Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Emergency long term food storage

I recently bought a months supply of long term storage food from Wise for the trailer. Living in a storm area we can never tell when either food or cash might be in short supply. The Airstream is my escape capsule if it is necessary to leave town in a hurry. What are others thoughts on this?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Personally, I think it's an excellant idea.

I don't have a bug out plan, because my house is my fortress. We do have tornados here, but there's not enough warning to leave; we just go to the basement.

What we do have is power failures in the winter. I have two freezers full of meat, plenty of canned goods and two generators. Water is not a problem for at least 2 to 3 weeks, so I don't store water.

My little cabin in the woods has wood heat to all rooms, as well as passive solar heat, so I can get by without the generators. (The real reason for the generators is to power my Keurig and my TV system.)

You did not mention firearms, but if you are bugging out it wouldn't take but a minute to throw a shotgun and a box of shells into the TV before leaving.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Uh, oh.... now you've started it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I was doing some studying on the subject, not for a situation where nothing was available but more so for buying things in bulk and storing. Flour and yeast are a bit of a challenge it seems if you want it to keep for time approaching a year. Sugar, rice, beans and such are pretty straight forward.

I guess with those simple things I could make bread and moonshine...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We don't worry too much about tornadoes here in California, and for that matter, not much worry about earthquakes. What we do have in our little town is electrical blackouts. A couple of years ago the electricity was out for a couple of days. Having an all electric home, it was nice to be able to use the Airstream for cooking, refrigeration and some TV. We were glad to have solar on the trailer.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We live in what used to be the country, we have always kept a decent back stock of canned goods and dry goods on hand. We could probably go a good month before we really had to be concerned. We do get tornadoes, hurricanes and ice storms. Longest power has been out in recent years was about 48 hours after the tornado outbreak of 2013. I did lose power for 10 days back in 1997 when Hurricane Fran came through, but I lived in town then. No big deal, we had a generator that we shared between several houses, gas water heaters and gas furnaces, gas log fireplaces and gas stoves. I would much rather stay put than bug out if the need arises.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Having 72 hours per person in the residence worth of non-perishable food and water on hand is reasonable preparation for most emergencies.

I keep at least that much in the AS even in storage.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We don't worry too much about tornadoes here in California, and for that matter, not much worry about earthquakes. What we do have in our little town is electrical blackouts. A couple of years ago the electricity was out for a couple of days. Having an all electric home, it was nice to be able to use the Airstream for cooking, refrigeration and some TV. We were glad to have solar on the trailer.

Similar to our situation - we've had a number of extended power outages and the camper serves as a nice lifeboat. With the generators we can recharge as needed if the solar can't keep up, or if we need A/C. Naturally, since we got the second generator and a transfer switch installed at the house (2 or 3 years ago), we haven't had a single power outage! They used to happen about annually. Ah well, I guess prepared and unnecessary is better than unprepared...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently bought a months supply of long term storage food from Wise for the trailer. Living in a storm area we can never tell when either food or cash might be in short supply. The Airstream is my escape capsule if it is necessary to leave town in a hurry. What are others thoughts on this?
Living along the Gulf Coast, I make sure my Interstate is ready to bug out in the event of a hurricane. Throughout hurricane season, I keep my diesel, propane, and freshwater tanks full, my black and gray tanks empty, and about a week's worth of non-perishable food stored inside.

Here in hurricane country, there doesn't seem to be much point in stocking more than a week's worth of groceries. If I bug out for a storm I'm going to travel far enough to reach an area not impacted by the storm, and while I'm there it's no different than any other camping trip. The food only has to last until I can get to a grocery store not affected by the storm.

And when hurricane season is over, all of the food comes out of the van for the winter, and I make sure to eat it all before it passes its expiration date.

I don't see any reason to buy long-term-storage food supplies such as sold by Wise. That only becomes an issue if you don't bug out for a storm, and we have a Katrina-level event where it might be months before services are restored. But even then, there's no point stocking food for longer than your water will hold out; if you have to leave to find water, you can find more food while you're at it.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
MRE's work really well. Keep forever. Taste terrible. You may have heard the old joke....MRE's "Meals, Ready to Eat"...three lies for the price of one.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
MRE's work really well. Keep forever. Taste terrible. You may have heard the old joke....MRE's "Meals, Ready to Eat"...three lies for the price of one.

Jim

Fruitcake lasts for decades.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
That's because there is only ONE, and it keeps getting re-gifted, because nobody is willing to eat it...😄😄

Rich, who actually used to bake Christmas fruitcakes as a kid.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Believe me, if you are hungry enough, you can peel the packaging and actually eat an MRE. If you have to cut it open, you are not hungry enough.

Rich, keeps a few MREs around just in case.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
That's because there is only ONE, and it keeps getting re-gifted, because nobody is willing to eat it...😄😄

Rich, who actually used to bake Christmas fruitcakes as a kid.

They also make great wheel chocks, door stops, and pads for your tongue jack or stabilizers.

Actually I like fruitcake. It is the Rodney Dangerfield of the dessert world though.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wink Medication for emergency travel

Never let your medication supply get to empty when home.
Always have enough for at least 3 days in case you have to leave in a rush.
Ditto for any pet medications.
Suzy Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q View Post
Never let your medication supply get to empty when home.
Always have enough for at least 3 days in case you have to leave in a rush.
Ditto for any pet medications.
One reason why I get my scrips filled at Walgreen's. No matter where you go, you can find a Walgreen's nearby and get your scrips filled while on the road. But most pharmacies allow refills five days before the current refill runs out, and it's a good idea to take advantage of it. Also, your doctor may have samples of certain prescription medications that he can give away. A seven-day sample pack of Crestor (for example) combined with your prescription means you can refill while you still have a 12-day supply on hand, or else refill the scrip up to a week late if necessary.

Also on the subject of prescriptions, it is also beneficial to have a copy of your eyeglasses/contact lens prescription with you. If you break your glasses or lose a lens on the road, having the scrip with you means you can get them replaced without having to see an unfamiliar optometrist; just take the scrip to Lenscrafters or wherever. An eyeglasses scrip will generally be considered valid for about three years; after that you'll need another prescription even if your vision hasn't changed.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #17
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Bring fishing and hunting gear - even a good slingshot and ammo is good for small game. Learn to identify wild plant food and medicine sources. Safe drinking water is the most important necessity to have access to.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

I won't talk about Zombie Apocolypse

An october ice storm crippled the Northeast a few years back. I was without power for about ten days, then a report said it would be another week before I got power. Actually I got power a few hours later. Banks and grocery stores were out of commission. People were stealing gas from garages, rather than wait in line. Trees were down blocking the roads. There was nowhere to run

Anyway, I use my trailer as an escape pod, on a short term basis. The house is really better suited for longer term emergencies. I still had hot water, and a fireplace. I could have rigged up my furnace to work.

Take stock of what you will have and what you will need.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Anyway, I use my trailer as an escape pod, on a short term basis. The house is really better suited for longer term emergencies. I still had hot water, and a fireplace. I could have rigged up my furnace to work.
I guess that's a difference in definition. I don't see an "escape pod" as being a "stay-at-home-but-in-the-driveway" option. To me, the word "escape" means "get out of Dodge."

I guess it depends on which natural disaster you're preparing for. In my case, it's hurricanes, and modern meteorology gives me plenty of advance notice to decide between bug-out and hunker-down. However, most other natural disasters aren't so considerate, and you might have no choice but to hunker-down for them.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Like Protagonist and others, we live in hurricane country (on a barrier island just for that greater sense of danger). If nature calls, the silver ark leaves for points north, south or inland. Our generators are tri-fuel, and 40 gal of fresh holds us for long enough to make a plan to return. We stock about a weeks worth of canned food in the AS for trips anyway and figure we would have time to add fresh items before evacuation, buy food in whatever safe place we shelter, and plan a return. Once home the saga could continue... A damaged and unoccupiable house? A protracted wait for power to come back? Heat, a tropical storm, more rain??? We envision the AS could be a shelter to allow us to stay on our property in safety and comfort using gas or LP to power generators while we deal with insurance, roof repairs, whatever. Food is only one element in that plan. Fuel and drinkable water are as important to us feeling ready.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote