Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, red bricks. That would work.

We are still fine-tuning the perfect indoor and outdoor cooking system for our Interstate. Are currently carrying a small, cast-iron charcoal grill, but our grill pan from home on a trivet (or bricks) would weigh much less, take up much less space and suffice for outdoor cooking as well as inside on the propane burners.

We just visited the Cowan Heritage Museum in Kenansville, NC, which was quite interesting and included a large collection of kitchen artifacts---and a couple of hand-forged trivets I would have loved to have. A pile of coals beneath and anything you want to cook is yours......... I really think I was a pioneer in another life.

We have several footless Dutch Ovens and cast iron skillets at home, including a square one we do cornbread in and several griddles of varying sizes. I have seen those huge, two-handled skillets, GCinSC, and lust for one. Hubby says "now, what would you do with that?". I, of course, just want to have it! Somebody is still making a huge one with two handles, as I have seen them in catalogues and outdoor stores.

We love Lehmann's, where anything for non-electric living can be found. The big hardware stores in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania Amish country are also good resources.

I am digressing from Dutch Oven cooking, but can tell there are lots of fellow-cast-iron-lovers out there, so am going to share a prize find from the Hudson River area of NY state from last fall. I was told it was an egg poacher, but after research it is actually an antique Aebelskiver pan from the late 1800's-early 1900's, likely European in origin and more narrowly, Denmark. The inside cooking surface is porcelain, and its' unusual shape is because it was made to set into the burner plate holes on a wood cook stove, plate removed and pan inserted. Handles are slightly raised, makes perfect sense. Also worth 3-4 times what I paid for it.

This is especially precious to me as my paternal grandparents emigrated from Copenhagen to Long Island in the early 1900's, and my Nana made us Aebelskivers when we were children. My mother also made them, and I made them for my children. Haven't cooked in this one yet, just hold it and smile.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #182
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Good Morning,
I work for Lodge now in Sevierville, TN. Doug & Maggie I would love to meet you when you come into Lodge store in Sevierville but we are in Key Largo, Florida right now. When you go into the Lodge store go to the back and look under the seconds table. There you will see a large round skillet/griddle. I think they are 30 to 50 percent off the sticker price. The Aebleskiver is a great find. If you don't want to use it we also sell the newer version of they. I am going to try to use the lid stand with charcoal under the Aebleskiver and see how it works. I'll post it and let you know about how many coals to use. We used it in the hose using funnel cake mix. They tasted a little sweet [like funnel cake] but we liked them.

Also to the others that wrote on this site. First Lodge does not make a 14" deep Camp Dutch Oven that is 11 quarts. It is a 14" deep at 10 quarts. If you use the lid holder you can use the Camp Dutch Oven on the with charcoal. You can invert the Camp Dutch Oven lid on the lid stand and use it to cook on. These weigh about a pound. You can use all of you flat bottom Dutch Ovens and frying pans on it.

Go to Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA there you can see what we have. Call the store in Sevieerville to order them. We sell our product 20% under retail and we ship.

Don't forget about our 2nd annual Dutchstream Rally October 1-3, 2010. Make reservation at Ripplinwaterrv campground in Sevierville, TN. The campground is about 1/2 mile south of the Lodge store in Sevierville. We will bw there Sept. 30 - October 4, 2010.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #183
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
The only ones suitable for camp/outdoor cooking with charcoal are the camp Dutch Ovens with the rimmed lids. We bought our first one at WalMart, all the outdoor stores sell them, you can get them online from Lodge and other retailers.

We are going to stop at the Lodge Store in Sieverville next week on our way home, will try not to drool on the items too much nor load up the Interstate with cast iron products.

I would really like a legged trivet, for cooking over charcoal or wood coals. Other than a very expensive antique, does anyone know where these can be purchased??

Maggie
Trivets can be purchased thru Bass pro, Cabelas, I have seen them at Dicks sporting goods, and Lunkers.

I made mine out of Re-bar scrap from work. But they dont fold flat like the Lodge brand ones.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
James,

Sorry we are going to miss you, and thanks for the tips!

Had not thought of using a lid stand as a trivet. We don't have a lid stand, but I will check them out at the Lodge Store next week.

I have Nana's Aebelskiver recipe, which I could pm to you if you are interested (once we are home). It is basically a good buttermilk pancake recipe, with the eggs separated and whites beaten/folded in. I have also had my own Aebelskiver pan for about 40 years.

We would love to be able to make the Dutchstream Rally this fall, but will be on the West Coast. Maybe the next one.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Maggie,

My wifes parents force me to eat Aebelskivers each Christmas morning since we have been married. They have grown on me, with lots of syrup and applesauce. They have a pan from the old country(Denmark) that has been passed down. Very hard to find in Antique stores, and probably pricey. The porcelin would be nice when cooking them as they stick to the cast iron. My inlaws pan is all cast iron and has a handle like a skillet on only one side.

To get back on topic.. The Rural King farm stores carry some but not all Lodge brand cast iron products as well.

Love this thread. Making me hungry. Can't wait to get outdoors.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Airstream66,

Thanks for the tips.

We brush each hot well/depression with a little melted butter before pouring in the batter, they brown nicely and don't stick. Important that your pan is very hot.

Nana served Aebelskivers with powdered sugar sifted on top, and applesauce. Also with a piece of apple in the center, or blueberries. The syrup is probably the Americanized version.

Fellow Danes, too, I love it!

Maggie
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #187
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
We found a dutch oven in a forclosed house a few years ago and this past weekend I went to Yosemite with my class from school and thought I would try the DO out. So, last week I watched about a dozen videos on youtube and figured it was something I could do. Its pretty big and says Keilty on the top. For dinner I stood up a rack of pork ribs on one side of it, covered the bottom with a few slices bacon and then filled it up with layers of sliced potatoes, sweet potatoes, acorn squash and dropped bits of country sausage all over everything( salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for spices). The guy camping next to me was watching and said I ought to add a bit of liquid, so I added a 3 cups of water. I had my fire big and blazing and waited until it was mostly coals. I had brought a shovel (imperative to have the long handle) and made about an inch and a half layer of coals in the cold side of the fire pit. I set in the DO into the layer of coals so the rack of ribs (inside) was facing the part of the fire pit where the rest of the fire was still burning. Then I loosely covered the lid with an inch of coals and hoped for the best. I held my hand over it after a while and I could feel one side cooling faster than the other so I did add a few coals to that side and a few more to the lid. Bout an hour and a half later I figured it was done. Every once in awhile I thought I could smell it, but you just don't know there are so many people out there cooking up some good stuff.
My classmates had been hiking and when they came back I was chillin in my chair visiting with some other people. They asked about dinner and I pointed to the fire and got the collective Ahhh... Another camper had carved me a handle with a hook so I could get it out of the fire. I got it out and at the table opened it up for the big reveal. All the vegies were all cooked down and I dug around the one side to see about the ribs. Part of the ribs had stuck to the side and as I freed it with a spatula I saw the brown crispy goodness. I hauled the ribs out to the cutting board and they split in half. I had my doubts about the ribs being cooked enough but there they were in all their mouthwatering glory with a hecka crispy side. Had no trouble slicing them up, and served them with the squash and potato medley. Everything tasted great. Only thing I would do different would be to cube the potatoes and squash instead of slice them. I could have fit more in.

Yes, theres more...
Dessert!
Fed the masses and then washed it up with a chore boy. Lined it with foil and filled it with 4 cans of peaches (drained the liquid from 3 of them) and one can of pineapples (with liquid). Covered it with a french vanilla cake mix. The mix was dry and I only stirred it in a few places, covered the top with pats of butter and put the lid on.
Since it was so much later the fire had been built up considerably and was really hot. I kind of knocked it down and got some coals out and let the fire cool for about 15 minutes. I made a thinner layer of coals for it to set on and put less coals on the lid and after 20 minutes I hooked it and rotated it. 20 minutes later armed with flashlights we managed to check it and got that collective Ahhhh.... again! We all decided about 10 more minutes, put the lid back on and ran for plates and cutlery. 10 minutes later I was serving it up. It was awesome, the fire had been too hot so the perimeter was a dark brown but not burnt. In some places the cake looked cake-like. but mostly it was more cobbler like. I poured a bit of milk on everybody's in lieu of cream and about 20 people got a scoop of this wonderfulness concoction. It was great fun to do.
Looking forward to working my way through this super long thread and getting more ideas!

These guys inspired me,
Dutch Oven Cooking with ROY and TROY
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #188

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sweet! I did that boy scout peach cobbler in my DO at Trout Lake a couple years ago and it went over great - no leftovers! The ribs sound pretty YUM too

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yum!! And you are a very brave soul to use real fire coals rather than briquets! I have burned every single thing I have cooked in the Dutch Oven with wood coals. Only use briquets, now---playin' it safe.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
OH man Pink, that sounds GOOD! I had thought of using the DO to braise something, pork is always good, but what you did sounds awesome... can't wait for Casini '11- maybe it's all campfire cooking then.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #191
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I am addicted...tonight I made more cobbler for Eric in an iron skillet and french fries in the DO on the stove. I am trying to season it better!
Casini "11 I am totally making something in the DO. I may be a DO natural! Ha ha... Pushing 50 and finally found my niche!
I wish wish wish, we could cook with fire at the rancharia rally. I am going to really perfect my cobbler recipe!!! (def will be walking around the lake all week to work off all this good food)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I just skimmed this post from the beginning... how cool! Now I know why Dutch Ovens have those rimmed lids (to contain coals on top) and the feet. I'm into the ironware cooking, been making stuff in them in a regular stove, and they're about 1/8 price of Le Cruset. I bet Coq au vin would work well, or our standard chicken roast recipe: quartered potatoes and root vegetables on the bottom of a pan, salt, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, 1/2" of white wine in the bottom of the pan to mix with drippings into a sauce, then lay a salted and peppered chicken on top, breast side down. It takes 2 hours in an oven at 325- turn the chicken twice- maybe it would work in a DO?

Peter
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #193
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I just skimmed this post from the beginning... how cool! Now I know why Dutch Ovens have those rimmed lids (to contain coals on top) and the feet. I'm into the ironware cooking, been making stuff in them in a regular stove, and they're about 1/8 price of Le Cruset. I bet Coq au vin would work well, or our standard chicken roast recipe: quartered potatoes and root vegetables on the bottom of a pan, salt, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, 1/2" of white wine in the bottom of the pan to mix with drippings into a sauce, then lay a salted and peppered chicken on top, breast side down. It takes 2 hours in an oven at 325- turn the chicken twice- maybe it would work in a DO?

Peter
Acidic recipes, like those that use tomatoes or wine, can leach enough iron from noncoated cookware to discolor and flavor the dish. That is the best reason for those enameled cast iron pots and pans.

Le Creuset is expensive I'll admit. I opted for Lodge. It's available lots of places. WalMart has their enamel DOs, and plenty of other cast iron, on the shelf.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Hi- good point about the acidic... I have made long in the past acid things in iron, with icky results ( I was 20) but I've been making Ratatoulle in an iron pot from Lodge that was pre seasoned, with no weird results. yeah I saw the Lodge enamel stuff- I have some Le Cruset and it is my go to cookware here. The Lodge stuff is made in China and I was a little leery of the colors, and the problems with lead etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hi- good point about the acidic... I have made long in the past acid things in iron, with icky results ( I was 20) but I've been making Ratatoulle in an iron pot from Lodge that was pre seasoned, with no weird results. yeah I saw the Lodge enamel stuff- I have some Le Cruset and it is my go to cookware here. The Lodge stuff is made in China and I was a little leery of the colors, and the problems with lead etc.
I emailed Lodge a few months back to ask where their products were made. Their response said that only the enamel cookware was made in China.

I have wondered about cooking tomato-based recipes in cast iron, as well. However, I have never actually seen it written anywhere on the Lodge web site or in the books I have that tomatoes should be avoided. Like you, Peter, I have the pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron frying pans. Normally, we don't cook anything tomato-based in the frying pans anyway.

Lastly, I am happy to see a number of our NorCal rally buddies participating in this discussion! I hope we can include DO cooking as part of the Casini rally next spring....or, sooner even!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I emailed Lodge a few months back to ask where their products were made. Their response said that only the enamel cookware was made in China.

I have wondered about cooking tomato-based recipes in cast iron, as well. However, I have never actually seen it written anywhere on the Lodge web site or in the books I have that tomatoes should be avoided. Like you, Peter, I have the pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron frying pans. Normally, we don't cook anything tomato-based in the frying pans anyway.

Lastly, I am happy to see a number of our NorCal rally buddies participating in this discussion! I hope we can include DO cooking as part of the Casini rally next spring....or, sooner even!
not sure if this would work for any of you, but when I went down to the Lodge store in Serverville, TN i bought some DO liners that were made like these

10" 4 Quart Aluminum Foil Dutch Oven Liners

and I would think that you could cook what you wanted in them and at the same time have an easy clean up!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
YES, they do work. I use the big DO liners from the Lodge outlet in South Pittsburg for my 12" oven and use the Hefty brand aluminum round disposable casserole (from Walmart) for my 10" DO. Gives me more time at the campfire at rallies.

And yes, Lodge makes all of their CAST IRON products in South Pittsburg, TN. They do sell a variety of other things in their outlet that are manufactured elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Lodge of Sevierville, TN is having a DEMO in front of their store on May 29, 2010. It will be put on by the TN Dutch Oven group. I will be cooking Aebleskivers and a Strawberry/Rhubarb cobbler. Come on out between 11AM and 4 PM.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #199
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The DO liners are great if you are doing several meals over a weekend. At a recent rally we did a cherry cobber one night and then a breakfast burrito meal the next morning. It would have been a lot of work cleaning the cobbler mess out of the DO for the next morning without the liner. The Sportsman's Warehouse is a good place to get the liners.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Question from a newbie..... When you use the liners made by Lodge, do you lift them out to serve your meal/dessert, or do you still just serve right out of the DO?

With my cast iron frying pans, I always find them easy to clean, because I heat them and add a thin layer of olive oil immediately after cleaning. There is never a problem with anything sticking that way. I am presuming that maybe this is not something commonly done with DO's.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU