Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
French Press, all the way!!! You will be hooked. I was never a coffee fiend till I got hooked on pressed coffee. Just make sure you get a nice stainless steel one, the plastic and glass ones break.
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We use a Mr. Coffee where electicity is available. When it's not, an old fashioned stove top percolator works fine.
Our Mr. Coffee gets wrapped in a towel and sits in the sink during travel.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I guess herein lies the reason why I narrowly squeaked by my electrical classes in college. If we say that the appliance needs 900W regardless of supply, then I agree...W = V * A and therefore 900W from a 12V supply means that 75A are required and thus I'm going to draw 15Ah or about 25% of the battery's capacity to make a pot of coffee (neglecting the Pukey principle or whatever it was called).

However, there's a sticking point in my mind. Thus why I am beating this dead horse and even though ultimately I will be proven wrong, I at least want to fully understand why. If I need 900W based upon a 120V AC supply, then I need 7.5A. Amps are amps are amps, right? Regardless of AC, DC, etc...amps are amps, or am I wrong here? Why is it that when I switch to an inverted DC supply that those 7.5A are no longer enough? I thought that by equating things to amps that we could then compare on a level playing field.

The analogy of the V8 starter is a good one that I understand...never would I expect a starter or battery to resist the load of cranking a V8 over for 0.2 hours. So I get that the concept is real. I see the destination and I know where it's at, I just can't see the path in between.
You really answer your question in the second paragraph by what you wrote in the first. Volts x Amps = Watts, so just do the math. Amps are sort of like water flow in a hose and volts are the pressure that drives it. The other thing here is the numbers refer to amp hours, so the large amp number is valid for using the coffee maker for an hour. Just brewing coffee won't take that long, I'd hope.

We've got 440 amp hours of batteries on our boat and we actually can run a small espresso maker through the inverter, but don't do it often. Don't know how big your one Optima battery is, but it'll surely get zapped pretty hard with that kind of amp draw for any length of time--they just don't like it. French press is what we use, too.

Congrats on the new trailer--she looks really nice.

cheers,
steve
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We recently picked up a 4-cup Cuisinart model...love it! We also got their gold, fine mesh coffee screen/filter, so we don't need to use paper filters. The neat part of this coffee maker, is that the lid on top hinges at the back to gain access to the grounds 'funnel' which just lifts right out for cleaning...there's no container (that's hard to reattach) to move sideways like you find in many motel rooms...AND it makes (4) 6 oz cups, has a small 'footprint' on the counter, AND a SS carafe to match the AS alum panel 'look'...

Cuisinart - DCC-450BK

We've used a larger Cuisinart coffee maker for years at home, and it has proven to be a quality product...easy to clean and makes great French Roast coffee - the only coffee we drink! We buy whole beans and grind em' as we use em'...for the freshest coffee taste possible, IMHO!

Cuisinart - DCC-2000
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
---it's good but the problem with that is that you only get max a couple of cups out of it...
That's my two cents.

Randy Bowman
True for most of them, I own one of these (Nissan Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Coffee Press from Campmor from this source) with a 1 liter (1.1 quart) capacity. Having said that, I bought a Melitta 2 cup filter system. That's really all I really need and the cleanup is much easier. For your large brewers, the Thermos (Nissan) French Press is great. In addition to being a French Press, it is a Thermos.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
so: vswingfield quotes one of my "heros:" Oscar Levant.
That being said, most of us have to make coffee (and thus get our caffeine hit) under varying situations, so we use different methods At home, for us, there's a nice espresso machine because I still need by buzz and my wife does unleaded.
On the road, we have used a few things, depending on the situation: a small (~4 cup) drip maker, or you could use a larger one, or a french press when wanted/needed. French press is available in many quanties and designs: I use an REI 1 cup insulated press for myself, or a 6 cup when I have guests, use the electric drip only at home. Easy and convenience is nice, but there's something relaxing about doing the french press, setting the timer for 6 minutes and deliberately relaxing--isn't that why I left home?
Consider more than one option, just like our choices for places we choose to visit/live. You may need two different coffee grinds, but search for fresh beans---that is more important than when you grind them. Just like your choice of rv supplier, the supply quality of the coffee is crucial.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
We use an inexpensive 4 cup Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker when we have shore power. It was a used "free to us" unit that my Auntie Sheila gave me. I'm thinking it's 20 or so years old and the carafe leaks when you pour coffee into your mug so you must pour it over the sink. My Aunt passed away last year after a long struggle with cancer so we are keeping the coffee maker, I think of her every time we use it and that's a very good thing.

If we don't have shore power we use a fancy Cabelas non-electric stainless steel coffee percolator - it does a great job.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Melitta for sure. Not only for the coffee, but clean up is very easy which is especially important when boondocking.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Black & Decker Home Cafe

We bought the B&D Home Cafe @ Camping World - it is a single cup machine that uses coffee pods (Senso & Folgers sold @ Winn Dixie). Fresh cup everytime. It also has the option for 2 pods for a very large cup. It stows right under the sink when traveling and no glass on it. When dry camping, we get the coffee that is already in 10 cup pods and place one in the regular enamel coffee pot on the camp stove - boil for about 5 min. and you got coffee.
coffeydelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Good morning. You are wrong about amps is amps. It's watts is watts.

The 900 watt coffeemaker will draw 900 watts ÷ 120 volts = 7.5 amperes

If the inverter were 100% efficient, it would need 900 watts in to provide 900 watts out and that would be 900 watts ÷ 12 volts = 75 amperes.

But the inverter isn't 100% efficient. So divide that 75 amps by 82% and you get about 90 amps.

That's why the shortcut for estimating amps from the battery for an inverter fed device is the load wattage divided by 10.

I wasn't trying to insult you or your Optima battery, nor suggest you replace it without finding out for yourself whether it's adequate for you.

The only way you'll really know how its doing is with a battery monitor like the Xantrex X10 or XBM, or the Trimetic 2020.

Just trying to help.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Opinions Are Like Coffee Makers

Or rather, coffee makers are like opinions.
Everybody has one or 2 or 3....
Actually, we have 2 sometimes 3 in the Airstream:
1. Stainless 3 cupper for stove or campfire
2. Stainless 7 cupper for stove or campfire and company
3. Electric, plastic with compartments and insulated carafe whilst putting on the dawg at a fancy resort type establishment with electricity.

Always wanted a press until the bad press about coffee grounds toxins.
Sort of like the bad tea bag toxins from squeezing out too many cups of tea from 1 bag.
And....I am too cheap to try one.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I was against the one cup pod makers because of having to buy thier pods. Ended up with one somehow and found you can buy a pod thingy and use your own coffee. Works for us as we both get what we want and don't throw anyway or drink "kept warm" sludge. Second choice for a small group is the steam coffee make I have but seems no longer available. The original small melitta funnel is prefect when AC is not available. Without good coffee it doesn't matter what you make it in....

I think I'll make a cup off the new inverter and measure the amp hours the battery gives up.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Thanks to all. For the coffee advice as well as the electricity lesson. Two things I don't understand in this world: electricity and carburetors.

Since we like in this perpetual freezer called Ohio, we've still got about a month before we're going to be able to de-winterize the camper and get out there. I should probably have noted this earlier on, but we need at least a 10 cupper. We drink some serious coffee. So, we're on the lookout at the 2nd hand stores for a normal electric model. If we don't find anything by camping season then we're going to pick up the Coleman unit before hitting the road. If we DO find a cheap electric model, then we will see how many times we have to "do without" as a result of no land-line power. If that ends up being a lot of times, then we'll likley drop $50 on the 10 cup french press that Andrea found somewhere on the internet.

Thanks again for the advice from all.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #34
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I always vote for the Melitta. the one-cupper costs a couple of dollars, takes up no space, and requires little clean-up. It probably takes less time to make a perfect cup o' joe than it does to make a cup of tea.
I just don't care for the taste of french-press coffee. plus, it is a royal pain in the caboose to clean-up. (Water is another precious commodity in a boondocking situation, too.)
The Coleman thing is a neat idea, but imo, and extreme "rube goldberg" device. How complicated can we make the most simple task? Plus, its HUGE and expensive. space is a commodity, too.
If you must have a 10-cupper, then melitta makes one of those, too. They cost like 12 or 15 dollars. problem there is keeping it warm...which you can do w/ a thermal caraffe, but then you're adding more "stuff" and taking up more space...something else to clean. They used to make a model that used a thermal caraffe instead of a glass one, but they stopped making it, for some strange reason. To me, that would be the perfect rv-ing setup.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
The most efficient way to make coffee is to boil water on the stovetop that has been so equipped in your Airstream. Percolators and French presses make wonderful coffee, better than automatic drip. Or simply pour the near boiling water into a cone filter right into your cup. Think outside the [automatic drip] box. I agree with what others have said about not using a generator in the great outdoors.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
We have the Tassimo coffee maker. Sits well on the counter,has never fallen off even when moving and the 'pods" of coffee don't require special storage to stay fresh. You brew one cup at a time any time you want. We have one at home also and are very well satisfied with them. Of course you have to have electric to use it, but then we always "camp" on the grid so there is no problem there. Tassimo offers many, many varities of coffee, tea and chocolate.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
We bought our fair share of failed coffee makers and finally arrived at a Cuisinart Coffee on Demand 12-cup programmable coffee maker. It lists for about $100.00, but we got it at Sam's Club for about $60.00. We liked it so much we know own three. One for the house and ech of our Airstreams. It even has that Airstream silver look about it and it makes a great "pot" of coffee.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #38
Certifiable

. , .
We've bought 'em all...

Good hot coffee everytime: Melitta. 1 cup version.
We drink coffee all day long.

That's my vote.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Chemex

We like Chemex. I have a thermal carafe to put the coffee in but it never lasts that long.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
I don't drink coffee but ...

... I would recommend CHEMEX OR COFFEE TODDY. The benefits of each are similar - fresh taste the old-fashioned way - boiling water over the grounds. The Chemex method is truly chemistry with emphasis on proper water temperature and slow pouring over the grounds - you can also keep the carafe/coffee warm in a "water bath" on the stove - everyone raves about this coffee - the other method is to decant a pound of coffee before you leave using the Coffee Toddy and take the concentrated liquid with you in the refrigerator - then you just take what you need a cup at a time and add boiling water - both these methods are very "old" and are tried and true!
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote