Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Dutch Oven Cooking

Dutch Oven cooking is always a favorite at any rally. Jan and I are still new to it, but would love to learn more. Currently we mostly do cobblers. When we first started another member sent us information to get us going. This is what we do.

Cherry Cobbler
  1. Start by putting an aluminum (what else) liner in a 12" Dutch Oven. This step is optional, but makes clean up a snap!
  2. Pour in 2 or 3 jars of Cherry Pie filling. I like more cherry and less cake mix and prefer to use 3 jars. We have found the ones from Cracker Barrel to be the best tasting.
  3. Pour the contents of 1 box of white cake mix evenly over the top of the filling.
  4. Slice 1 stick of butter and place the pieces on top of the cake mix.
  5. Place 15 hot coals on the lid and 9 under the Dutch Oven.
  6. Cook for 20 minutes, rotate the lid 1/4 turn and cook for 20 minutes longer. Cake mix should be golden brown when done.
  7. Serve with vanilla ice cream (optional).
Other flavors can be substituted for cherry, they are all good!

What do you cook in a Dutch Oven?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Peach cobbler was the first thing I ever cooked in a dutch oven. THAT was a long time ago.

Let's see, biscuits, bacon, eggs, camp stew, cinnamon rolls. There's more, but I gotta go apply sommore spar varnish.

Great first thread for the new forum!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
I have always wanted to develop some skills with the Dutch Oven and charcoal fires.

These guys seem to know what’s cooking:

This looks like what we need to cook at our April rally in North Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dutchoven~biscuits.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	55336  

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dutch Oven Maple Syrple Beachloaf: yum! This developed by chance and mischance when we were primitive beach camping years ago at the municipal campground in Grand Marais, MN, on the harbor along Lake Superior. We had too much thawed hamburger plus some sausage, lots of summer veggies (green peppers, onions,...) brought from home, we'd just purchased some beautiful Minnesota maple syrup, and the creation just grew and grew. We mushed, and added, seasoned, and generally did about everything you can do to hamburger to turn it into a meatloaf, the campfire was deep glowing coals on the beach (in those days before so many regulations). In went the meatloaf into a lightly greased dutch oven, over it we drizzled the new delicious maple syrup, on went the lid, into the hole in the campfire coals went the d .o., and over the lid went more coals. I have no memory of how long this simmered in the fire, but oh, glory! We still all love remembering that summer's Maple Syrple Beachloaf. Do any others out there cook with what's at hand, no recipes, thankyou?! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

My favorite cookbook..."Over the Open Fire" by the folks at Campfire Cafe.
Actually just finished dinner cooked over the backyard open fire.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Heres my favorite, Pinapple upsidedown cake. Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mi rally 026.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	55337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi rally 035.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	55338  

bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Dutch Oven Lasagna

At the Beverly Beach rally last year, I made Dutch Oven Lasagna. Did everything exactly as any lasagna recipe would have it except I put it in a Dutch Oven. It was really good, didn't win a prize thought but that might have been presentation. It looked like a witches cauldron.

Is it true that Colonial Families would include Dutch Ovens in the will?

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	55339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	583.3 KB
ID:	55340  

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	55341  

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Don't forget breakfast...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	breakfast.jpg
Views:	5642
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	55362  
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looks YUMMY

I've never cooked over a Dutch Oven, but I've been remodeling my interior. I want a microwave and there is no really good place to put one in a 25 FB SE.

If I bought a dutch oven, I really could replace my conventioal oven with the convection microwave one couldn't I?

Only one question, where do you find one?

Paula
Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Greetings!

Make a trip to your local Boy Scout Council Office / Store - they have many cookbooks for Dutch Oven cooking - Scouts have used them for years and continue to do so. Here is a link to the page on the national supply website too ... Boy Scouts of America Official Catalog - Scoutstuff.org

A variation that I use for Cherry Cobbler is to mix the cake (yellow cake) batter with a can of lemon-lime soda before pouring it on the pie filling - and omitting the butter.

Substituting a rich dark chocolate cake mix makes AMAZING black forest cobbler!

My Scout troop has done chicken parmesan, meat loaf, beef stew, pizza, roast beef, roast venison, baked potatoes .... I'm getting hungry just remembering them all!

Their FAVORITE is a 'farmers' breakfast.

Brown a couple of pounds of bulk breakfast sausage in the dutch oven.
Arrange it in a single layer to cover the bottm of the oven and don't remove the grease.
Add an inch or so of dried shredded hash brown potatoes and enough water to jut about cover them.
Cook with the lid on until the taters absorb all of the water (15-20 minutes?).
Then take a large spoon and make indentations in the potato layer and crack eggs into each indentation (6-10 depending on the size of the oven you are using).
Replace the lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are almost done.
Then take handfuls of shredded cheese (your choice) and cover the eggs.
Replace lid and cook until cheese is bubbly.
Dig in!
We usually use 16 coals under to start this recipe and 16 on top.

Also, a small can of chopped green chilis mixed into the potato layer and/or some dried minced onion adds a litte zip!

We have a small two person sized oven and will make this breakfast several times a year while 'streamin'!

BTW - if you can make it in a conventional oven, you can make it in a dutch oven. You can get them at Scout Shops, Wal-Mart, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting goods. Make sure to get one with legs and the preferred brand seems to be Lodge. And they are now selling them already seasoned. The number one accessory is a lid-lifter (or use channel-locks).

Enjoy!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Dutch Oven Cooking

Several years before I purchased my Airstream, a group or my friends began having pot-luck cookouts over a bonfire on a monthly basis during the warmer months. My usual contribution was Bonfire Baked Beans, and I have continued making this dish for Rally and Caravan pot-lucks. The recipe can vary to a degree based upon what I have in my cupboard as well as what brands are available in the local stores.

Bonfire Baked Beans

Equipment:

1 - Well-seasoned Cast Iron or Heavy Cast Aluminum Dutch Oven (8 Quart or Larger)
1 - Roll Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
1 - Dutch Oven Lifting "Wrench"
5 - Pounds Charcoal Briquets
2 - Long-Handled Serving Spoons

Ingredients:

1.5 - - Pounds Hickory Smoked Bacon
1 - - Pound Can Brown Sugar Process Baked Beans (Drained)
1 - - Pound Can Bar-B-Que Process Baked Beans (Drained)
1 - - Pound Can "Tomato" Process Bakes Beans (Campbell's or equivalent) <Drained>
1 - - Medium Yello Onion (Finely Chopped)
2 - - Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 - - Large Bottle Bacos
1 - - Can French's French Fried Onions
1 - - Can Dry Process Mustard
1 - - Bottle Brook's Catsup
1 - - Bottle Honey DiJon Mustard
1 - - Bottle Worcestershire Sauce
1 - - Bottle Balsamic Vinegar
2 - - 6 Ounce Cans Contadina Tomato Paste
2 - - 6 Ounce Cans Contadina Tomato Sauce
1 - - Pound Light Brown Sugar
1 - - Bottle (Sweet) Sorghum Molasses
** - Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions:

Preparation of Dutch Oven:

Spray interior of dutch oven as well as inside surface of lid with Pam or similar cooking spray. Then line dutch oven with bacon strips allowing the bacon strips to overhang the edges of the pot - - they will be folded over to meet in the middle of the dutch oven in the end. The bacon should cover in excess of 90% of the dutch oven surface.

Preparation of the Beans:

In a large mixing bowl combine the processed baked beans that have been drained. To the beans, add the onion, garlic, 3/4 bottle of Bacos, 1.5 teaspoons Dry Process Mustard, 3/4 cup Brook's Catsup, 3/4 cup Honey DiJon Mustard, 3 to 4 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce, 2 6-Ounce cans Contadina Tomato Paste, 2 6-Ounce cans Contadina Tomato Sauce, 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar (firmly packed), 3/4 cup sweet Sorghum Molasses, 3 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Carefully mix all of the above ingredients together and when well blended dump into the prepared Dutch Oven.

Top the above mixture with the remaining Bacos and all of the French's French Fried Onions. Fold over the ends of the bacon strips. Seal the top of the dutch oven with the heavy duty aluminum foil.

Bake in either of the following methods:

Bonfire method: In a well-established camp fire, place the dutch oven in the hot coals at the edge of the fire - - allow to bake for 2 to 3 hours (until hot and bubbly) - - being sure to turn the dutch oven 1/2 revolution about once every 30 minutes.

Charcoal method: Place about three pounds of charcoal briquets in a circle slightly larger than the base of the dutch oven. Allow the coals to burn until they are about 50% light gray, then place the dutch oven on top of the coals. If the dutch oven has a "baker lid", a fire scoop can be used to carefully add a single layer of hot coals to the lid of the dutch oven. Allow to bake for 2 to 3 hours (until hot and bubbly).

This dish may be prepared in a standard oven, but it seems to loose something in the translation.

I have been preparing this dish for potlucks for more than a decade. It is VERY rich and we never speak of cholesterol where this dish is discussed. The original dish upon which I based this reipe called for three kinds of dried beans with the normal pre-soaking and related preparation - - I have preferred using the canned beans as it significantly simplies the preparation and presentation of the dish.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Great thread - reading it has made me totally change my opinion on Dutch oven cooking. I always thought it was just for chile and cobblers.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
What basic equipment is needed for Dutch oven cooking? I figure a decent dutch oven, lid lifter, tongs and a charcoal chimney. Can the charcoal grills found in most campgrounds be used for Dutch oven cooking?

I'd love to try it but I don't want make a huge investment in a lot of equipment.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I use a small stand to cook on. The legs are only a few inches long and they screw into the stand.

Richard

Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Now I want a DutchOven!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I use a small stand to cook on. The legs are only a few inches long and they screw into the stand.

Richard, do you place the coals right on the table top, or is this table used for food preparation?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The table top is 14' x 14" and around 6 inches high. It is for placing the coals on the bottom of the oven. It cost about $20, but you could build one easily.

They make much larger and more elaborate tables, but they are pricey and take up allot of room.

Richard

Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
The table top is 14' x 14" and around 6 inches high. It is for placing the coals on the bottom of the oven. It cost about $20, but you could build one easily.
Oh... the 14x14 size would be great. I really don't want to get the big table - it's a matter of not lugging the extra weight.

Can you buy them anywhere?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse which has a great selection of Dutch Oven stuff. Better then Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops in my opinion. You can always shop via the Internet if you don't have a good store nearby.

Richard

Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks - there's a Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque. The next time
I'm down there, I'll check it out.

By the way - I notisce you're with the 4 Corners Unit. I'll be joining as soon as I get my VIN from Airstream.

Jim

Quote:
I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse which has a great selection of Dutch Oven stuff. Better then Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops in my opinion. You can always shop via the Internet if you don't have a good store nearby.