Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Food Storage in a Trailer

Question for you travel vets...we own an Airstream trailer and note that it gets rather warm when closed up during the day. We have concerns about food storage (oils, can goods, etc.) when the trailer is closed up. Since we think most trailers are about the same, where do you store your like items to keep the from the heat and fresh?
dossfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, we store our non-refrigerated food items in the pantry and cabinets in our Airstream. We have twelve years experience in Airstream travel with almost 1,900 nights camping.

We have never had any problems with food going bad from the heat.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #3

2016 28' Pendleton
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

As to your question, we store our non-refrigerated food items in the pantry and cabinets in our Airstream. We have twelve years experience in Airstream travel with almost 1,900 nights camping.

Brian
Moosetags,

Do appreciate the kind welcome and your food storage experience. We live here in New Mexico and temps get in the 80 and 90’s. The trailer when closed up and no air conditioner running gets into the mid 80’s. If we may ask, when you’re parked during your adventures, and you’ve closed up your trailer, do you leave any fans or perhaps the A/C running? We use a lot to canned and boxed good like tuna and chicken, not exactly heat friendly items.

V/R

DOSSFC
dossfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Ditto @ 11 years.

Maggie
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
When the weather is hot we run the ac while parked or at least open vents etc
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRider View Post
When the weather is hot we run the ac while parked or at least open vents etc

We are based in Florida. At a park when hooked up we run the AC when away from the trailer, Airstream or otherwise. That's primarily because we have a big dog in the trailer. Its "his" trailer anyway so he stays there while we kayak. Food must be away from open areas. We fill up the pantry, the overhead shelves, the wardrobe and the shower at times. We close off the shower/bed room/bathroom to keep him out of there. He loves bread or bread products. Food is stored in the microwave. He figured out the oven at home so it stays out of there. He has defeated two latching trash cans and an electrified scat mat so we have to be careful with leaving things where he can get to them.
My father, the engineer, was defeated by the scat mat.

Heat.....we remove fresh items when parking it at the RV port at home. Things like shortning, nuts, cooking oil and spices can stay for a little while but can get rancid. So the solution is only keep the things you regularily use and buy small amounts. Small space, small cans, bottles, etc.

Dry goods like flour, rice, dried beans and cornmeal can store longer. But they need to be in air tight containers. We're in the south. We've got a bug for everything and those things attract them. Ants got in my brown sugar once. They made a really bitter apple pie.

Greens............like mustards, collards, romain, iceberg, go in the frige. They go bad quickly.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dossfc View Post
Moosetags,
............ We use a lot to canned and boxed good like tuna and chicken, not exactly heat friendly items.............
Cans don't care. They were packed in heat anyway. In many cases that's how they were cooked and how they get the vacuum sealing.

Boxed goods are normally dry and can take the heat, but beware of leaving them too long. No GIANT boxes or left a long time without use.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
If you mean when the trailer is in storage between trips (versus when you're using it and out for the day):

Food is stored in the pantry/cabinets. However, that said, we don't usually leave anything that we don't think can't handle the temperature variations. What I leave in the trailer are usually dry goods (coffee/sugar/salt/spices/flour mixes). A few canned goods and that's it.

I found that certain things don't last too well: oil and syrup so I bring those each time as needed.

We only use the trailer 2 weekends a month at the most so there is definitely a long dormancy period in between. Additionally, certain things deteriorate much faster than we can use them. We've taken to buying pretty small-sized versions of consumables that need to last a long time.

Originally, I left the cooking oil - that went rancid. The pancake syrup was pretty gross. Coffee creamers seemed OK but kinda grossed me out so I stopped buying those to leave in the trailer.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
If you mean when the trailer is in storage between trips (versus when you're using it and out for the day):

Food is stored in the pantry/cabinets. However, that said, we don't usually leave anything that we don't think can't handle the temperature variations. What I leave in the trailer are usually dry goods (coffee/sugar/salt/spices/flour mixes). A few canned goods and that's it.

I found that certain things don't last too well: oil and syrup so I bring those each time as needed.

We only use the trailer 2 weekends a month at the most so there is definitely a long dormancy period in between. Additionally, certain things deteriorate much faster than we can use them. We've taken to buying pretty small-sized versions of consumables that need to last a long time.

Originally, I left the cooking oil - that went rancid. The pancake syrup was pretty gross. Coffee creamers seemed OK but kinda grossed me out so I stopped buying those to leave in the trailer.
We full-time. No special arrangements for dry goods. Normal pantry storage, never had a problem. We don't store huge amounts of food long-term because of space and weight concerns, so it doesn't seem likely that anything would deteriorate noticably before we used it.

I admit, I do not have proper accommodations for cellaring wine.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We have a vintage trailer and mostly boondock. If we are going to be gone from the trailer during the heat of the day we will leave the roof vents open a bit to disapate the accumulation of day time heat. I will look at which windows will get sun during the day and move the fruit bowl, cooking spray and candy dish out of the way. We will close curtains during the day if needed and open windows as soon as the temps break or sun sets. We don't store any food and not to much else in the trailer at home as we live on Mars/Phoenix.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote