Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Looks perfect~
Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Doug&Maggie, It DOES look great! How did it taste? From scratch? Recipe!
ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It tasted wonderful, and was very crusty. This was the single-loaf recipe I had worked up and posted in #134 on this thread. Divided it in half because it made a really huge loaf of bread. Will have to work on that. You could use any recipe you like, using cooked oatmeal and some whole wheat flour is a favorite of ours. We use those refrigerated French bread loaves sometimes, also think the frozen loaves would work well. Anything baking outdoors smells heavenly.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Air Stream - Dutch Oven Rally 2009
Date: October 1 - 4 ,2009

Ripplin’ Waters Campground
Ripplin' Waters Campground & Cabin Rentals, Sevierville, Tennessee
1930Winfield Dunn Parkway [Highway 66]
Sevierville, TN 37876
1-888-747-7546 or 865-453-4169
Your hosts are: Jim & Regina 865-803-3963

UPDATE!! We just received confirmation from the BUSH Bean Company. We have a tour of the factory set up for Friday, October 2nd at 10:00 a.m.!! We will leave the campgrounds at 9:00a.m. with our “caravan of cars”. The Bush Bean Company is an extremely “forward thinking” company, having been a “green” company before anyone knew what going “green” meant! You will not want to miss this very educational and interesting tour. Unfortunately, Bush Bean Company does not operate on weekends, so the tour had to be on Friday, so we have extended this rally by one day and will start things on Thursday for all those who are able to get there Thursday afternoon/evening.

RAFFLE: Bring an unwrapped item to give away at the RAFFLE on Saturday night after dinner.

RECIPE EXCHANGE: For all those delectable Dutch Oven meals that you plan to prepare, please bring copies of the recipes so that we can share our recipes with everyone. After all, we’re always looking for good DO recipes, aren’t we?

THURSDAY EVENING: Meet and greet at pavillion around 7PM. At this point we’re thinking that dinner will be “on your own”, but depending on the response and input we get from you all, we can do a pot luck or put our pennies together and order pizza or something like that.

FRIDAY MORNING; Breakfast on your own then load up by 9 AM for Bush Bean tour. On our return trip to the campgrounds from the Bush Bean Company, all those interested can stop with us for lunch at Clint’s BBQ (Dutch treat). It is a local restaurant, not a chain, for all those who like to try “local flavor”. We have something special planned for all those who are able to join us at Clint’s.

FRIDAY EVENING: 6:30PM at our site. This will be a pot luck dinner (Dutch Oven or other), combined with another MEET and GREET for all those new arrivals to mix and mingle with the early arrivals.

SATURDAY BRUNCH: 9 AM. We will have the use of the pavillion for a pot luck breakfast. Bring a dish to share [preferably cooked in your Dutch Oven].

After brunch we will do a TOUR OF HOMES. This would be voluntary. If you would like to open your motor home or trailer let us know. We will give you a sign to hang in your front window stating OPEN HOUSE.

SATURDAY EVENING Happy hour starts at 5 o’clock [bring your drink of choice]. At 6 or so we will have another pot luck dinner. This will be our Dutch Oven dinner for those that are only planning on preparing one meal in their Dutch Oven. After dinner we will start the [twisted] RAFFLE. Don’t forget your tickets.

SUNDAY MORNING The campground provides church service in the pavillion at 10 AM. If anyone is interested we will do pot luck breakfast at our site.

Don’t forget to bring your own utensils, cups and plates to each meal as well as a big appetite.
ALSO - does anyone have a large coffee pot and would like to be in charge of making coffee???
Stay tuned for further updates - we’re planning to have some more surprises…….

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-53954.htnl

Don't forget to go to the rally calendar and register
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Apple Almond Tart

I adapted this recipe slightly from one I recently saw in a magazine. The original recipe called for topping with slivered almonds and baking on a cookie sheet.

We baked this in our 8" Dutch Oven, but you could use a larger one or a cast iron skillet for a flatter product. It is very easy, deliciously creamy and heavenly warm.

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
1 can almond paste
3-5 peeled and sliced apples, sufficient to mound nicely on your crust
sugar

Spray Dutch Oven with Pam, then press crust onto the bottom, bringing about 2 1/2 " crust up the sides. Slice almond paste and place onto crust, press together slightly to more-or-less cover the bottom. Spread apples over the almond paste into a nice, thick layer. Pull and stretch edges gently as you fold them in. (Edges will be irregular and not meet in the center.) Sprinkle all liberally with granulated sugar.

Bake in 8" oven with 20 coals, 8 on bottom and 12 on top, for about 1 hour, rotating every 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	87943  
Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
How do I clean untended cast iron Dutch oven to get it back to a stage where it can be seasoned and then safely used fro cooking?

I inherited Grandpa Farnsworth’s camping gear including pots and pans (and nice cane fly rods). Seems he liked Griswold cast iron skillets and Dutch oven.

Where to begin? They’ve been sitting in a foot locker uncovered for 30+ years.
Some surface rust & old crud. Is lye soaking and brass brushing still done?
How do you resurrect without destroying old temper/patina?

The Dutch Oven lid has a small knob handle as opposed to lifting ring, can that characteristic be used to date /model id?
how did you finally clean your Dutch Oven. I've just joined and I saw your post dated May of this year.
T-SQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
T-Square,
The best way to clean a DO is, 1. NEVER use soap, add about 1" water and heat the pot, Use a still plastic scrapper to clean the excess food, and then a green scotch bright pad and scrub it clean.
If it is the old rust your worried about the put will have to be reseasoned, scrub with steel wool pad, rinse well to get all the falllout off. preheat your kitchen oven to 350,
coat the inside and outside with a good quality vegetable oil, lid included. Bake for 45 minutes do not put the lid on the pot. Shut the oven off, let the pot cool awhile then wipe off the excess oil. Should be good enough to cook in. Enjoy
Ted
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I forgot to add to the first line,

once the pot is clean off food, dry, reheat a little, and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and wipe the internal surface with a paper towel.
ted
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #169
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
San Jose , California
Dutch Oven clean up

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the info. On small spots of rust I use salt and vegatable oil to rub it out, salt removes the rust and the oil follows it in. Rinse and re oil, good to go.
T-QUARE
T-SQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
WE just finished our Air Steam / Dutch Oven Rally. What a great time. We had 6 units camping and cooking. Lost of great food and a lot of horsing around while cooking. I'll try to load a few of the pics to this message. Lodge of Sevierville donated a 14" Lodge Dutch Oven for our grand door prize.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rally 041.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	89046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally 081.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	89047  

Name:	Rally 001.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	89048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally 103.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	89049  

Old 10-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #171
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
All the things on the table are what we gave away in the goodies bag tht everyone got when they arrived.

We will have the rally again next year at Riplin' Waters Campground, Sevierville, TN. Dates are Sept. 30 to Oct. 3, 2010. We changed the name of the rally to "Dutchstream'. Keep an eye out for us we had fun and plan to have more fun next year.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Dutch Oven brownies :)

I had this craving for chocolate and some baking squares I've been carrying around for 7 weeks. Gave in today and made One-Bowl brownies in our 8" Dutch Oven.

Came out perfectly, more cake-like than would be at home in a larger oven but yummy and soothing. There's nothing quite like good chocolate anything.

One Bowl Brownies

1 1/2 sticks margarine or butter
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
2 cups sugar, can use part brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour

Microwave butter and chocolate just til chocolate starts to melt, stir til chocolate is completely melted, returning to microwave a few seconds if needed. Stir in sugar, then eggs and vanilla, then flour, beating til smooth. Pour into greased 9"pan or 8" Dutch Oven.

Bake in conventional oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, til just done but still moist. For Dutch Oven, 8 coals on bottom, 10 on top, about 30 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	97521  
Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #173
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Looks Good from here. I found some strawberry-Rhubarb pie filling finally. When we are in Florida next week I will make some up and let you know how it WAS. I will be making up some Aebleskivers at our fall rally. If you have never had them you are in for a treat. I might even make them up for the Springstream rally in April.

Keep you Camp Dutch Ovens hot, full and black.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Question???

Advice on dutch oven style
From what I am seeing while cooking you put charcoal on the top and the bottom of the oven. If that is true I would assume that the lid for that style of cooking requires a fairly flat lid. I have been looking online and most dutch ovens have a dome top that doesn't look like it would hold charcoal on the top.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #175
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
sempi2, the ones with the flat lid are Camp Dutch Ovens. They have the legs also and you can stack them while cooking. Lodge Logic still makes them in lots of sizes.

Amazon.com: Lodge Logic 8-Quart Camp Dutch Oven: Home & Garden
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
newroswell,
Thanks, now at least I know what I am looking for. While looking online the DO I was finding didn't look like the ones pictures on this thread.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #177
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Some have a raised rim around the lid to stop the charcoal falling off.

Traditional Irish soda bread is made in a Dutch oven on a turf fire, with burning turf underneath and a couple of pieces on the lid.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The only ones suitable for camp/outdoor cooking with charcoal are the camp Dutch Ovens with the rimmed lids. We bought our first one at WalMart, all the outdoor stores sell them, you can get them online from Lodge and other retailers.

We are going to stop at the Lodge Store in Sieverville next week on our way home, will try not to drool on the items too much nor load up the Interstate with cast iron products.

I would really like a legged trivet, for cooking over charcoal or wood coals. Other than a very expensive antique, does anyone know where these can be purchased??

Maggie
Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #179
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Nice video from Lodge, always interesting to see how it's made. I own 2 camp dutch ovens, biggest is the #14 Deep Camp rated at 11 qt, the pride of my Lodge skillet fleet is my 20" two handed skillet. I have a collection of smaller ones down to a little breakfast skillet. One thing that an iron skillet excels at is pizza, try it. The 20" was discontinued several years ago, it is a pancake making machine extrodinare! In the video the largest is now 17". One of our favorites is to do a beef roast in the big dutch oven, roast, browning, then later potatoes, carrots, onions and finally make some gravy. Amazing how little heat it takes to cook.

Finally a plug for one of my favorite stores for a bunch of stuff too varied to mention and they sell a LOT of Lodge, Lehman Hardware, Kidron Ohio, in one of Ohio's hearts of Amish country. Worth a visit and a bit more fun then sign in and click to complete your purchase. Try next door at the Town & Country store, go downstairs and have a fried Trail Bologna sandwich and a bowl of soup. Beautiful countryside.
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #180
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Instead of a trivet try regular red bricks to prop up your pot. Works great.
Google Bryon's Dutch Oven Recipes
[IMG]papadutch.home.comcast.net[/IMG]

Great Site

Ted