4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
[Dutch Oven Gathering]
Saturday Nov. 12, 2011
Jim & Regina 865-803-3963
272 Very Old Barton Trail
Dandridge, TN 37725

All of my DOG's and Rallies are open to anyone that cooks with cast iron, would like to learn about cooking with cast iron, would just like to bring a dish to pass, hanging around and eat with us.

Come out and join us. We are having another DOG [Dutch Oven Gathering] at our house. We live on Douglas Lake. The cooking will be on Saturday, eat at 5 PM. Bring your Dutch Oven and come out and join the fun . We will have a big campfire to sit by and relax after a great meal prepared in a Dutch Oven. If you have friends interested in cooking, bring them along.

Let us know if you are planning to come to our DOG, how many in your group, and what you are cooking.
Call 865-803-3963 or check us out at dutchstream.webs.com

Don't forget to bring your lawn chairs, utensils and something to drink.

Directions [Some GPS are wrong]

On I -40 take Exit 417 to Dandridge, TN. Turn south on 92 [at bottom of ramp]. Follow 92 over big green bridge. Go about 7 miles to
Indian Creek Road [also 363] and turn left. Go less than 1 mile to Sandy Ridge Road and turn left. Go about 1/2 mile to Stillhouse Road [just past white picket fence on your left] and turn right. Go to first road on your right at bottom of steep hill. Turn onto Very Old Barton Trail and follow to our house. We have all the huge rocks at our driveway. Turn right and follow gravel drive to your right. This will take you to our cooking area down by the lake.

Our dog does not play well with others so you might want to leave your dog at home.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #268
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
FIRST DOG of 2012
[Dutch Oven Gathering]
JANUARY 28, 2012
Dandridge, TN 37725

All of our DOG's and Rallies are open to anyone that cooks with cast iron, would like to learn about cooking with cast iron, would just like to bring a dish to pass, hanging around and eat with us.

Come out and join us for our FIRST DOG of 2012. We are having another DOG [Dutch Oven Gathering] at our house on beautiful Douglas Lake. With the weather being cool we are going to do the cooking up by the house. Then we can take the food inside to eat. WE WILL EAT AROUND 4PM. Make sure you get here early enough to cook your food. If you have friends interested in cooking, bring them along.

Let us know if you are planning to come to our DOG, how many in your group, and what you are cooking.
Call 865-803-3963 or check us out at dutchstream.webs.com

On I -40 take Exit 417 to Dandridge, TN. Turn south on 92 [at bottom of ramp]. Follow 92 over big green bridge. Go about 7 miles to Indian Creek Road [also 363] and turn left. Go less than 1 mile to Sandy Ridge Road and turn left. Go about 1/2 mile to Stillhouse Road [just past white picket fence on your left] and turn right. Go to first road on your right at bottom of steep hill. Turn onto Very Old Barton Trail and follow to our house. We have all the huge rocks at our driveway.

Our dog does not play well with others so you might want to leave your dog at home.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #269
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
DOG
[Dutch Oven Gathering]
March 24, 2012
Dandridge, TN 37725

"Let's take a step back in time"

After a cowboy being on his horse all day tending cattle he would come back to camp for some grub. The cook is making the meal over an open fire in his cast iron pot [s]. The smell makes the cowboy even hungrier. He get a plate full, goes to find a place to sit and eat. After eating he would sit back and talk or tell jokes by a camp fire. Maybe a cowboy would have a guitar or some other instrument and sing or play us a few songs. If you know of anyone that plays bring them along to play for us. Come out and cook with us in your cast iron pots just like our ancestors did.

Our camp site is set up so you can cook with an open fire or charcoal briquettes.
NO buffalo chips please.

All of our DOG's and Rallies are open to anyone that cooks with cast iron, would like to learn about cooking with cast iron, or would just like to bring a dish to pass, hanging around and eat with us. Don't forget your chairs and something to drink.

If you have already purchased your cast iron, bring it, all your fixens to cook and anything you will need to prepare it. If you do not know how to cook with your cast iron let me show you how. Come early and I will help you get started.

On I -40 take Exit 417 to Dandridge, TN. Turn south on 92 [at bottom of ramp]. Follow 92 over big green bridge. Go about 7 miles to Indian Creek Road [also 363] and turn left. Go less than 1 mile to Sandy Ridge Road and turn left. Go about 1/2 mile to Stillhouse Road [just past white picket fence on your left] and turn right. Go to first road on your right at bottom of steep hill. Turn onto Very Old Barton Trail and follow to our house. We have all the huge rocks at our driveway. Also look for the DOG at the end of our Drive.

Our dog does not play well with others so you might want to leave your dog at home. Thank You

“I wasn’t born a cowboy but I’m getting there as fast as I can“. Dutchstream

Visit my web site for photos, recipes, accessories for sale and coming events

dutchstream4757.webs.com dutchstream47@gmail.com

Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #270
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Eastern Virginia ALERT

There's a lovely store called "Kitchen Barn" in Hilltop Shopping Center in Virginia Beach - they just moved to bigger quarters and today when I went in to visit

THEY HAD EVERY PIECE OF LODGE EVER MADE - or darn close. Lid lifters, Tripods, 7 or 8 classic dutch ovens, corn fritter pans - and a new kind of skillet that is lighter weight than Cast Iron too. It's more like Wok Iron.

They even had slip on covers for all of the skillet handles, and even a panini maker. You get the two burner grill/griddle and then they have a thing that looks like a lid with a panini grill on the bottom - do both sides at once!

If you're in VA Beach stop in for a visit.

Paula
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #271
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
On Feb 23, 2013 I helped “Grumpy’s Grub” cook at the Chuckwagon Cook Off. Here is how we placed; Meat- 2 place, Bread- 1 place, and Dessert-3 place. I enjoyed helping. I’ll help them again next year.

This Saturday March 9, 2013 Cartersville, Georgia is hosting a Chuckwagon Cook Off at “Booth Western Art Museum”. Lunch is served at 12 noon to 1PM. We leave tomorrow morning for the event. If you are in the area stop by and watch these cowboys do their cooking. It’s a different way of cooking. I started using wood last year and found it to be just as easy as charcoal. It is easier to carry all the charcoal than it is to haul that much wood.
On March 23, 2013 we will be holding our March DOG at our house. If you are in our area come over and cook with us. If you are not able to cook just bring a dish to pass and visit with us.
DOG
Dandridge, TN
We eat around 5PM.
GPS 272 Very Old Barton Trail
Zip 37725
Jim Rogers 865-803-3963
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #272
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I watched a wonderful Dutch oven cooking demo at the Florida State Rally last month. I learned so much that I can't wait to put into practice. There were dozens of tips such as rotating the base one-half turn in one direction and the top one-half turn in the opposite direction every 30 minutes to even the cooking temperature inside, the ratio of charcoal for the different size ovens and increasing the coals on top from the bottom. The demonstrator said he gets 45 minutes to an hour from Kingston charcoal. He said to just get the coals started, not wait for them to get white. And he had great tips for maintaining the oven's seasoning, equipment to use to lift the lid and use of a trivet to protect the serving table and get the oven out of the dirt. But the smartest thing, I thought, was the brilliant use of the Werner platform ladder instead of expensive and heavy stands. What a great seminar! I could go on and on but I'll let a picture do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	180359  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #273
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
For our June DOG we had a small but fun group. We caught Dave three times with drink or food in his mouth. Do not crack a joke when someone has a drink or food in their mouth. When you see Anne ask her why she was singing "Chestnuts Roasting Over A Fire". We also had Anne cooking in her Dutch Oven.

See ya'all for our 4th of July Dog on July 6, 2013. We are going to have FIRE WORKS. You will not want to miss this event.

We also have a new Lady's room and lounge added to our town of "DOGWOOD". You will have to come here to see it. Sorry guys you still have to use the twig in front of the restroom or any other tree you can find.

The town is really growing. 2 adults, 4 kids, one horse [for the sheriff], 1 black cat and one BIG rat gnawing on a leg.

Our Side by side refrigerator also died on us. We asked around and Dave said he had a refrigerator we could have. Now we will have a place to put out cold stuff again. Thank you Dave.

Feel free to leave comments here .

Jim & Regina
Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #274
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One Loaf at a Time

I found this great recipe, and can't wait to try it at home....with a full-sized frig. Some of you with more space may want to try this out. The recipe also looks like it could be easily halved.

The Master Recipe: Whole Grain Artisan Bread - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

After reading a related article on vital wheat gluten, I did buy some and added a tablespoon of it to the single, loaf-on-the-road I made in the DO a couple of days ago, and it produced excellent results! A tighter grain and better keeping quality, just as advertised.

We are on day three with that loaf, and it is still fresh enough to eat out-of-hand. After day two, we are usually at toast and french toast. The tighter grain also allows for nicer slices, less crumbling as it ages.

Last time we were in Trader Joe's, I noticed they have a box of small packets of mixed seeds, which would be perfect when traveling, for sprinkling on top.

Thought some of you fellow DO bakers might want to experiment with this. A fresh loaf of homemade bread is one of life's little pleasures.

Maggie
Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #275
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thought some of you fellow DO bakers might want to experiment with this. A fresh loaf of homemade bread is one of life's little pleasures.
Anyone got a recipe for authentic pumpernickel?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #276
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't, but I'm sure you could find one. Google it.

I have a rye bread recipe I make sometimes, that takes all day. Don't have it with me, but if you're interested I can send it when we get home. Very dark, has a little unsweetened cocoa powder, molasses and caraway seeds. Tastes heavenly, but a lengthy process.

Maggie
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #277
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I hope you will post that rye bread recipe if not private message it to me as well. Sounds great!
Thanks in advance,
J
Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #278
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will, but it will be a bit.

Don't know why you couldn't bake that in the DO, too. Would be fun for a Sat. Nite rally potluck.

Maggie
Old 09-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #279
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I read somewhere that folding rather than rolling bread dough makes a nicer loaf with a denser crumb. This one came out beautifully. (Upside down, damn Ipad)

18 coals on top, 8 on the bottom, rotating lid and base per usual every 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, I moved all the top coals to the edge, which allowed this to brown nicely without burning the center.

Don't know why this loaf became so large.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	196417  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #280
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Rye Bread Recipe

I was gently reminded that I had promised to post this when we got home....but had not.

In my own defense, we came home a bit early to help with kiddies due to eldest son having surgery, and have also been busy readying stick house/yard and Interstate for winter.

I have never made this bread in the DO, nor used any method other than by hand. I am sure you could bake it in a DO, don't know anything about bread machines and whether it would work in one of those.

This is an old recipe which I have had about 40 years, since a young adult who was just learning to bake homemade bread.

Set aside a full day for this, as it rises slowly. If you like full-flavored, dark rye bread, it is worth the wait.

Heidelberg Rye Bread

Mix together in large bowl:
1 cup lukewarm water, 1/3 cup dark molasses, 2 tablespoons caraway seed, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder (not hot chocolate mix, the dark, unsweetened)

Soak for 5 minutes: 2 packages or 2 tablespoons active dry yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Add to above.

Beat 2 cups rye flour into this mixture, along with 1 tablespoon shortening (like Crisco) and 2 tablespoons salt. I use a sturdy whisk or batter beater for this. Beat it good and hard, til your arm gets tired, it will help develop the gluten and save some kneading. If you have a large mixer with a dough hook, even better.

Add 2 1/2-3 cups unbleached white flour, 1 cup at a time, to make a firm but kneadable dough, kneading it in by hand and adding in smaller amounts as dough gets stiff. Knead til smooth and elastic, which can take 8-10 minutes.

Place dough in oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover tightly and let rise in a warm place til double, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. A plate or elastic bowl cover works very well for this.

Shape into 2 loaves, let rise covered in oiled 9x5" bread pans, turning loaves to coat, another hour or two, til nearly double.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven about 40 minutes. Cool on racks.

The aroma will be heavenly, you will want to tear into it as soon as it comes out of the oven. If you can, let it cool an hour or so, and it will slice better.

Post a picture, here.

Maggie