Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
They will just ask you. If they pull you aside for more investigation they will give you a form to fill out and ask a bunch of questions

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Glad to see the OP negotiated the border both ways without too many problems.

We cross into the US from Canada occasionally with the Airstream and we've had no issues so far (other than the three hours wait just to get to the booth last time!).

On the issue of food, we simply play it safe and take no food whatsoever when we head south. This may sound like overkill but there are a number of circumstances that make it a practical option.

Firstly, there are plenty of good places to buy food in the US. It's marginally cheaper, too, so we always schedule a grocery stop once we're over the border. If we're going to Upstate New York then we HAVE to stop at a Wegman's.

Secondly,we live close(ish) to the border so it's always at the start of our journey; we don't want avoidable complications at the start of a trip.

Thirdly, I'm traveling on a UK passport, which can sometimes require a stop in the office to get the paperwork sorted; painful enough but with the added complication of a "Fruit Violation" it could get difficult.

So, no food at all works for us.

We crossed at Windsor/Detroit early one Sunday morning and the border guard clearly didn't believe me when I said we no food at all, so he headed into the trailer and did a search. He looked sort of crestfallen when he came out and I so wanted to say "I told you so", but thought that wouldn't be a wise move

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #31
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The problem doesn't seem to be so much traveling from the US into Canada, but travelers returning home to the US after a Canadian vacation.

This is an overview of permitted and prohibited foods:

Country of origin for certain foodstuffs does seem to matter, so it's best to keep food in its original packaging. The rice issue seems kind of funny, but then if you take US rice in a US country-of-origin container, it shouldn't be a problem. The produce permitted/not permitted can change, so it's best to check just prior to your trip.

Some of it seems picky, but then it's hard to blame US customs for trying to keep serious agricultural pests out of the country.

We typically bring things like bread, cookies, dried and canned staples in our cupboard, but buy fresh produce, meat, and dog food (counts as meat,) wine, and beer in the US when we head south.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The US border guards told us one time not to take the fruit labels off the fruit because they tell the country of origin. When I wash fruit, I take the labels off to rinse off the entire piece of fruit, but no, if there's any bacteria under them, too bad. Makes no sense to me. I suppose I'm supposed to rinse them again. Some fruit, like grapes, comes in bags which will tell the country of origin. So am I supposed to rinse the grapes and bag? Then put it back in the bag? And how do I dry the bag and each grape so they don't rot from being wet? And what if I make fruit salad?

At the California bug stations, they ask you where the fruit came from. The US isn't good enough because they prohibit fruit from certain states. So far, nothing has happened entering Cal., but it could. There is a website that tells you how to avoid bug stations when there's an alternative route. I've never bothered, but it is an option.

Long ago, there were roads into the US from Canada where there was only a sign saying report to customs when you get to town. I crossed into Vermont about 50 years ago and never stopped at customs. I suppose the statute of limitations has expired by now. Sixty years ago when my father was driving out of Mexico he took the wrong road out and missed the Mexican exit station. Behind us I could see Mexican border guards running around and shouting at us; my father just drove into the US. I come from a family of illegal border crossers.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote