Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #281
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Speaking of rye bread recipes during WW1 Denmark was cut off from imported foods and had to fall back on what they could grow.

Nutrition expert Dr. Hindehede was in charge of rationing and food planning. He developed a new recipe for rye bread. Previously, they used 70% of the rye grain, the other 30% was discarded during the milling process. His formula used 140% of the rye, doubling the available bread rations.

Here is how he did it. He included 100% of the rye grain, bran and all. Plus 20% barley flour and 20% wheat bran.

He said this gave a lighter more palatable loaf, much nicer than the heavy, sour German black bread.

It is interesting that during this period of time the death rate in Denmark fell to the lowest ever recorded in a European country. All on a diet consisting of rye bread, barley porridge, potatoes, cabbage, and whatever fruits and vegetables they could grow. Beef and pork were available but the farmers kept them for themselves and you had to be rich to eat meat regularly. There were limited amounts of eggs and milk.

Infectious diseases like tuberculosis declined slightly but degenerative diseases like high blood pressure, heart disease, hardening of the arteries, diabetes, gout and arthritis nearly disappeared.

I thought it might be fun to try the good doctor's recipe, maybe with a shot of wheat germ for extra added vitamins.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #282
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I read somewhere that folding rather than rolling bread dough makes a nicer loaf with a denser crumb. This one came out beautifully. (Upside down, damn Ipad)

18 coals on top, 8 on the bottom, rotating lid and base per usual every 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, I moved all the top coals to the edge, which allowed this to brown nicely without burning the center.

Don't know why this loaf became so large.

Maggie
It looks yummy!!

I use the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day recipe at home in the DO/oven and it's always perfect.

I will try that recipe with your heat directions on your post.

:-)
samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #283
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post

Also to the others that wrote on this site. First Lodge does not make a 14" deep Camp Dutch Oven that is 11 quarts. It is a 14" deep at 10 quarts.
James,

I was reviewing posts in here looking for ideas and stuff for next spring Alumalina, we're doing a Dutch Oven cooking event Maggie is going to show her skills and, well I'll add what I can.

I saw the above about the deep DO that I own, here's the box info, 11qt for this 14DC02. I purchased this one about 2001 or so. Maybe I have 2 discontinued items, my 20" skillet and this DO.

Finding some good stuff.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	201032  
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #284
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Make it a "Rare" box, not DO

James,

Well, I was still puzzled by the 10qt vs. 11qt, little research and the 14DC on the Lodge website says 5" deep, simple enough. Measure, its 5" deep. But wait, look at the Lodge shipping label in the lower right corner, 10 qt but the box is 11 qt.

So instead of having a discontinued DO I think I have a miss printed BOX!

Back to recipes and technique.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch B.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	201099  
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #285
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
This last Feb. I bought a OwensboughO wagon. I had some repair on it to get it ready for the chuck box that I built for it. I have had a hard time finding some of the stuff for the wagon. I took it to a Bluegrass festival and did my first cooking with it. No competition Just cooking and selling to the public. I have entered in the Saddle Up cook off in Pigeon Forge next Feb. 22, 2014. Stop by and say howdy. Don't forget to wish me good lick. I'll need it.I'll be the guy with the old clothing on. LOL I'll also be in Cartersville on March 8, 2014 for the cook off there.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #286
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
PS I forgot to tell ya that our Airstream moho burnt to the ground last Memorial day. We were just 1 mile north of Corbin, KY. I was really sorry to see it go that way. RIP
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, James!

Too bad about your AS! Glad no one was hurt.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #288
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
James Rogers,

I have a old school hand made tripod that I have used for my 14" DO and will most likely use again on the tripod, but looking to prevent it from tipping on the hook. The bail doesn't have any center notch.

Any suggestions how to use it on the tripod hook and keep it from tipping?

Sorry to hear about the fire, that stinks.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #289
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
You don't really need a center notch. Just make sure food is centered and get the hook as close to the center of the bail as possible. You might have to tweak it a little but the pot will stay where you put it. I have done it many times with a roast, cobblers and stews. I didn't have any problems.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #290
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Hi Jim,
You guys coming to the Canopener this year? Haven't seen you on the sign up sheet.
Hope you and R have had a great year!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #291
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
It doesn't look like we will have time to come down for the canopener this year. I still have a lot of work to get my Chuckwagon ready for the cook off in Pigeon Forge, TN in Feb. I hope it's warm for you all.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #292
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hi Guys. Susan recently subscribed to a magazine called "Taste of the South". Their annual Cast-Iron issue came in the mail today. "47 Very Southern Recipes" says the cover story. Can't wait to try the Braised Beef Chili recipe. Hint, it starts with a 3 pound boneless chuck roast.

Cold weather=comfort food. Chili is my ambrosia.

Stay warm y'all.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #293
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Hint, it starts with a 3 pound boneless chuck roast. Cold weather=comfort food. Chili is my ambrosia. Stay warm y'all. Jim
Need pics but it sounds great.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
James Rogers,

I have a old school hand made tripod that I have used for my 14" DO and will most likely use again on the tripod, but looking to prevent it from tipping on the hook. The bail doesn't have any center notch.

Thanks,

Gary
We have used a couple of cable clamps on the handle of the dutch oven on either side of the tripod hook. Works great and you don't have to worry about your dinner ending up in the campfire!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #295
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
James Rogers,

Thanks,

Gary

we used two wire rope cable clamps. Tighten two nuts east on easy off. Put them about a half inch apart. Good luck
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #296
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
San Jose , California
Hi there,
Just want to say that "Dutch Oven Cooking for Dummies" is the best book to find everything you ever wanted to know about the subject with lots of recipes. Try it, you'll like it. I got mine at amazon or at your local Sportsman's Warehouse. I have about 6 or 8 other "Dutch Oven" cookbooks, Cee Dub is the best in that department.

Happy trails and cookoffs.
T-SQUARE
T-SQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
A simple little recipe I like to cook in my dutch oven;

With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready. Just a simple little dish you can whip up and have with some kind of meat.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That dish would re-season your DO very nicely, too.

Maggie
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #299
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
That dish would re-season your DO very nicely, too.
Everything is better with bacon!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
A simple little recipe I like to cook in my dutch oven;

With the lid off, fry up some bacon until almost crisp. While the bacon is frying, cut up some fresh, new red potatoes. Add the potatoes to the bacon and grease. Put the lid on and cook until done, usually 15-20 minutes, depending on how small you cut up the potatoes. Serve when ready. Just a simple little dish you can whip up and have with some kind of meat.

Wow!! Now that sounds delicious!