Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #61
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Don't overlook using cast iron skillets for cooking breakfast etc... over an open fire. Mmmm good!
or a weapon for people trying to kidnap your flamingos.... sorry wrong topic just got my mind thinking. We use a cast iron skillet for steak, peach grunt (hubby makes a great one) and duck.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Somewhereinthewoodsof , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
I'd like a dutch oven but afraid it will end up not being used much. It's not a big investment, I might suprise myself! Maybe at Branson, Nancy will change my thinking. JB
If you can keep a dutch oven seasoned properly, it will hold a lot of its value. So if you change your mind, you can get a decent price for it, I am sure.
knightjohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a great little "cookbook" for dutch ovens and camping in general - has a lot of interesting tips besides the recipes.

Log Cabin Camp Fire Cookin'--Lodge Dutch Ovens-Dutch Oven Cookbook
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

I've also used a Kampers Kitchen, or Kampers Kitchun, before. On a long canoe trip in Maine when I was in scouts, we used them for making some darn good cornbread.

Kampers' Kitchun Products Page

They're light, have some of the good characteristics of a dutch oven, and they act like they're two other pots and pans as well. So this might be something easier for someone to stow in their trailer.

The Kitchun is all aluminum. Not cast iron.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #65
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
KNIGHTJOHANN, MACCAMPER GEN DISARRAY,

Thanks for your encoragement, I'll be looking for recipie books and tips for selecting a good (us made) dutch-oven. This thread has been a lot of help!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper
Thanks for the follow up info on the Lodge Logic finish, Jim. On the Cabela's versus Lodge cast iron question , I personally would go with a Lodge "Made in USA" product. I don't mind my Asian tea service being made in Japan or China yet I want my cast iron to be made in America.

Forty plus years ago I bought an 11 inch cast iron griddle at the Air Force Base Exchange in Elmendorf, AK. The griddle is still going strong and is used every Friday night in our home for nachos. I can't even tell what brand it is any more -- but it does still clearly say "Made in USA."

Nancy
Nancy - I feel the same way. I'm getting a Lodge. Who knows what goes into a Chinese one and how it is processed for pre-seasoning!? Lodge has been great with answering my questions so I also want to give them my business.

Jim
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Looking for a "Made in the USA " dutch oven?

Along with Lodge, you can try Maca.

MACA Supply Deep Dutch Ovens

Reasonably priced and pretty. Very pretty. They also specialize in larger ovens that Lodge simply doesn't make.

I have found that the lodge cast iron of today is not the same as of 20 years ago. They're one of the few manufacturers though, so I like to support them. I have read tons of good things about Maca. I am contemplating buying one, particularly if I keep saying to myself "this would be easier with a bigger oven... " when I'm cooking things.

I say that a lot when I'm inside cooking, in the dutch oven (a classic (Um, I mean vintage!!) Griswold from the 60's) - that one doesn't have the legs on it. Easier to use on the cooktop and in the oven.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjohann
Looking for a "Made in the USA " dutch oven?

Along with Lodge, you can try Maca.

MACA Supply Deep Dutch Ovens

Reasonably priced and pretty. Very pretty. They also specialize in larger ovens that Lodge simply doesn't make.

I have found that the lodge cast iron of today is not the same as of 20 years ago. They're one of the few manufacturers though, so I like to support them. I have read tons of good things about Maca. I am contemplating buying one, particularly if I keep saying to myself "this would be easier with a bigger oven... " when I'm cooking things.

I say that a lot when I'm inside cooking, in the dutch oven (a classic (Um, I mean vintage!!) Griswold from the 60's) - that one doesn't have the legs on it. Easier to use on the cooktop and in the oven.
Great information - thanks for posting it. That one with the ram on it that has a divider may have to come to my house.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Dutch Oven Resources

Here is another web resource.
Recipes are well organized (includes beginners, award winning, family, etc.)

The Introduction section offers a nice chart for both Lodge & MACA ovens.

Byron's - Introduction To Dutch Ovens

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Dutch Oven Bread

Quote:
Uh oh ... no pressure there. I need to buy (and read) a "Dutch Oven Cooking for Dummies" (if there is such a book)) and most assuredly get the book Davenpow mentioned earlier in this thread -- "Lovin' Dutch Ovens" by Joan S. Larsen ISBN #1-880415-03-8. I have to admit that this thread made me get some cast iron pots out of the cabinet that hadn't seen the light of day in a few years. They look good.
Nancy:

I have a recipe for Almost No Knead Bread from a recent Cook's Digest magazine that is baked in a dutch oven. It features a crust and texture to "die for". I will bring some copies to Branson if anyone is interested.

Gary
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here You Go ....

Quote:
Uh oh ... no pressure there. I need to buy (and read) a "Dutch Oven Cooking for Dummies" (if there is such a book)) and most assuredly get the book Davenpow mentioned earlier in this thread -- "Lovin' Dutch Ovens" by Joan S. Larsen ISBN #1-880415-03-8. I have to admit that this thread made me get some cast iron pots out of the cabinet that hadn't seen the light of day in a few years. They look good.

$19.99

Cast Iron Cooking for Dummies

Become a Cast Iron Chef in NO Time!!

Unlock the secrets of cast-iron cooking at home or in the great outdoors with this easy-to-use cookbook and guide! You'll find everything you need to buy and use cast-iron pots and pans, plus more than 100 tempting recipes--from classics like Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits to modern dishes like Apricot-Ginger Glazed Pork Roast and more.
Recipes from Lodge Manufacturing Co., America's No. 1 maker of cast-iron pot and skillets. 304 pages
By Tracy Barr writer,editor, and cast-iron enthusiast
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Dutch Oven Bread, Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies, Byron's Introduction

Ganglin -- Thanks for confirming that a "Cast-Iron Cooking for Dummies" does exist. It says "become a cast iron Chef in NO time." Would that be like before the Branson Rally in early April?

empresley -- Thanks for the site info Byron's - Introduction To Dutch Ovens They have lots of recipes and material that are worth the time to check out. I particularly liked the way they explained the pluses to the bumpy finish of the Lodge Logic.

wolverine -- It would be great if you'd bring copies of the Almost No Knead Dutch oven bread recipe to Branson. I'll make our new Dutch oven available to you to do a cooking demo?! Except there is that thing about there being no fire pits in the North Park.

Our new Dutch oven is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Nancy
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
"become a cast iron Chef"
I am using this for our cookoff competition in Branson from now on.

Steve
Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #74
Rivet Master

A few have recommended using grease to keep the cast iron "oiled". I would warn that it can go rancid over time and I use a light coating of mineral oil after I wash up twice w/ straight hot water. Then dry thoroughly, add the oil to a lintless towel and wipe the still warm cast iron w/ it. A micro fibre dish size rag works best 4 me, that way I just put it inside the pot and it absorbs any moisture from temp. fluctuations when stored btw uses (which is about 1x @ week)
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
A few have recommended using grease to keep the cast iron "oiled". I would warn that it can go rancid over time and I use a light coating of mineral oil after I wash up twice w/ straight hot water.
I usually just let the dish cool, that lets the fat from whatever is in the dish settle into the pan. Then on clean up, I scrape it thoroughly and scour with kosher salt. I very rarely have to add any extra oil, but I will use veggie oil or olive or crisco or anything I have on hand. Since I usually use my cast iron often enough, it doesn't matter too much as they don't sit long enough to go rancid. Not on my watch.

Also, store the dutch oven with the lid OFF if it's going to sit more than a few weeks. It likes air circulation for its health.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
warmed over pizza

A little used technique is to use a preheated iron skillet to reheat yesterday's pizza. The bread comes out nicely crisp and covered, the toppings are nicely heated, cheese melted.

If you're unfortunate enough to live where you can't get a good pie, I heat slices in an iron skillet after the sloppy undercooked thing is delivered. Definitly makes it palatable.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Heating pizza in the cast iron skillet is a great idea.

Yesterday I made green chile in my crock pot. It could also be done in a dutch oven with no problem if you wanted to adapt it to camping. To go with it, I made flour tortillas and cooked them on my cast iron griddle - really good!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Heating pizza in the cast iron skillet is a great idea.

Yesterday I made green chile in my crock pot. It could also be done in a dutch oven with no problem if you wanted to adapt it to camping. To go with it, I made flour tortillas and cooked them on my cast iron griddle - really good!!!
I have a Griswold cast iron 'snack skillet' - barely a pan, the lip on it is less than half an inch. It's mostly useless... except for toasting my tortillas. I use it almost exclusively for tortillas. Then I hang it up and it looks good for another month.

It would be perfect for warming pizza, if the slices were short enough.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjohann
I have a Griswold cast iron 'snack skillet' - barely a pan, the lip on it is less than half an inch. It's mostly useless... except for toasting my tortillas. I use it almost exclusively for tortillas. Then I hang it up and it looks good for another month.

It would be perfect for warming pizza, if the slices were short enough.
But... if you want the best tortillas you ever had - try making some!

Flour Tortillas

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup warm water or milk

Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl mixing well. Cut in the shortening until mixture becomes crumbly. Add enough milk to make a soft dough that is not too sticky. Knead briefly forming a smooth ball. Divide the dough evenly into 10 balls (the size of a golf ball). Cover and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.

Preheat a cast iron griddle (or skillet) until fairly hot. Roll balls into 8 inch disks using a rolling pin. Roll out larger tortillas for burritos. Place a tortilla on the heated griddle and cook about 20 to 30 seconds. Press down lightly with a spatula. Tortilla should have brown speckles. Flip and cook on the other side. Place the cooked tortillas in a basket covered with a kitchen towel. Serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 tortillas depending on size.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
As long as you're making tortillas on your Dutch oven lid/griddle...

...why not make some fajitas using the tortillas from the recipe in the post above??

Start with a skirt steak, flank steak or chicken breast and marinate in Claude’s Fajita Sauce. (If you can’t get it at the grocery store it’s available online at Claude´s Sauces)

While you’re marinating the meat, grill or saute some pepper and onion strips and set aside.

Grill the steak to your likeness (or chicken until it’s done), slice it across the grain in thin strips and serve it in your fresh homemade tortillas with peppers, onions, pico di gallo, guacamole and optionally a little sour cream and cheddar.

Better than Uncle Julio’s!

No, I don’t own stock in Claude’s but it is the best fajita sauce I’ve had from a bottle!
Attached Images