Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not sure why you quoted me, but good post from you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
About 30 years ago we were in a serious earthquake...a good part of the little town we lived in (which was pretty much in the middle of nowhere) literally went down. All the water mains were damaged, no water, bridges weren't safe to drive over, natural gas lines were shut off.... and all stores were closed. You can't imagine the pickle and ketchup isle when the glass (then) bottles all fell to the floor.... However, at the time we had a motorhome (not an AS) and it was full of water and supplies , even cold beer! While we weren't able to leave town, we had propane to cook with, water to drink, etc. The townspeople rallied, however. All the grocery stores that had meat (power was off too...) donated it to a huge barbeque that was arranged to have it cooked and folks ate well. It was free. The National Guard came and set up a tent and cooked 3 square meals a day to the entire town. They were fabulous, the food was good and really helped the community. Budweiser Beer donated truckloads of canned water to the city... this went on for over 2 weeks until the power and water could be used.

We were glad, however, we could take care of ourselves with our little motor home, and ever since that time we have had some sort of trailer or "escape pod" just in case...

So, all in all I think having a trailer is a good thing for emergencies... and for fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Certain supplies, water, MREs, etc. Radio gear and tools. Always in our rig ready to go...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We've always considered our RV to be a significant asset should a major emergency situation arise. Preparedness is something we strive for much of the time. Keeping a good stock of essentials is a very smart thing to do. And having an Airstream as an emergency get-away pod/shelter is a blessing.

This type of scenario is where having a beefy solar system on the Airstream can make s HUGE difference. Generators run only so long as you have fuel to feed them. With solar, a good inverter, and excellent batteries, at least whatever electrical needs one might have (probably not to include AC) can most likely be met. The fridge can be run, water can be heated using the inverter, without depleting propane. And the furnace's blower can be run, as well.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I am sorta prepared, but am always haunted by something: what if it comes down to this?.....

Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There's enough stress to go around. As a condition of work I know how necessary these things are. And how one copes.

But full fresh water, propane and a pantry with canned or dried foodstuffs could make a difference. A bridge over the worst of things.

Same for a very good first aid kit. The type for which I'd need some training to use. Better to have it. Might even buy a book to go with it.

Sort of like cold weather rain gear. Takes up room I'd rather have for something else. Sits there for years. But there is no substitute when needed.

(No, I'm not biting on the panic humor he says with a smile).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #47
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I've said it before and I'll say it again....
Spam/ Velveeta, man will survive!
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1439930950.571981.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  39.6 KB
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Vienna sausages and canned nuts. Coffee concentrate. Bottled water. Canned soup. What I keep in the big truck for emergency. And appropriate for the tow vehicle.

But better quality, better nutritionally balanced meals are available. Packed for use a decade later. The quality one should have. And not necessary to have refrigeration or cool weather.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #49
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What is it that they want to shave every day? And how did Ray Milland get connected to a movie like that?? Life's little conundrums.....

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Length of time LT food will last in storage

Chief, I think you are doing the prudent thing.

I expect you know that temperature affects the useful life of stored food, but since I didn't see it mentioned by other posters, I thought I would.

I'm not sure how much freeze dried food is affected by temperatures above 70, but maybe it is. I know that MRE-like food is stored best at 60 with the recommended storage life decreasing as the temperature increases.

Maybe its better to keep long term stored food in a somewhat temperature controlled environment and then move it to the RV when the time comes. Or, in cooler weather, the food could go into the RV for say, October to April. Most food boxes warn against letting the food freeze. I keep the interior of my RVs above freezing even though they get winterized for winter temps when I'm not using them. But I don't keep much more than a couple of food items on board. Any other non perishable food is handy but not on board.
I keep the propane bottles and tank full, and the fresh water tanks full, too.

Would like to be a "Minute man", but I'm more like a "One or Two hour man". Ideally, give me until in the morning to go and I'll do a better job !
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Our license plate states how much we feel about our 28 as an escape pod.. :-)

We keep about ten #10 cans from our freeze dried food storage goods in our trailer, when not in use, and for the shorter trips. On longer trips when we are stocked up with a bunch of food anyway, we take the food storage out to save the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72HR_KIT.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	246835  
garybair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #52
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Perhaps "rotate" your stock which is "timing out"... Keep the most recent.. Just make sure you have enough Tabasco or "Flaming Flamingo" around to try to make it palatable.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Aloha , Oregon
Rotate stock? Ah, you mean like the fruit cakes. ;-)
garybair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #54
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Perhaps "rotate" your stock which is "timing out"... Keep the most recent.. Just make sure you have enough Tabasco or "Flaming Flamingo" around to try to make it palatable.
Hurricane season is six months long, June 1st to November 30th. That's all the amount of time my emergency food stocks have to last. Buying foods with a shelf life measured in years does me no good because I'm not preparing for the end of civilization as we know it, just an interruption in essential services due to a storm event.

So before June 1st every year, I buy stocks of nonperishable foods that have a "sell by" or at least "use by" date sometime after November 30th, enough to last me at least a solid week. If a storm event happens, I use up the stuff with the earliest "use by" date first. Then come November 30th, anything that hasn't been used yet gets used. The rest of the year, I don't bother with emergency food stocks because outside of hurricane season, power outages are seldom city-wide and I can usually get by with one or two days' worth of nonperishable food just in case.

There is never a single food item in my pantry that is more than six months old. Period.