Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe

Good evening.

I thought that I'd post on here that we're looking for a fresh tomato soup recipe, seeing that there are so many wonderful cooks/chefs on this forum.

If anyone has a recipe calling for fresh tomatoes, and would like to share it, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser
Good evening.

I thought that I'd post on here that we're looking for a fresh tomato soup recipe, seeing that there are so many wonderful cooks/chefs on this forum.

If anyone has a recipe calling for fresh tomatoes, and would like to share it, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Deb
Hmmm, if I had access to my recipes at home, I could give you one for a fresh tomato pasta sauce (uncooked). You could probably find one online.

To-die for, with fresh basil, tossed with cooked pasta and served at room temperature.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Ohhhh, that sounds wonderful!

Deb
Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Now that fresh tomato season is over, I found this thread!

This would be something to make at least partly in advance of your AS trip, unless you've got more space for kitchen gadgets in your AS, counter space, and time than I would.

1. Wash and core ultra-ripe tomatoes and run them through a food mill.

For anyone unfamiliar with these gadgets, they strain out the seeds and skins, and extrude the tomato juice and pulp. I have an attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer that does this. Once you figure out how to assemble it, it is really slick. It sure beats scalding the tomatoes to slip off the skins, then pressing them through a strainer by hand. I bought a cheapie food mill previously and don't recommend them. However, if you're not bothered by seeds and bits of skin, just whirl up your tomatoes in your food processor. A blender would probably work if you squeezed some tomato juice into it first.

2. At this point you could saute a little finely minced onion or garlic in a little butter or olive oil in a saucepan. Maybe add a little finely minced celery.

3. When it's tender add a little minced fresh basil or crumbled dried basil, ground pepper, a drop of Tabasco sauce, or whatever you like on your tomatoes. You could skip the onions and add some finely minced chives.

4. Add the pureed tomatoes and heat through.

5. Slowly add a little cream or a mix of cream and milk till it is a nice pinky-orange colour, and heat through Alternatively, add some non-fat evaporated milk. Skim milk would be healthier but it may curdle as the tomatoes are acid.

I think the ratio would be about 1 Tbls heavy cream to a cup of tomatoes, but the proportions are not critical.

5. Salt to taste-- if it needs any.

I like to serve this in mugs. A popular '60s touch would be to top it with little oyster crackers or croutons, or stick a leafy celery stick on the side.

The there's always gazpacho-- just finely chopped fresh tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, and perhaps a little sweet onion, with whatever seasonings you like.

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Jeanne,

Thanks so much for the tomatoe recipe, it sounds wonderful! I'll try it next summer. I do prepare gazpacho, and we really love it.

Deb
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You are welcome! Actually the above cream of tomato soup recipe works by the same principle as many other sorts of "cream of" soups. Cooked pureed broccoli, asparagus, carrots, or winter squash, for example. Just vary the seasoning according to the vegetable. It can also be made with canned tomatoes.

Bon appetit!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Desert Hot Springs , California
My recipe is quite easy for tomato basil bisque 1 box trader joes organic tomato & roasted red pepper soup, I guart of heavy whipping cream 1/2 tspoon white pepper , 5 sliced basil leaves heat and serve with sour dough toasted slices.
Traciyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Mmmmm, that sounds yummy too. We don't have a local Trader Joe's, but we do have one about an hour away. We'll give this recipe a try soon.

Thanks.

Deb