Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Excellent thread. We now know 100 coffee makers to make the best, smoothest, most delicious coffee ever.

doug k

Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #156
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
These are very easy to use and make excellent espresso. You can find instructions on YouTube. Two important things to know: only clean with water (no soap) and keep the gasket clean and in good condition. You'll have to replace the rubber gasket every couple of years with frequent use. Everyone has their own preference in coffee, but many coffee/espresso conessuers view a Moka Pot as the best of the best espresso. Consider ordering some Illy Moka from Illysusa.com .... it will make your lips do flips!
Thanks...we have a moka pot, but since we primarily drink cappuccinos and mochas, I hate having to deal with steaming the milk in this setup (hence the interest). We hand grind our espresso beans anyway (we picked up a Hario hand grinder a few year back, and love it: Hario Mini Grinder).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
If there are any readers that will be at NorCal Casini, I will be glad to pour an Aeropress but the press pot has more caffeine: water contact over time is the major impact on caffeine.
I may take you up on that, since we'll be your next door neighbors at Casini. All coffee aside, I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

We'll continue to rely on our Nissan stainless steel French press for our daily fix, though.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSVirginia View Post
This is probably heresy to all those french press, percolator, Italian coffee maker, and other aficionados, but newer instant coffee options are a far cry from the old Folgers and Tasters Choice days.

The new Starbucks Via line is quite good, in a variety of flavors. But my recent favorite is the Trader Joe's Instant Coffee Packets "All Dressed Up with Creamer & Sugar." Picture below.

When traveling for business or when I used to car camp, I'd always have a ten pack along with creamer/sugar/stick/napkin packs that I'd grab from the hotel in-room coffee stand before checking out. On a side note, hotel rooms are a good source of free trailer/RV supplies - an old road-warrior trick is to empty out not just travel-size toiletries (remember to hide the previous day's shampoo and conditioner so they give you fresh ones!) but also the coffee kits, any tea bags, plus any of the nice "to go" coffee cups that often include a cooling sleeve and lid, very useful for boon docking!

Cheers

Jim
That IS heresy. Instant coffee is NOT real coffee. I bought some of the Via packets because of all the hype. The best I can say about them is that they don't taste as bad as most other instants. But I'm sorry, to a real, long time, coffee drinker...they ain't it!

Some of the pod makers are good. I use a Tassimo myself, and much of it rivals Starbucks better coffees. But they are made more like ground coffee, not instant.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Boy....Koffiee is 'kinda like hiche's and tyres aren't it.

'spresso ain't koffie, drip ain't perked, and pressed ain't nutt'n.

Inst rox...

Bob
The sixties? I had to move on, couldn't take that boiled bitter perked stuff. Thanks for being so courteous.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #160
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
That IS heresy. Instant coffee is NOT real coffee. I bought some of the Via packets because of all the hype. The best I can say about them is that they don't taste as bad as most other instants. But I'm sorry, to a real, long time, coffee drinker...they ain't it!

Some of the pod makers are good. I use a Tassimo myself, and much of it rivals Starbucks better coffees. But they are made more like ground coffee, not instant.
Rich,

I'm with you completely! We carry the Via but it's for overnighting at Walmart's ONLY and you're right: they are not as bad as other instants but definitely not good coffee, in spite of the hype and Starbuck name.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Excellent thread. We now know 100 coffee makers to make the best, smoothest, most delicious coffee ever.

doug k
Well said! we all have our preferences. Mine is the Best...for me, and its great to see the wide variety of hardware and coffee products.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Great thread! We have used a chemex at home for many years. We bought one (8cup instead of 10) for the AS as well. We use a glass lined thermos carafe to keep what doesn't fit in the cups warm. White Castle porcelain coffee mugs are our favorites.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius

Thanks...we have a moka pot, but since we primarily drink cappuccinos and mochas, I hate having to deal with steaming the milk in this setup (hence the interest). We hand grind our espresso beans anyway (we picked up a Hario hand grinder a few year back, and love it: Hario Mini Grinder).
Yep, it seams steaming milk is the hassle on the road for us. We use a Freileg stainless steel manual frother (looks like a little french press) but it isn't the same as steamed froth. We have a travel/manual burr grinder as well. When we can't find the time/energy to grind, we cheat with the Illy Mocha. Thanks for the Hario link ... interesting.

To all, yes ... there are many, many ways to personally enjoy coffee/espresso. You know you've got it right for yourself (be it dripped Maxwell House or burr ground Lavazza Super Crema) when you have that first sip and your eyes roll back in your head as you blurt "OH YES BABY!"
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #164
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post

To all, yes ... there are many, many ways to personally enjoy coffee/espresso. You know you've got it right for yourself (be it dripped Maxwell House or burr ground Lavazza Super Crema) when you have that first sip and your eyes roll back in your head as you blurt "OH YES BABY!"

And the BEST thing is....there are NO operational safety concerns involved, it's a preference we can all enjoy equally, even though my TV is better than yerz.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Coffee Reeducation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Rich,

I'm with you completely! We carry the Via but it's for overnighting at Walmart's ONLY and you're right: they are not as bad as other instants but definitely not good coffee, in spite of the hype and Starbuck name.

Vivian
I'm sure you and Rich are right. Upon reflection, I'm probably just so accustomed to the business travel rush-rush that I need to wrap my mind more fully around the joys of trailer travel and a more leisurely pace that allows time to devote to coffee quality.

Aeropress, hmm....

Jim
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #166
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSVirginia View Post
I'm sure you and Rich are right. Upon reflection, I'm probably just so accustomed to the business travel rush-rush that I need to wrap my mind more fully around the joys of trailer travel and a more leisurely pace that allows time to devote to coffee quality.

Aeropress, hmm....

Jim
lol. There you go. Now you're smelling the coffee.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #167
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I have this Coleman unit and it works like a champ!!!!
Coleman works well and we always have plenty of propane. We bring the beans, bottled water and a a battery powered grinder. Solved.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Great thread! ... White Castle porcelain coffee mugs are our favorites.
Amazing how a good heavy ceramic cup seems to make the coffee taste better. On the road I use a thermal vacuum cup (with the lid, it keeps the brew warm for hours), but prefer a big Fiesta cup at home. We have tried many methods, but stuck with the French Press.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote