Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I'm more of a mechanical guy, ..Amps are Amps are Amps, right? So if I draw that 7.5 amps for 0.2 hours, then I've drawn 1.5Ah, right? ...
Yup at 110 volts. but for a 12 volt battery to supply 110 volts the amps at the 12v side go up by 110/12 = +-10x...so our 7.5 amps jump to 80+amps from the battery. Kinda like spinning the 'ole V8 starter for .2 hours...

Back to the subject, we use a stove top perc with local course ground coffee. 9 minutes on the 'top and we have sure'nuff coffee

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
What Maurice said. Melitta.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I guess herein lies the reason why I narrowly squeaked by my electrical classes in college. If we say that the appliance needs 900W regardless of supply, then I agree...W = V * A and therefore 900W from a 12V supply means that 75A are required and thus I'm going to draw 15Ah or about 25% of the battery's capacity to make a pot of coffee (neglecting the Pukey principle or whatever it was called).

However, there's a sticking point in my mind. Thus why I am beating this dead horse and even though ultimately I will be proven wrong, I at least want to fully understand why. If I need 900W based upon a 120V AC supply, then I need 7.5A. Amps are amps are amps, right? Regardless of AC, DC, etc...amps are amps, or am I wrong here? Why is it that when I switch to an inverted DC supply that those 7.5A are no longer enough? I thought that by equating things to amps that we could then compare on a level playing field.

The analogy of the V8 starter is a good one that I understand...never would I expect a starter or battery to resist the load of cranking a V8 over for 0.2 hours. So I get that the concept is real. I see the destination and I know where it's at, I just can't see the path in between.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I like a cup or two of coffee in the morning. Lynn doesn't drink coffee so my french press is just perfect......for me. BUT when boondocking with our daughter and family it is sometimes difficult to make 1-2 cups ongoing. I had been thinking that the Coleman discussed here is the way to go so I am glad that I stumbled into this 'discussion.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Ditch the Coffee Makers

We prefer to ditch the Mr Coffee and or fancy brewers and do it the old fashion way. We have always used our old mess kit coffee pot. Boil water and coffee untill grounds are cooked, put in a few egg shells to sink the grounds, pour and enjoy. . . I'm sure atmosphere has a lot to do with it but its always the best tasting coffee to us. I think the egg shells are an "old wives tale" but we do it anyway.
James
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
French press in the trailer and at home. They really make the best coffee, I think.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
French Press, all the way!!! You will be hooked. I was never a coffee fiend till I got hooked on pressed coffee. Just make sure you get a nice stainless steel one, the plastic and glass ones break.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We use a Mr. Coffee where electicity is available. When it's not, an old fashioned stove top percolator works fine.
Our Mr. Coffee gets wrapped in a towel and sits in the sink during travel.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I guess herein lies the reason why I narrowly squeaked by my electrical classes in college. If we say that the appliance needs 900W regardless of supply, then I agree...W = V * A and therefore 900W from a 12V supply means that 75A are required and thus I'm going to draw 15Ah or about 25% of the battery's capacity to make a pot of coffee (neglecting the Pukey principle or whatever it was called).

However, there's a sticking point in my mind. Thus why I am beating this dead horse and even though ultimately I will be proven wrong, I at least want to fully understand why. If I need 900W based upon a 120V AC supply, then I need 7.5A. Amps are amps are amps, right? Regardless of AC, DC, etc...amps are amps, or am I wrong here? Why is it that when I switch to an inverted DC supply that those 7.5A are no longer enough? I thought that by equating things to amps that we could then compare on a level playing field.

The analogy of the V8 starter is a good one that I understand...never would I expect a starter or battery to resist the load of cranking a V8 over for 0.2 hours. So I get that the concept is real. I see the destination and I know where it's at, I just can't see the path in between.
You really answer your question in the second paragraph by what you wrote in the first. Volts x Amps = Watts, so just do the math. Amps are sort of like water flow in a hose and volts are the pressure that drives it. The other thing here is the numbers refer to amp hours, so the large amp number is valid for using the coffee maker for an hour. Just brewing coffee won't take that long, I'd hope.

We've got 440 amp hours of batteries on our boat and we actually can run a small espresso maker through the inverter, but don't do it often. Don't know how big your one Optima battery is, but it'll surely get zapped pretty hard with that kind of amp draw for any length of time--they just don't like it. French press is what we use, too.

Congrats on the new trailer--she looks really nice.

cheers,
steve
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We recently picked up a 4-cup Cuisinart model...love it! We also got their gold, fine mesh coffee screen/filter, so we don't need to use paper filters. The neat part of this coffee maker, is that the lid on top hinges at the back to gain access to the grounds 'funnel' which just lifts right out for cleaning...there's no container (that's hard to reattach) to move sideways like you find in many motel rooms...AND it makes (4) 6 oz cups, has a small 'footprint' on the counter, AND a SS carafe to match the AS alum panel 'look'...

Cuisinart - DCC-450BK

We've used a larger Cuisinart coffee maker for years at home, and it has proven to be a quality product...easy to clean and makes great French Roast coffee - the only coffee we drink! We buy whole beans and grind em' as we use em'...for the freshest coffee taste possible, IMHO!

Cuisinart - DCC-2000
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
---it's good but the problem with that is that you only get max a couple of cups out of it...
That's my two cents.

Randy Bowman
True for most of them, I own one of these (Nissan Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Coffee Press from Campmor from this source) with a 1 liter (1.1 quart) capacity. Having said that, I bought a Melitta 2 cup filter system. That's really all I really need and the cleanup is much easier. For your large brewers, the Thermos (Nissan) French Press is great. In addition to being a French Press, it is a Thermos.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
so: vswingfield quotes one of my "heros:" Oscar Levant.
That being said, most of us have to make coffee (and thus get our caffeine hit) under varying situations, so we use different methods At home, for us, there's a nice espresso machine because I still need by buzz and my wife does unleaded.
On the road, we have used a few things, depending on the situation: a small (~4 cup) drip maker, or you could use a larger one, or a french press when wanted/needed. French press is available in many quanties and designs: I use an REI 1 cup insulated press for myself, or a 6 cup when I have guests, use the electric drip only at home. Easy and convenience is nice, but there's something relaxing about doing the french press, setting the timer for 6 minutes and deliberately relaxing--isn't that why I left home?
Consider more than one option, just like our choices for places we choose to visit/live. You may need two different coffee grinds, but search for fresh beans---that is more important than when you grind them. Just like your choice of rv supplier, the supply quality of the coffee is crucial.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
We use an inexpensive 4 cup Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker when we have shore power. It was a used "free to us" unit that my Auntie Sheila gave me. I'm thinking it's 20 or so years old and the carafe leaks when you pour coffee into your mug so you must pour it over the sink. My Aunt passed away last year after a long struggle with cancer so we are keeping the coffee maker, I think of her every time we use it and that's a very good thing.

If we don't have shore power we use a fancy Cabelas non-electric stainless steel coffee percolator - it does a great job.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Melitta for sure. Not only for the coffee, but clean up is very easy which is especially important when boondocking.