Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I would highly recommend this if you are cooking for up to four:

Lodge Combo cooker - also You need cast iron for camping cause you can also cook on a grate. This one is special because it multi-tasks. I used it to make that fudge cake at a rally (baking dish) and have cooked breakfast on it (frying pan) and have used it on a grill to fry bacon - so far. It has a smooth bottom and domed lid in "dutch oven" mode.

Amazon.com: Lodge LCC3 Logic Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker: Kitchen & Dining

Maggie, have your tried one of these out yet? It is just great for me or when I bring a few people along. It doesn't work with a tripod(without grate) but it works with a Billy Bob grate:

http://www.billybobcampfirecooking.com

Also, check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dutch-Oven-C...item2336205909

Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow! Very cool stuff!

If I had one of those nifty cooking grates, I would have an excuse to buy one of those gi-normous skillets.

Maggie

Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
Great advise and I sure appreciate it! We are purchasing the 27FB Eddie Bauer - actually coming off the production line TODAY!!!! I believe the oven is either 15 or 17" - I will have to go back and check my notes. Quart wise - I wasn't sure what this equated too, but the advise regarding domed lid vs flat lid and feet vs no feet is good advise! Actually - everything I heard was great advise. You are all a great bunch of people and I sure appreciate it! My "True Love" will be with me soon!

I like a larger Dutch oven -- and yes, the domed lid is an issue for my small convection oven. So, I un-screw the knob and put the knob on the inside of the Dutch oven and attach it with the screw that comes with the Dutch oven. Just reverse the lid knob. Put it on the Inside of the Dutch Oven. Then, it the Dutch oven fits. And Then you still have a little something to lift off the heavy lid (the threaded long screw). I use this method with my Mario Batallia, Le Creuset, and Wofgang Puck Dutch Ovens. It works well. I wish you luck and many fun Outings in your new Eddie Bauer.
Oh, by-the-way, the Amazon web site sometimes will give the dimensions of each individual Dutch oven. A big help.
Or you can do what I did -- LOL -- take a ruler to the Le Creuset kitchen store and measure the height of various containers.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Rodster, That CI pan combo is pretty cool and would be wonderful for an owner of a small AS that likes the iron but not the weight. They could have a fry pan, sauce pan and DO in just two pans. Love the Billy Bob unit too. I might have to look into that if my tripod ever wears out!

Getting ready to roast some chicken in my 8qt Lodge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-22 17.17.29.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	205615  
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #19
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
CA Streamer,

Nice setup and a DO is a neat addition to the chefs tools. But if its a DO you want then ain't nothing quite like a Camp DO. Feet, flanged lid. Its got magic all ready cast into it, wave your spoon over it and out it comes. Only thing them feet don't get along with an oven rack too well.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Rodster, That CI pan combo is pretty cool and would be wonderful for an owner of a small AS that likes the iron but not the weight. They could have a fry pan, sauce pan and DO in just two pans. Love the Billy Bob unit too. I might have to look into that if my tripod ever wears out!

Getting ready to roast some chicken in my 8qt Lodge.

Now that's what I call cookin'! Looks awesome!!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that indoor dutch ovens are built differently than outdoor dutch ovens. Our outdoor dutch oven, because it cooks over coals, has a lip on the cover and three feet on the bottom to have it raised over the coals. An indoor dutch oven has not lip on the cover and not feet on the bottom. Both made for a specific purpose.

We have 12"; 10"; and 8" diameter ovens. We use the 10" when we are cooking for more than just the two of us; the 10" when it is just the two of us and the 8" for deserts.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that indoor dutch ovens are built differently than outdoor dutch ovens. Our outdoor dutch oven, because it cooks over coals, has a lip on the cover and three feet on the bottom to have it raised over the coals. An indoor dutch oven has not lip on the cover and not feet on the bottom. Both made for a specific purpose.
Yes.

Bayou Classic does make one with a flat bottom but the inverted lid for coals.

You can use a flat bottom one on a grate over fire, too.

Maggie
Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Dutch oven size

The combo is a neat piece but not for everyone if bigger is needed. My thought on the Dutch oven deism is that the footed top handled side loop models are for outdoor but there are also hybrid designs and cooking setups like the grates that compensate. Follow the link to billy bob and see the pics I do not have the experience that others have using the ovens but the grates will let you use anything that can handle fire and heat and you can adjust the height and rotate the food away from the fire too. The trick is getting the stake in the ground!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
CA Streamer,

Nice setup and a DO is a neat addition to the chefs tools. But if its a DO you want then ain't nothing quite like a Camp DO. Feet, flanged lid. Its got magic all ready cast into it, wave your spoon over it and out it comes. Only thing them feet don't get along with an oven rack too well.

Gary
Gary, the DO in the photo is a 12" camp DO (Lodge L12DCO3), it has feet and a flanged lid, I just hadn't put the lid on it yet. I also have a 10-1/2" domed lid, flat bottom that I use for indoor cookery.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #25
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Steve,

12" is possibly the universal size DO you could need. This is my collection and I added one used piece that I haven't tried out yet a 27" double side griddle. We're gonna do a DO workshop at our next get together, Alumalina. So far at least 3 DO Wranglers demonstrating including Maggie and mbmbstreamer and then a bunch of stuff getting cooked.

My collection http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-64047.html

DO's are pretty neat camp tools.

Regards,

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Nice collection, Gary! Did you have to reinforce the AS frame to carry them all? lol!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Steve,

Just the tires. Just kidding. Not really16's are next.

I don't carry more than a couple of pieces but we did take the 20" Lodge and 11qt Mirro coffee boiler last sept to Alumalina and served Cowboy Coffee and flapjacks to anybody with a plate and a cup.

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Wow! I want to camp in your backyard! Beautiful! Great collection too!