Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #281
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Should the quest for perfect coffee ever end? Say you're lying (laying?) on your deathbed, and someone brings in a cup of coffee from a percolator, and having never tried it, you find it to be the absolute best coffee ever. Now, you missed out your whole life! Don't you feel terrible? Yes, I think you do...

-Red, not a percolator fan...
If perk coffee was my only choice, I would have to pass.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #282
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Do we really need a perfect cup of coffee, how about a good cup of coffee.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #283
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I'm surprised by the number of instant coffee people on here. I understand it's ease of use attraction, but, unless it's changed tremendously since last time I tried it, as you with perk, I'll also have to pass...

-Red, starting the instant coffee argument...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #284
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Do we really need a perfect cup of coffee, how about a good cup of coffee.

Blasphemy...

-Red, on a holy quest...
Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #285
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Blasphemy...

-Red, on a holy quest...

Alumalina next spring, Cowboy coffee over the campfire in my 11qt boiler. Bring your best mug.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The search for the perfect cup of coffee is like searching for the Holy Grail. It will always go on and may never be found but the search is addicting. So the latest answer to the perfect cup of coffee is Bulletproof coffee. It is "upgraded coffee," blended with Brain Octane Oil (MTC oil) and unsalted grass-fed butter or ghee. This coffee is supposed to give you clear, focused energy and keep you feeling full. Some studies have even suggested that it aids in weight loss.

Clearly that is getting close of course i have not tried it yet.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #287
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
This is a great thread. Coffee is a vital topic to cover on an RVing forum. I’m pretty sure that the definition of “camping” requires the drinking of coffee in the morning, no matter how it’s made. You ain’t camping if you don’t drink coffee.

To my way of thinking, the best java is made with a French press. The method (involving a plunger with a wire or nylon mesh filter) allows some dissolved solids from the coffee grounds to pass through the filter and end up in your coffee mug. This results in a coffee with substance to it: it’s real coffee, not just brown water. Some object to the bit of sludge that sits in the bottom of the coffee mug, but that’s more of an aesthetic complaint, not a complaint about the coffee itself.

Admittedly, using a French press might be a little more work than the typical drip method of brewing coffee in that the used grounds aren’t conveniently wrapped up in a paper filter ready for discarding, but shaking out the used grounds into a trash can and wiping out the pot isn’t particularly difficult to do.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Too hard to clean? You dump the grounds in the waste basket and wipe it with a paper towel. Whats so hard about that?

I wash my french press with soapy water and dump grounds and soapy water into the toilet. Added benefit - the suds are the last to come out of my sewer hose, and it is clean after 288 mornings over 3 years. No odor, and never use black tank chemicals. Of course, I only use French Market Dark Roast😊

JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Nothing better than French Roast/French Press coffee!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #290
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I've probably posted in this thread, but here goes... The gospel according to Drathaar!

I use a Melita #6 cone filter that fits into the neck of a Stanely thermos. We use good French roast. The grounds are easy to deal with, and the coffee is truly great!
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #291
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
It's all about perspective. When I'm at home, my coffee is done with exact measurements, on the proper grind setting, with the proper sitting time. When I'm waking up in the Airstream and tired from miles of hiking or gallons of drinking the day prior (or both), coffee is coffee. We have instant for when we are really tired or lazy, and we have a classic blue percolator that works just fine. Tastes "good" even with some grounds in there. When I go backpacking, I'm happy just to have the water hot enough to dissolve the instant coffee.

So to answer the original question of the thread? I looked into propane powered coffeemakers, and considering spending much $$$ on something fancier, and ended up with a pot for boiling water and a $20 percolator.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #292
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
We use a Bialetti Moka Pot (comes in various sizes). Easy to use, easy to clean and great espresso type coffee. I also use a Nespresso Aeroccino Plus milk frother - yes it's electric and a bit spendy, but does a great job heating and frothing very quickly (550 watt draw). Favorite coffee is Caravan (Portland, OR), not only because my Kiwi husband calls our AS a caravan, but because it's really good and always fresh, fresh, fresh. A fun video on the Bialetti can be found on the Long Long Honeymoon site. Always great to start the day with a good hot cup of coffee. Cheers!

Cruising the highways and byways with Silver Fern when not on the water.
LandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #293
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
I've spent my time looking for the perfect coffee cup. Today I'm using a Nissan ultra. It's more of a desk type, not really good for travel.
Pensacola, Fla.
Go Noles!
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This morning camped in Tennessee we were out of Chemex filters so pulled out two handy Folgers singles coffee bags. Not bad at all.

Do you have a backup plan?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #295
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
This morning camped in Tennessee we were out of Chemex filters so pulled out two handy Folgers singles coffee bags. Not bad at all.

Do you have a backup plan?

Yes! We keep the percolator tucked back on the bottom shelf... Jut in case the French press breaks on the way.

-Red
Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
OK, have to weigh in. Day-to-day, we use a four cup Cuisinart drip coffee maker, takes #2 filters, use French Market coffee & chicory from New Orleans. The Cuisinart is cute as hell, stainless so it matches the Airstream interior, and super easy to clean. It does not make enough for marathon coffee drinking sessions, but it is quick to brew multiple pots. We can buy the French Market coffee locally, and it travels easily. I have been drinking that since law school. Our back up is our 29 year old Coleman propane stove, and my parents stainless steel percolator made by Revere Ware (I think).
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My son just gave me an Airopress coffe press for Christmas and having put it through its paces I am a convert. Quick, easy and minimal mess. The filter can be reused if you are that cheap. I am.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We use a small single serve Kerig. However, must confess our daughter manages a couple of Starbucks and each employee at each location gets a "mark out" once a week, which is a bag of coffee or a box of Kerig cups. So we don't have the significant expense.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #299
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I've always considered the brewing of a great cup of coffee while camping to be a true art form - unfortunately Keurig has replaced the art of brewing with the science of brewing - we got a Keurig for Christmas ..... it will be included as an additional Airstream necessity for all future road trips.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #300
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee.
~Flash Rosenberg

We keep it simple...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote