I think you still can get it on Amazon

Ted

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I need to amend my previous posting.
"Lovin' Dutch Oven" is not just a cookbook it is a text on the Care and Feedin
of dutchovens. Great reference on seasoning a new pan, to the all inportant temp control while cooking, to the clean of same.
Ted

Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Buying camp style Dutch Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Between Cabela's and Lodge there is a $44.00 difference. Is Lodge that much better than Cabela's to pay twice as much for it?
Checked with Cabela’s customer service & their cast iron is imported from China. Nothing wrong with that; but it probably has a lot to do with the pricing.

Lodge has a foundry in Pittsburg, TN where their all cast iron cookware is made. Their enamel cookware is imported.

Last weekend in April is the Nat. Cornbread Festival in Pittsburg, TN. This is the one occasion each year when Lodge gives tours of the foundry.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Somewhereinthewoodsof , Maine
Quote:
Yup - that's exactly why I'm asking if campground charcoal grills can be used with Dutch ovens - I don't want to carry more than I absolutely have to.
If the grill top part can come off or be swung up and out of the way, yes, very easy to use the camp grills. You can, of course, use the camp fire rings, but that's not what you're asking, I think.

If the grill on the top does not get out of the way you can bring a metal plate and put that under your oven. An old cookie sheet that you were going to throw away MIGHT work for that, but it'll have to be a sturdy one that can handle the heat.

While we're at it, you can use most paver blocks as bases for dutch ovens, bricks, etc. Just not things that are very water logged, as the water will steam and crack the stone/brick/rock/paver. I use a dutch oven on the deck with a few surplus pavers I have. metal pan, pavers, charcoal, dutch oven. And yes, on a wooden deck. But I have enough around it so that when an errant coal rolls, it gets caught on the pan.

Also, don't forget that if you have the tradtional camp dutch oven, not only do you have an oven, but you also have a griddle.Granted, it's a concave griddle, but you can do your eggs and bacon on the inside of the lid. Works great. Just have to expect everything to slide into the center.

Also, if you get a dutch oven that is older, like a Griswold, and it doesn't have legs, you'll want to have something to give it some support. While you CAN just lay one of those on coals, I don't like to. It's better to have some air circulation around (for most recipes) and the legs let you get that. You also get more even cooking with the dutch oven with legs.

I have a #16 lodge for camping and I have a griswold for in the house dutch oven cooking (pot roast in the oven in this is yummy).

Hope all this helps someone.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
Checked with Cabela’s customer service & their cast iron is imported from China. Nothing wrong with that; but it probably has a lot to do with the pricing.

Lodge has a foundry in Pittsburg, TN where their all cast iron cookware is made. Their enamel cookware is imported.

Last weekend in April is the Nat. Cornbread Festival in Pittsburg, TN. This is the one occasion each year when Lodge gives tours of the foundry.
China??? I may be a liberal thinkin' demmacrat... but when it comes to most things, if I have a choice, I'll support the US made products any day - even if it costs a few bucks more! Lodge wins! Hands down!

Jim (proud to drive a Ford and for some reason feeling very partiotic today!)
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Nancy - I also asked them if the textured finish would eventually get smooth with additional use and seasoning - they haven't responded to that one yet.
I got a response from Lodge customer service. The Logic pan is pre-seasoned actually using vegetable oil applied and heated under high temperatures. The texture in the finish will get as smooth as a conventional finish cast iron pan over time with proper care.

Jim
Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Two additional sources for dutch ovens is your local army/navy surplus store and your local ACE/True Value Hardware store. Wander the aisles of the local hardware store and you will be amazed at what is there.

Bill

ps: I will usually always buy American over imports when given the choice.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
I got a response from Lodge customer service. The Logic pan is pre-seasoned actually using vegetable oil applied and heated under high temperatures. The texture in the finish will get as smooth as a conventional finish cast iron pan over time with proper care.

Jim
Thanks for the follow up info on the Lodge Logic finish, Jim. On the Cabela's versus Lodge cast iron question , I personally would go with a Lodge "Made in USA" product. I don't mind my Asian tea service being made in Japan or China yet I want my cast iron to be made in America.

Forty plus years ago I bought an 11 inch cast iron griddle at the Air Force Base Exchange in Elmendorf, AK. The griddle is still going strong and is used every Friday night in our home for nachos. I can't even tell what brand it is any more -- but it does still clearly say "Made in USA."

Nancy
Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #51
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper
The griddle is still going strong and is used every Friday night in our home for nachos.
Nancy
A griddle to make nachos? Do tell

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Nachos on the cast iron griddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
A griddle to make nachos? Do tell
Okay, so you caught me trying to keep clean up easy. We put a sheet of aluminum foil over the cast iron griddle, put a layer of tortilla chips on it, sprinkle liberally with shredded Cojack and/or Pepperjack cheese, top with jalapenos to taste and heat it all up in the preheated oven at 375 degrees for about 15 min or till the cheese is nicely melted. We eat the nachos right off the griddle since the griddle holds the heat and helps the nachos stay warm a little longer. The foil keeps the griddle clean. Sometimes we add warm chili or browned ground beef with taco seasoning to the top of nachos as well.

We like the original round Medallion Brand Tortilla chips from Sam's -- it's the big box of restaurant type tortilla chips. And we get the blocks of Cojack and Pepperjack cheese from Sam's.

We do this indoors with a regular oven. I'm thinking if you preheat a Dutch oven over coals or a campfire, build your nachos on a sheet of aluminum foil, and put the foil of nachos in the preheated Dutch oven, you could get a decent batch of nachos over coals or a campfire. Now, at this point, that's all theory.

Nancy
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
So Nancy...will you be showing this off at Branson?????

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
So Nancy...will you be showing this off at Branson?????

Steve
Maybe experimenting?!

Actually, we thought we try warming up our baked beans for the pot luck in the Dutch oven. We're going to bake them at home before we head down to Compton Ridge.

But, heck, maybe we could try campfire nachos ---
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well...there are no fire pits in the north park. Last year we were able to have a fire since someone brought a propane fired gas pit.

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Well...there are no fire pits in the north park. Last year we were able to have a fire since someone brought a propane fired gas pit.

Steve
Ah ... good to know.