Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that indoor dutch ovens are built differently than outdoor dutch ovens. Our outdoor dutch oven, because it cooks over coals, has a lip on the cover and three feet on the bottom to have it raised over the coals. An indoor dutch oven has not lip on the cover and not feet on the bottom. Both made for a specific purpose.

We have 12"; 10"; and 8" diameter ovens. We use the 10" when we are cooking for more than just the two of us; the 10" when it is just the two of us and the 8" for deserts.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that indoor dutch ovens are built differently than outdoor dutch ovens. Our outdoor dutch oven, because it cooks over coals, has a lip on the cover and three feet on the bottom to have it raised over the coals. An indoor dutch oven has not lip on the cover and not feet on the bottom. Both made for a specific purpose.
Yes.

Bayou Classic does make one with a flat bottom but the inverted lid for coals.

You can use a flat bottom one on a grate over fire, too.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Dutch oven size

The combo is a neat piece but not for everyone if bigger is needed. My thought on the Dutch oven deism is that the footed top handled side loop models are for outdoor but there are also hybrid designs and cooking setups like the grates that compensate. Follow the link to billy bob and see the pics I do not have the experience that others have using the ovens but the grates will let you use anything that can handle fire and heat and you can adjust the height and rotate the food away from the fire too. The trick is getting the stake in the ground!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
CA Streamer,

Nice setup and a DO is a neat addition to the chefs tools. But if its a DO you want then ain't nothing quite like a Camp DO. Feet, flanged lid. Its got magic all ready cast into it, wave your spoon over it and out it comes. Only thing them feet don't get along with an oven rack too well.

Gary
Gary, the DO in the photo is a 12" camp DO (Lodge L12DCO3), it has feet and a flanged lid, I just hadn't put the lid on it yet. I also have a 10-1/2" domed lid, flat bottom that I use for indoor cookery.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Steve,

12" is possibly the universal size DO you could need. This is my collection and I added one used piece that I haven't tried out yet a 27" double side griddle. We're gonna do a DO workshop at our next get together, Alumalina. So far at least 3 DO Wranglers demonstrating including Maggie and mbmbstreamer and then a bunch of stuff getting cooked.

My collection http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-64047.html

DO's are pretty neat camp tools.

Regards,

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Nice collection, Gary! Did you have to reinforce the AS frame to carry them all? lol!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Steve,

Just the tires. Just kidding. Not really16's are next.

I don't carry more than a couple of pieces but we did take the 20" Lodge and 11qt Mirro coffee boiler last sept to Alumalina and served Cowboy Coffee and flapjacks to anybody with a plate and a cup.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Wow! I want to camp in your backyard! Beautiful! Great collection too!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hey Laura, we kind of strayed from your original question but I hope it's all good information for you!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Hey Laura, we kind of strayed from your original question but I hope it's all good information for you!

It sure is! Thank you all!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
General Trivia

During Colonial times the two leading causes of death for women were
  1. Childbirth and post childbirth infections
  2. Hearth burns - women cooked over open fireplaces and cauldrons skillets and Dutch ovens were the only pots and pans.
Of course burns were terribly severe because most people never bathed fully and washed their clothing once a month if that. The average woman wore a long dress and full apron that were both reeking with cooking grease. One step too close to the fireplace and WHOOF. Even if someone threw a bucket of water on a burn victim, infections would normally carry off people with 10% of their skin burned - virtually all of those survive today.

Benjamin Franklin invented the STOVE. It heated rooms much better than open fireplaces... It also allowed far more women to cook far more safely than before. Prior to the common use of stoves, the average woman would die around age 37. The stove, good as it was only a first step in prolonging woman's lives longer and les dangerous..

Paula
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Laura,

Don't know if you've made a decision, but one question do you think you'll be doing any baking in a camp DO style? Coals under, coals on top? In a baking format. If you don't see this as a yup gotta do it kinda thing, then I'd suggest a DO w/o the feet and flanged lid. It would be the easiest to put in and take out of a traditional oven. You can still use this type over coals or an open fire it just will not be used for outside baking. If you get the DO bug, maybe later get a Camp DO and try the baking. I think the ability to bake with coals is one of those skills that while its not necessary in todays kitchen it is a lot of fun to try and get better and better with each session.

The backyard is my getaway. The fire pit has been redone and now its over twice the size and on real short notice I can just camp in the backyard.

Good luck searching and deciding.

Gary

Paula,

Never heard that story before. Ouch.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm sitting here in my Stream, reading this thread so I decided to inventory my Cast Iron. No wonder this trailer feels heavy to tow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2028954578.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	205835  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Rodster, That CI pan combo is pretty cool and would be wonderful for an owner of a small AS that likes the iron but not the weight. They could have a fry pan, sauce pan and DO in just two pans. Love the Billy Bob unit too. I might have to look into that if my tripod ever wears out!
I thought I had seen it all until I saw YOUR FIRE CAULDRON! At first glance I thought it was a giant dutch oven. I am definitely a light cooker.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I thought I had seen it all until I saw YOUR FIRE CAULDRON! At first glance I thought it was a giant dutch oven. I am definitely a light cooker.
That was at a newly remodeled National Forest campground here in California... standard issue for the Forest Service now I guess. They make them taller so kids can't fall into the fire. This one was also double insulated so the steel didn't get hot on the outside. Designed by lawyers I guess Your tax dollars at work.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Interesting stories and thoughts on dutch ovens. Now I'm more confused!! LOL! I have decided not to get one with feet - not yet anyway! You are great people and I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Wow, I am enjoying this thread as are others. Did some digging on sites about dutch oven camping, etc to learn more and got some generalizations to add- The size 10 and 12 camp ovens are the most common sizes overall. Then there are deep models primarily for soups, etc. The standard ones are all about the same depth-All are about 4" deep, just add width. Oh, and something I picked up from the recipes being shared, many are for large amounts and large sized ovens and/or skillets. It looks like the #10 is for up to 4-5 people (especially when looking at the recipes I found) while the #12 is for 6-8 people. This of course not considering any leftovers. The combo I have is basically a 3.5QT inside model (by design) although it is flexible depending on outdoor grate. The #10 is a 4QT, #12 a 6QT. Really you cannot go wrong whichever of these you pick.

My thought, again with limited experience, is that it really depends on how many you are cooking for. I travel either solo or with two others so small is good. I can see perhaps needing a larger #12 if I cooked soup but in most situations the 10.x" diameter models fit the bill. What put it into perspective for me was looking at the recipes' itemized ingredients quantities.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that physically looking at DO's is helpful.

We carry a 12" and an 8".

We use the 12" most often, especially for rallies and bread, but the 8" is very handy for small-sized desserts.

Maggie
Old 05-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post

We have 12"; 10"; and 8" diameter ovens. We use the 10" when we are cooking for more than just the two of us; the 10" when it is just the two of us and the 8" for deserts.
The above is true. I have been collecting and using mostly Griswold cast iron cookware for 30 years. In our AS, we have a micro-convection oven. I use a Griswold No. 6 oven-Dutch oven, it was the smallest size of Dutch Oven that Griswold made. They are now hard to find, especially with a trivet. I have cooked beans, chickens, ribs, cobblers, you name it. The Griswold No. 6 is the perfect size for up to 4 people. You can also use it on the fire as a regular pot but you cannot put coals on the lid.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
i have found that the made in China DOs have shorter feet. The purpose of the feet is to keep the coals burning by allowing air to get under the DO. Without them the fire gets smothered out. A long legged trivet could be used to solve this issue and then a flat bottom DO would work too.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote