Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Food Allowed in Canada?

We are crossing into Canada in a few days. I know I have seen threads about this before but not having any luck finding it. Is it best not to take any fresh or frozen food into Canada? I have some dairy products, lunch meat, some fruit, packaged salad mix. I don't want to tempt fate and don't mind disposing of it if I need to. Thank you!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Generally not an issue if the quantities are for personal use, so there is no suspicion of commercial importation.

There are some variations by province depending on local agriculture; if you are crossing into BC it is best to leave the potatoes, apples, and stone fruit at home, and purchase here.

See the link for more details.

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Be aware that similar (but different) rules will apply when you cross back into the US.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Every time we went into Canada they were concerned about how much cash we had, how much alcohol we had, health papers on the dog, and guns.

Coming out of Canada, however, the US Customs wants to know if you have any meat that was purchased in Canada.

This was in '08 and '10.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Coming back into the US is more restrictive , in my experience.

I declared I had some fruit and vegetables, thinking I would be allowed to just hand them over. Nope. An hour later, after a thorough search of our car and trailer, the agent had the suspect fruit along with orange peels from the garbage can and two avocados I had forgotten were in the refrigerator. She wasn't sure about the avocados, it depended on their country of origin, which was noted on a sticker. After looking it up she deemed them unallowable and we had to give them up.

Lesson learned, next time I won't have ANY fruits or veggies when we cross the border.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Not a problem going into Canada.

When crossing back into the US, we were practically strip searched, then threatened with arrest for 3 green onions, not declared, but discovered by the Border Patrol. A 45 minute travel delay. Declare everything
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I just got back from a two-week trip to Canada and Alaska. When going into Canada no meat, fruit or firewood (bark beetles) and declare alcohol and absolutely NO GUNS! Guns are problem up there because everyone in Alaska has a gun and no one in Canada carries a gun in their vehicle.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We have really noted the past couple of years that the Border Crossings into the U.S. have become much more visitor friendly - for a bunch of years after 9/11 we were pulled over and the trailer given a cursory look through - mostly in the pantry - just about anything fresh and perishable was an issue - but in the last several years we haven't been pulled over at all - just asked the routine questions and sent on our way.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
Same experience here heading back into the U.S. We declared that we had some food leftover in the trailer (that was originally purchased in the U.S.) - and that was enough to pull us over, search the truck and trailer and put our dogs into a kennel while they searched - not fun! This was in October of 2013.
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I think we will just dump everything before we go over. What about staples like rice, pasta, sugar and flour?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
I think we will just dump everything before we go over. What about staples like rice, pasta, sugar and flour?
I don't understand why you would do that, unless you are referring to re entering the US. The links provided list all the things you can bring in to Canada.

The controlled items are due to concerns about carrying soil in, in many cases. That is why potatoes are on the list. Another poster had trouble with green onions, probably for the same reason.

We have never had an issue coming into Canada from the US. But we have had delays and searches when entering the US from Canada.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Thanks to all! We had a seamless crossing. The border agent just checked our papers, asked the usual questions and sent us on our way. I did notice he looked at our passports carefully but he explained that he had watched CFL last night and a player on one of the teams was from Waxahachie. The announcers discussed the proper pronunciation of it and where it was located. Then, to his surprise, we turned up at his booth today!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Have a great stay in Canada!

I found this thread after your border crossing but was going to recommend this information:

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Just in case anybody else heading north is interested....

Generally it's not a question of "what" but "how much." But the allowed quantities are substantial. Once in a while a particular type of produce is not allowed across the border due to particular concerns. We only had this happen once (fresh strawberries) in many years.

Firewood is a big problem for both countries due to insect infestations--it should be left in its site of origin.

Each adult passenger is allowed a 5th of liquor or 2 bottles of wine or a six-pack of beer.

Canadians living near the border grocery shop in the US all the time, because the prices generally are cheaper, and there is no duty or tax charged on groceries.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Re: wine/beer imported to Canada: I believe it's 2 litres wine or 24 beer per adult.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Whatever.. just tell them it's French... if they ask how they can know for sure.. tell them you will surrender immediately.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollister View Post
Same experience here heading back into the U.S. We declared that we had some food leftover in the trailer (that was originally purchased in the U.S.) - and that was enough to pull us over, search the truck and trailer and put our dogs into a kennel while they searched - not fun! This was in October of 2013.
Same here. We have crossed the border both ways with the trailer several times, but the last time we re-entered the US we got the whole treatment--search the trailer, question my wife and me separately to make sure our stories agree, etc. They ended up confiscating a few green onions and an orange. We decided that was our last trip to Canada with the Airstream. The game ain't worth the candle.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Nuvite, I am sorry that this experience turned you off against the entire country of Canada. It has so much breath-taking scenery.

We frequently cross the border, and just assume that we will be asked about our food. It is always a good idea to check the website about allowed/disallowed produce going from Canada into the US. We get pulled over periodically by the Americans (not the Canadians) who ask to look at our food supply, but I don't blame them, given all of the foreign insect pests that can devastate a crop. We NEVER bring any kind of citrus fruit into the US.

The funny thing is, I think some of the horticultural police just want a Looky-Lou peek at the Bambi. We've had two US border patrol agents in full regalia inside our little trailer asking us, "How much does it weigh?" "I bet it tows really well." &c.

And that's fine.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Same here. We have crossed the border both ways with the trailer several times, but the last time we re-entered the US we got the whole treatment--search the trailer, question my wife and me separately to make sure our stories agree, etc. They ended up confiscating a few green onions and an orange. We decided that was our last trip to Canada with the Airstream. The game ain't worth the candle.
Wow - that was quite an experience. Not sure how I would react in the same situation - maybe exactly the same - but I would like to think that I would eventually recognize that these folks have a tough job to do - and sometimes your (our) number just comes up. It probably doesn't help that some law enforcement types enjoy their job just a little too much - and I'm sure even the good ones have a bad day - heck - maybe they were looking for folks who were real bad guys crossing in an RV (any RV). Guess what I am saying here is I would want to come to the point where I'm thankful for these folks - they have a job to do and if they don't get it right then others suffer.

Give the border another chance.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
For every sandwich amount of lettuce you steal from me, I get one Moosehead!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Meanwhile, the borders are wide open to Illegals, while we get shaken down
By our own Gov't And the TSA.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our last time in Canada was in 2010 and it was the first time we went with the trailer. We crossed the border 8 times—we went to Alaska and 4 times into the US and 4 into Canada.

The Canadians were polite, quick and efficient and the only food some were interested in were potatoes. I think it varies by province.

The US border police were often rude and loved inspecting the trailer for fruit. Of the 4 times, we were held up twice while they looked through the trailer. I'd keep computers and smart phones in the truck so they are less likely to look through them. Not too many years before, you could go into the trailer with them, but in 2010 you are not allowed inside while they rummage around in your stuff.

They focus on fruit, but other things may be important to them. Check the US regs online. The irony is that the fruit and veggies in Canadian markets look and taste better than a lot of the stuff in US stores.

The US has hired thousands of border cops since 2001. Many have little experience in the job or life. They act somewhat paranoid. Some are former soldiers who may think they are still in a battle. Many are young and taught to be suspicious of everyone, but have poor skills in differentiating between types of people.

On that trip we went to both Skagway and Haines as side trips—that mean crossing the border 4 of those times. The older US guy at one of those crossings was obviously very experienced, friendly and efficient. The other ones were not and seemed to be anxious to hassle us; at the Alaska Highway crossing into the main part of Alaska they were very slow. They also were hassling a truck driver and stopped him for so long it was too late to get his Alaska permit that day, so his trip was extended by a day. If I recall correctly, they misidentified something in his paperwork and that's what held him up. When we came back though Montana, they were so far behind—half an hour or more just to get to the station, so we got through fast because they were so understaffed. The guy there (and the older guy) actually said "hello"; the others had never been taught to be polite in any way. My theory is the more obscure the crossing is, the less likely they'll hassle you, but I don't know if that is true.

Next time we will probably skip side trips because of the hassles. If I were not living in the US, one experience with many of these people would probably keep me from ever visiting again. US immigration cops have always had a bad reputation. It used to be customs cops were friendly and they alternated every other kiosk at big crossings. Having crossed the border scores, maybe hundreds of times, back in the '70's, we'd try to see the color of the uniforms at the kiosks ahead of time so we'd get the customs guy. Now they are all the same and have adopted immigration's bad attitude.

On that last trip, no one asked us about what we had bought. We could have smuggled prohibited items and very expensive items. All they cared about was fruit.

Since we were caught with contraband fruit once, i suspect ever after that is in the computer and that's why we got hassled again. Only the long lines the last time probably saved us from more hassles.

Then there are the bug stations when you enter California, but we've never gotten searched there.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote