he suggested "about 10 seconds." I didn't bring a grinder, but the pound of Peet's Ethiopian was roasted the week before I bought them.

I prefer the fresh taste and dark roast from my local Peet's stores but look forward to another local brew.

I saw a little shiny metal trailer that was set up to sell food, like most are these days, will try and get a photo of it this week.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
OK enough is enough. I do not need another coffee maker and now you all have me looking at tea makers. Where is this all going to stop? Please, pretty please, stop I feel like I am watching the shopping channel and feel obligated to buy.

By the way please ignore my pleas as I love reading these threads
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
At home I use a Technavorm Moccamasterwhich is essentially an electric Melitta drip method. In the trailer I use a German made ceramic Mellitta cone and pot. It makes fabulous coffee.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Let's see.....need to make certain A/C and coffee equipment in AS all working well preparing for International..... Yup, I guess that is all I need.

Oh, gosh, yeah, a few clothes and food, guess I do need to check these items....LOL

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hi Terra Yacht,

If you are still lucky enough to be in Kauai ( our favorite island ).... recommend stopping by Kauai Coffee Co. http://kauaicoffee.com/our-hawaiian-coffees/ just west of Poipu.

Mahalo,
FCloud9

Or.... Stop by Costco in Lihuie and pick up a pound of 100% Kona. A much better brew imho. For me the Kauai coffee just doesn't pack the right punch. Love everything about Kauai though! Go there every year for a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #397
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Costco is near the airport in Lihue so pickup your Kona coffee before heading out. When we lived in California we went every year but no so much now living in Texas (long flight). The traffic in Kauai has gotten worse every year due to one road around the island.

Costco at Kona on the Big Island does an incredible business. People come from a long distance so it is fun to watch how much they can stuff in their vehicle.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My daughter has been making this coffee, loves it, and I finally tried it.

It is delicious, and easy. Stores in the frig to mix with, for me, milk for a cold latte. Yum.

This makes strong coffee, perfect for iced or a latte.

Would be great for dry camping in hot weather, for lots of reasons.

SARA'S COLD BREW COFFEE

4 cups cold water
1 cup good ground coffee

Mix, cover, and let stand 18-24 hours. Strain, refrigerate.

Maggie
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #399
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm a part time coffee drinker and bought a Farberware Percolator Yosemite. I made coffee for my daughter with MJB grounds on my last trip and it came out pretty good. Just don't let it perk too much. When it starts to perk lower the heat and let it perk a few more minutes. Coffee went well with the large cinnamon rolls I baked in the oven.

http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cla...fee+percolator

We don't have room to store a bunch of appliances so this fits the bill for us.

Kelvin
Old 06-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Coffee

Anyone in Farmington who needs an espresso..... I am in site 3-14....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote