Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Espresso Machines

I know there has been a lot posted regarding coffee machines however I have not seen any specifically addressing espresso machines. I have a La Pavoni Expresso Inn machine I no longer use. I am now wondering if I can use it in the AS either with shore power or with a generator.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
we are hooked on nespresso. the machine works great in the airstrea.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I know there has been a lot posted regarding coffee machines however I have not seen any specifically addressing espresso machines. I have a La Pavoni Expresso Inn machine I no longer use. I am now wondering if I can use it in the AS either with shore power or with a generator.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

John
Questa macchina ci vuole 900 watts...

On edit, that 900W is for the heating element alone, figure 50W or so for the pump, but still less than a typical cheap electric space heater.

That shouldn't be a problem either on shore power or the generator as long as you're not on a start cycle with the AC while the machine is heating up, or running a couple of space heaters at the same time.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We had this Ascaso Dream in polished aluminum in our stick home —*a perfect complement to Airstreams, but unfortunately, it's a bit large for us to carry around while full-timing.

Right now, we're making do with with a moka pot and this stovetop milk steamer (steamers and "frothers" are NOT the same!!). We chose this setup because we can use it with abandon while boondocking too (no power required).

When I've got some money to burn, I'll be getting an Otto, stovetop espresso maker/steamer, or an original "Atomic" on eBay, that the Otto is a reproduction of.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
KerriO: That Otto is very, very, very sexy... but it costs an axle! (and that's before import duties.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Oh, man, do I know it! I think I had forgotten just *how* pricey. Unfortunately, the vintage ones go for nearly as much (and the Otto was redesigned/engineered to get 1.5 bars of pressure, whereas the atomic is really just a glorified moka pot with steamer).

I've been very curious about the Handpresso as well, and the price is much more realistic.

Oh also, since good beans and good grinding is just as (arguably more) important as the machine itself —*again we downsized from our (three!) burr grinders at home to a Zassenhaus hand grinder, and it's been great — for everything from French Press to Turkish. I just wish they made a step grinder, so it would be easier to switch from espresso grind to coarse.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
We had this Ascaso Dream in polished aluminum in our stick home —*a perfect complement to Airstreams, but unfortunately, it's a bit large for us to carry around while full-timing.

Right now, we're making do with with a moka pot and this stovetop milk steamer (steamers and "frothers" are NOT the same!!). We chose this setup because we can use it with abandon while boondocking too (no power required).

When I've got some money to burn, I'll be getting an Otto, stovetop espresso maker/steamer, or an original "Atomic" on eBay, that the Otto is a reproduction of.
We used to carry a Saeco around with us for the first year of full-timing...we just put it in storage and now consolidated and downsized to a Mukka Express...and love it. It's not exactly the same, of course, but with our homemade chocolate sauce and the fact that it's tiny, and stovetop, it's a good compromise for us. Also, we use a Hario handheld grinder as well (actually, we've been using it for the past 2 1/2 years or so).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I love my Bialetti Moka Express. Stands about 8" - 12" high, works off the stove top on a burner (no generator or shore power needed), and cost me about $20 on Amazon or wherever I bought it online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	156755  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
John,

To answer your question, you can use your La Pavoni machine in the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	156756

I use a machine bought from Starbucks, many, many years ago. Italian made but I don’t know by whom. Probably Saeco.

Anyway, like your’s its 950W and mine works perfectly on shore power or with the generator.

Too bad your model isn’t the original, classic one from 1950. Now that’s cool!

la Pavoni - Dal 1905 macchine per caffè

All the best,

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
La Pavoni machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
John,

To answer your question, you can use your La Pavoni machine in the trailer.

Attachment 156756

I use a machine bought from Starbucks, many, many years ago. Italian made but I don’t know by whom. Probably Saeco.

Anyway, like your’s its 950W and mine works perfectly on shore power or with the generator.

Too bad your model isn’t the original, classic one from 1950. Now that’s cool!

la Pavoni - Dal 1905 macchine per caffè

All the best,

Sergei

I got one of those at a yard sale here in Maryland. Cost all of $10.00. I feel in love with it. So cool looking. I didn't know what I had until a friend clued me in. If I ever make it to a rally I will try to bring it with. We will have to have a coffee social.
You just never know what you will find at yardsales.
Kathy
Decembergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Kathy, if your machine is working you apparently saved $948 USD.

I once got lucky like that too. I found an abandoned VITA MIX machine in a coffee shop. The new owners didn't realize it was a $600 machine and sold it to me for $25.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Kathy, if your machine is working you apparently saved $948 USD.

I once got lucky like that too. I found an abandoned VITA MIX machine in a coffee shop. The new owners didn't realize it was a $600 machine and sold it to me for $25.

Sergei
Sergei,
It does work. I got very suspicious about its worth after a barista friend of mine offered me $60.00 for it as soon as he saw it. Needless to say I was very glad I didn't take the offer after my research. .

By the way we also own an argosy. I just love what you did with yours. Hopefully one day we will get ours looking better than a rotting twinkie. It is currently yellow with brown on the very bottom. Hoping this year we will get some work done on it.
Kathy
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Decembergal, what a find! (…and what a questionable friend!).
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
Nespresso I love it ez and small. Great Taste without the mess. Very Affordable.
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
Decembergal, what a find! (…and what a questionable friend!).

He's like a brother and like any sibling you got to watch them sometimes.....
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Being from Seattle we know our coffee. (If nothing else). When we camp we just usually just take a press and bring some Pike Place or Blond roast beans. Sometimes I even perolate in the old stove top pot I got at the Goodwill. Not bad. Cutters Point makes a nice blend as well, can't remember the name tho.
Dan
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all. As the machine is an extra one I will take it on our next trip and see how it works.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I searched around on here for coffee, coffee makers, etc. as I am now looking for an expresso machine for my 25'. I have a large machine in the house and there is no way it would go in an Airstream unless it was a cafe! Has anyone considered the Gaggia classic? What about pod coffee makers? Do they do a good job where a frother machine like an aerochino could suffice? I will look at the nespressos.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
St.Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl
I searched around on here for coffee, coffee makers, etc. as I am now looking for an expresso machine for my 25'. I have a large machine in the house and there is no way it would go in an Airstream unless it was a cafe! Has anyone considered the Gaggia classic? What about pod coffee makers? Do they do a good job where a frother machine like an aerochino could suffice? I will look at the nespressos.
We have used the nespresso machine with both the aero chino and Capresso frothers. Both frothers are excellent. The nespresso is narrow, doesn't take up too much space, and the coffee can be mailed to you in two days! We have used it in our 25 ft. International for several years. Makes excellent espresso!
Phmhhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Thanks, Phmhhoward. I got the Nespresso aero chino and went with a Saeco Via Venezia espresso machine. That way I can froth easily while using the smaller espresso machine to make coffee. Kind of hypocritical considering space but I am used to larger super-automatic machines. The smaller semi-automatic takes up less space, allows me to use regular coffee beans but also requires me to have a grinder. The frother then takes up even more space but saves time in the process of coffee making AND I can use it at the house too.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote