Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #295
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
James Rogers,

I have a old school hand made tripod that I have used for my 14" DO and will most likely use again on the tripod, but looking to prevent it from tipping on the hook. The bail doesn't have any center notch.

Any suggestions how to use it on the tripod hook and keep it from tipping?

Sorry to hear about the fire, that stinks.

Thanks,

Gary

we used two wire rope cable clamps. Tighten two nuts east on easy off. Put them about a half inch apart. Good luck

Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #296
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
San Jose , California
Hi there,
Just want to say that "Dutch Oven Cooking for Dummies" is the best book to find everything you ever wanted to know about the subject with lots of recipes. Try it, you'll like it. I got mine at amazon or at your local Sportsman's Warehouse. I have about 6 or 8 other "Dutch Oven" cookbooks, Cee Dub is the best in that department.

Happy trails and cookoffs.
T-SQUARE

Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A simple little recipe I like to cook in my dutch oven;

With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready. Just a simple little dish you can whip up and have with some kind of meat.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #298
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That dish would re-season your DO very nicely, too.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #299
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
That dish would re-season your DO very nicely, too.
Everything is better with bacon!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
A simple little recipe I like to cook in my dutch oven;

With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready. Just a simple little dish you can whip up and have with some kind of meat.

Wow!! Now that sounds delicious!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #301
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Everything is better with bacon!

Yes it is. Bacon with anything is good.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #302
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Share Mixed Greens Recipe?

Hi Chillpoints,

You mentioned in another thread that you have a wonderful mixed greens recipe. Would you mind sharing that recipe?

Thanks!
nancy mac (mrs maccamper)
Old 03-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #303
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Greens go with most anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
Hi Chillpoints,

You mentioned in another thread that you have a wonderful mixed greens recipe. Would you mind sharing that recipe?

Thanks!
nancy mac (mrs maccamper)
Sorry Mrs MacCamper I had not found this thread until now. Glad I did. The only criteria to sharing the recipe is you can't make it at the Alumalina gathering. I don't want there to be two dishes.
I would have to say this is a loose recipe. Sometimes a little more of this and a little less of that. We have been known to cook a whole pound of bacon just because you wouldn't want half a pound of bacon to get lost in the fridge. The young man who taught it to us was a college student from Kenya. I am not completely sure he made it the exact same way twice. This is what we have settled on and like it. Have fun with it..

5-7 pieces of bacon cut into small pieces before frying.
1 large onion diced (we like a sweet onion but any will work)
3 large tomatoes diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 bunch greens chopped. Some stores carry pre-chopped bags. (Mustard, Kale, turnip, or collard. We like one bag Mustard one bag Kale. mix and matching gives the best flavors and textures)
In a large deep pot -Sautee the bacon until the fat begins to render but before the bacon becomes crisp, add diced onions and cook on medium heat until they just begin to become translucent. (Do not cook to caramelize)
Add greens in large handfuls to fill the pot cover and let steam wilt the greens. As the greens begin to soften and cook down keep adding more greens. When the last of the greens are added add the diced tomatoes and garlic, stir and cover cook over a low/medium heat. Stir frequently to keep the mixture turning so it does not stick. Cook mixture until the greens are at your desired tenderness. We like some to still have some crunch to them. (Makes about 8-10 servings)

Since there are only three of us,We will often have the leftovers for breakfast the next morning (or for a few days). Our daughters preferred way is to put about 1 ˝ cups of cooked greens into a cast iron skillet lightly sprayed with olive oil and heat until warm throughout. Stir as necessary to keep from sticking. When the greens are warm, form a “bird nest” with the greens in the pan and crack two fresh eggs into the nest. Place lid over skillet and allow the eggs to cook and steam. When egg yellow is beginning to cook, sprinkle with cheese of your choice (cheddar, parmesan, or mozzarella) on the eggs and cover again to allow the cheese to melt. Serve when the eggs are the firmness desired. If you like a little kick in the morning you can top with a dash of “Tiger Sauce”.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #304
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This sounds delicious, Jonathon!

Can't wait to try it at Alumalina.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate your sharing. No problem on the duplicates at the rally since we won't be at the rally. It's neat to know that your recipe came from a young man from Kenya.

We do something similar with greens based off a collard greens recipe from Chicago Cajun Chef Jimmy Bannos' "The Heaven on Seven Cookbook." Like yours, our recipe is a "loose" recipe. I've never prepared it outdoors in a Dutch Oven so you gave me the motivation to fix greens as a side the next time we make Dutch Oven jambalaya. I think your recipe lends itself more to slower cooking outdoors than my baby greens recipe.

Our local Kroger store has had some great prices on organic baby kale, spinach, and a mixture of greens they have labeled power greens. We happened to have some in our fridge. Fat Tuesday is coming up and you mentioning greens made me think of fixing them for our Mardi Gras supper. Here's how our latest batch went together:

Ingredients:
1 pkg baby spinach (about 16 oz)
1 pkg mixed greens aka power greens (about 16 oz)
1 pkg baby kale (about 16 oz)
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1/2 cup diced red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup diced smoked sausage (or pork/ham/bacon of choice)
2 cloves roasted garlic
3/4 cup Italian dressing (we use Newman's Own organic balsamic vinaigrette)
2+/- cups chicken stock (we use Kitchen Basics brand)
1 teaspoon of Jimmy's Angel Dust Cajun Seasoning (or any cajun seasoning)
Dash of red pepper flakes
Salt (or not) and pepper to taste
1+ Tablespoon of sugar in some form to taste (we use organic Blue Raw Agave)

Saute the peppers, onions in a tablespoon or two of olive oil till soft. Add the diced smoked sausage and continue cooking till the sausage has some browning to it.

Add the cleaned greens to the pan along with the roasted garlic and Italian dressing. Immediately add chicken stock to cover the greens. Then add the remaining seasonings, cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. The Italian dressing gives a tartness to the "pot liquor" so you can add some kind of sugar to taste to cut the tartness.

Simmer covered over low heat till tender, stirring occasionally, and adding more chicken stock or water as needed. The baby greens don't need as long a cooking time as greens that are harvested at full growth.

I hadn't heard of serving the greens with an egg. We'll give that a try. Thanks again for sharing your recipe!

nancy mac
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #306
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Parchment paper is our new, DO cooking best friend.

We have been using the liners for years, which are perfect for cobblers, pies, monkey bread, etc, both in eliminating mess and extracting the baked items.

They are bigger than needed for bread, biscuits, etc, though. A square of parchment paper is perfect, and inexpensive.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
don't use the liners for something liquid such as baked beans. You will be picking paper as you eat. Not a good source of fiber. I use the deep round aluminum cake pans that fit my 10 inch DO.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #308
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's true, although baked beans aren't the problem for me that something gooey, sticky and cinnamon-ey is.

We do the former in the DO, sometimes with ground beef, onion and BBQ sauce.

The cinnamon in the latter tends to be absorbed into the cast iron, causing everything to taste faintly of cinnamon for a very long time.

Not that cinnamon is a bad thing.....but not what you want in a loaf of bread, biscuits, etc.

Maggie