Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #239
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I can't answer for Richard, but can tell you you can make an excellent and very simple cobbler with a) good cobbler filling, such as Cracker Barrel's, and b) canned biscuits or bisquick mixed per directions.

Can do this for as few or as many as you like. We do it for two-four in our 8" DO, with one of the small cans of biscuits. Use a DO liner, pour in your choice of filling, drop/place the dough on top and sprinkle lightly with sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Bake and enjoy.

Maggie

Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #240
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Has anyone used their Cast Iron Dutch Oven like Emeril's 5-in-1 cast iron smoker

Amazon.com: Emerilware 5-in-1 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Smoker: Kitchen & Dining

with success?

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #241
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Has anyone used their Cast Iron Dutch Oven like Emeril's 5-in-1 cast iron smoker

Amazon.com: Emerilware 5-in-1 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Smoker: Kitchen & Dining

with success?
I've used stainless baking pans and even disposable roasting pans covered with foil as a smoker with success. I imagine a DO would work quite nicely as well. Just be aware that the flavor is not the same because the wood smolders and there is no combustion as there is on a grill, but it is a good flavor. I especially like it for fish.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I tried smoking in my DO, and it absorbed the smoke. It took several days and lots of newspaper to get the smell out; air dried
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Maggie. I already bought the cake mix today, so I'm hoping to hear from Richard about his cake mix recipe. However, yours sounds very good too, and if I don't hear from him, I'll probably give yours a try.

Deb

PS -- I tried (for the first time) cooking in our Lodge camp dutch oven outdoors (here at home) with charcoal about two weeks ago. I lined it with foil (heavy duty), then sprayed that and cooked: baby back ribs; red potatoes; red and yellow sweet peppers; vidalia onions; green beans; and black-eyed peas. It may sound like a mis-mash of food, but it all tasted really, really good, we didn't have to throw any food out! And, I want to say that it was so very easy.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #244
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Deb,

You might find what you're looking for in here, lots of great recipes and tips.

Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

We keep a couple of jars of cobbler filling in our storage-turned-pantry area of the Interstate, along with a couple of small cans of biscuits in the frig. Great to pull out when you meet nice neighbors you want to share a fire and dessert with.

Have fun!

Maggie
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #245
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Westfield , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Deb,

You might find what you're looking for in here, lots of great recipes and tips.

Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

We keep a couple of jars of cobbler filling in our storage-turned-pantry area of the Interstate, along with a couple of small cans of biscuits in the frig. Great to pull out when you meet nice neighbors you want to share a fire and dessert with.

Have fun!

Maggie
What a nice idea, Maggie!

Lana
Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks again Maggie. Byron's "Peachy" cake recipe is close to the cherry cobbler, and I think it may have answered my question.

Deb
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Deb,

I thinking the recipe Richard was referring to is called a Dump cobbler.
What it is is your choice fruit (canned pie filling is quick and easy) in the bottom
then sprinkle the dry yellow cake mix, just open the box and dump. spread out
to even the layer, dot the whole thing with butter, put the lid on and bake.

It is the easiest of all cobblers.
Ted
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #248
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Here is another good cobbler to try.

Blueberry - Pineapple Cobbler
Compliments of Jim Rogers [AKA Dutchstream]
Baking Temperature 350
About 30 to 45 minutes

Dutch Oven diameter 12” R
Charcoal Briquettes 24 16 T / 8B

Recipe for 12” R
1 Can Crushed Pineapple
2 Cans Blueberries [Pie Filling]
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix [Or your choice]
1 Cup Butter, [Pats]

Oil bottom and sides of Camp Dutch Oven and pre-heat.
Mix pineapple with juice and blueberries in a bowl.
Pour mixture into Camp Dutch Oven.
Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of mixture and level.
Place 5 or 6 pats of butter on cake mix.
Cook about 30 to 45 minutes or until done.

I wasn't born a cowboy but I'm getting there as fast as I can
dutchstream4757.webs.com
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Jim,

Thanks for the blueberry/pineapply recipe (dutch oven), I plan to use it when we go out again.

I did try the cherry cobbler one. I used my own recipe for "fresh" frozen cherries as I do for a pie, and mixed a regular white cake mix and poured over the top of the cherries. (First, I lined the camp dutch oven with parchment paper and used non-stick spray on it, then poured in the cherry mixture.)

I followed your method of how many briquettes on the top, but I had to adjust for the bottom as we needed to use the fire ring and we scooted the fire to one side.

As it cooked, many other campers from other sites kept looking our way and some made comments about the smells coming from our dutch oven. It turned out very well and tasted great!

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #250
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I just got a 2002 Olympic Winter Games (cast in the lid) dutch oven and would like to know if anyone else has one that they have used? I plan to give it to my daughter who is the queen of cooking over fire, flame, and all things native.
Sandy
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #251
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
For those trying to make a cobbler in a dutch oven, I have found keeping it simple produces a great cobbler. I am a Boy Scout leader. The boys are suppose to prepare the meetings. Well I'm sure any leader can tell you, this does not always work. So, at one meeting, the boys were unprepared. I just happen to be hungry (by the way, for those not familiar with it, hungry is the 13 scout law). Anyways, I was scrambling for something to entertain the boys. I saw the DO, I saw a pack of apple cinnamon muffin mix. I search around and found a can of apple pie filling. So, I figured what the heck, since I had no bowls to mix with, I pored a 7up (looking back I'm not sure why 7up) into the pack of muffing mix. Mixed this up, poured it into the DO, poured the apple filling on top, cooked for 30 min or so and I had a cobbler. The boys now use this as their regular cobbler recipe.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #252
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
DOG
[Dutch Oven Gathering]
Aug. 27, 2011
Jim & Regina
272 Very Old Barton Trail
Dandridge, TN 37725
865-803-3963

We are having a DOG [Dutch Oven Gathering] at our house. We live on Douglas Lake. We have room for your camper [ no electric just water] if you want to come and stay for the week end. The main cooking will be on Saturday. Bring your Dutch Oven and come out and join the fun . Pots on the table around 6PM. Swimming, boating, camping and a big campfire to sit by and relax after a great meal prepared in a Dutch Oven.

Don't forget to bring your lawn chairs, utensils and something to drink. Our dog does not play well with others so you might want to leave your dog at home. We will eat around 6PM.

Directions [Some GPS are wrong]

On I -40 take Exit 417 to Dandridge, TN. Turn south on 92 [at bottom of ramp]. Follow 92 over big green bridge. Go about 7 miles to Indian Creek Road [also 363] and turn left. Go less than 1 mile to Sandy Ridge Road and turn left. Go about 1/2 mile to Stillhouse Road [just past white picket fence on your left] and turn right. Go to first road on your right at bottom of steep hill. Turn onto Very Old Barton Trail and follow to our house. We have all the huge rocks at our driveway. Turn right and follow gravel drive to your right. This will take you to our cooking area.