Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I went to the Corn Bread Festival last weekend. It was in South Pittsburg, TN. This is also where the Lodge factory is. After touring the plant we went into the main store. I was looking for a 12" deep. I found one but the price was $79.00. A little steep so I started looking around in the rest of the store. In the other room was the same oven for $49.99. A second but I could not tell what was wrong with it. So I bought 2 at the $49.00 price. We also bought a few more things. I also got to meet Johnny Nix.

I just returned from camping with the East TN Unit in Walland, TN. If you want a great lid lifter you should go to the camping and hiking shop at the far end of Townsend [close to the National park entrance]. Don't buy your Dutch Oven there, the prices are really high. A 12' Deep was $99.00 and I bought 2 for that price.

Maybe I'll see some of you at the Springstream rally in Hiawassee, Georgia, on May 15, 2009.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #156
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have found that googling Lodge Cast Iron turns up many places who sell it, often on sale and with free shipping, worth the time to look if you are ordering something.

We have used our 8" several times now, and it is the perfect size for the two of us. A jar of Cracker Barrel cobbler filling with a topping is just enough for dessert one night and breakfast the next morning. Pillsbury crescent roll dough with a little cinnamon sugar on top makes a nice, easy topping, everything bakes up in 20-30 minutes.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
I have had a few people email me about putting together a Dutch Oven Air Stream rally. So here goes.
Date: October 2 & 3, 2009
Where: Ripplin’ Water Campgrounds
Sevierville, TN

Ripplin’ Waters Campground is located 5 miles off I-40 at Exit 407. I will see if I can get a few sites on the river reserved for us.

Keep an eye on this sight for more details. I am trying to learn how to make a thread so we can have only the DOG traffic.

Tell everyone you know the DOG[ Dutch Oven Gathering]

Jim
Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #158
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would so love to be there, will be in Pennsylvania at that time! Have a great time and cook some wonderful things for us, we will try to be at the next one!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #159
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I have had a few people email me about putting together a Dutch Oven Air Stream rally. So here goes.
Date: October 2 & 3, 2009
Where: Ripplin’ Water Campgrounds
Sevierville, TN

Ripplin’ Waters Campground is located 5 miles off I-40 at Exit 407. I will see if I can get a few sites on the river reserved for us.

Keep an eye on this sight for more details. I am trying to learn how to make a thread so we can have only the DOG traffic.

Tell everyone you know the DOG[ Dutch Oven Gathering]

Jim

Jim,

Sounds like a fun weekend. I recommend you start a thread for this and make sure and get it on the rally calender so that it gets maximum exposure. If I am still in TN at that point, I may head over myself.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #160
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ta daaaaaa!! Bread in the Dutch Oven today, no pan nor trivet used, it did not burn and is delicious!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	84750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	84751  

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	84752  
Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Looks perfect~
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Doug&Maggie, It DOES look great! How did it taste? From scratch? Recipe!
ted
Old 07-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #163
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It tasted wonderful, and was very crusty. This was the single-loaf recipe I had worked up and posted in #134 on this thread. Divided it in half because it made a really huge loaf of bread. Will have to work on that. You could use any recipe you like, using cooked oatmeal and some whole wheat flour is a favorite of ours. We use those refrigerated French bread loaves sometimes, also think the frozen loaves would work well. Anything baking outdoors smells heavenly.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #164
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Dandridge , Tennessee
Air Stream - Dutch Oven Rally 2009
Date: October 1 - 4 ,2009

Ripplin’ Waters Campground
Ripplin' Waters Campground & Cabin Rentals, Sevierville, Tennessee
1930Winfield Dunn Parkway [Highway 66]
Sevierville, TN 37876
1-888-747-7546 or 865-453-4169
Your hosts are: Jim & Regina 865-803-3963

UPDATE!! We just received confirmation from the BUSH Bean Company. We have a tour of the factory set up for Friday, October 2nd at 10:00 a.m.!! We will leave the campgrounds at 9:00a.m. with our “caravan of cars”. The Bush Bean Company is an extremely “forward thinking” company, having been a “green” company before anyone knew what going “green” meant! You will not want to miss this very educational and interesting tour. Unfortunately, Bush Bean Company does not operate on weekends, so the tour had to be on Friday, so we have extended this rally by one day and will start things on Thursday for all those who are able to get there Thursday afternoon/evening.

RAFFLE: Bring an unwrapped item to give away at the RAFFLE on Saturday night after dinner.

RECIPE EXCHANGE: For all those delectable Dutch Oven meals that you plan to prepare, please bring copies of the recipes so that we can share our recipes with everyone. After all, we’re always looking for good DO recipes, aren’t we?

THURSDAY EVENING: Meet and greet at pavillion around 7PM. At this point we’re thinking that dinner will be “on your own”, but depending on the response and input we get from you all, we can do a pot luck or put our pennies together and order pizza or something like that.

FRIDAY MORNING; Breakfast on your own then load up by 9 AM for Bush Bean tour. On our return trip to the campgrounds from the Bush Bean Company, all those interested can stop with us for lunch at Clint’s BBQ (Dutch treat). It is a local restaurant, not a chain, for all those who like to try “local flavor”. We have something special planned for all those who are able to join us at Clint’s.

FRIDAY EVENING: 6:30PM at our site. This will be a pot luck dinner (Dutch Oven or other), combined with another MEET and GREET for all those new arrivals to mix and mingle with the early arrivals.

SATURDAY BRUNCH: 9 AM. We will have the use of the pavillion for a pot luck breakfast. Bring a dish to share [preferably cooked in your Dutch Oven].

After brunch we will do a TOUR OF HOMES. This would be voluntary. If you would like to open your motor home or trailer let us know. We will give you a sign to hang in your front window stating OPEN HOUSE.

SATURDAY EVENING Happy hour starts at 5 o’clock [bring your drink of choice]. At 6 or so we will have another pot luck dinner. This will be our Dutch Oven dinner for those that are only planning on preparing one meal in their Dutch Oven. After dinner we will start the [twisted] RAFFLE. Don’t forget your tickets.

SUNDAY MORNING The campground provides church service in the pavillion at 10 AM. If anyone is interested we will do pot luck breakfast at our site.

Don’t forget to bring your own utensils, cups and plates to each meal as well as a big appetite.
ALSO - does anyone have a large coffee pot and would like to be in charge of making coffee???
Stay tuned for further updates - we’re planning to have some more surprises…….

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-53954.htnl

Don't forget to go to the rally calendar and register
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #165
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Apple Almond Tart

I adapted this recipe slightly from one I recently saw in a magazine. The original recipe called for topping with slivered almonds and baking on a cookie sheet.

We baked this in our 8" Dutch Oven, but you could use a larger one or a cast iron skillet for a flatter product. It is very easy, deliciously creamy and heavenly warm.

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
1 can almond paste
3-5 peeled and sliced apples, sufficient to mound nicely on your crust
sugar

Spray Dutch Oven with Pam, then press crust onto the bottom, bringing about 2 1/2 " crust up the sides. Slice almond paste and place onto crust, press together slightly to more-or-less cover the bottom. Spread apples over the almond paste into a nice, thick layer. Pull and stretch edges gently as you fold them in. (Edges will be irregular and not meet in the center.) Sprinkle all liberally with granulated sugar.

Bake in 8" oven with 20 coals, 8 on bottom and 12 on top, for about 1 hour, rotating every 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	87943  
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
How do I clean untended cast iron Dutch oven to get it back to a stage where it can be seasoned and then safely used fro cooking?

I inherited Grandpa Farnsworth’s camping gear including pots and pans (and nice cane fly rods). Seems he liked Griswold cast iron skillets and Dutch oven.

Where to begin? They’ve been sitting in a foot locker uncovered for 30+ years.
Some surface rust & old crud. Is lye soaking and brass brushing still done?
How do you resurrect without destroying old temper/patina?

The Dutch Oven lid has a small knob handle as opposed to lifting ring, can that characteristic be used to date /model id?
how did you finally clean your Dutch Oven. I've just joined and I saw your post dated May of this year.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
T-Square,
The best way to clean a DO is, 1. NEVER use soap, add about 1" water and heat the pot, Use a still plastic scrapper to clean the excess food, and then a green scotch bright pad and scrub it clean.
If it is the old rust your worried about the put will have to be reseasoned, scrub with steel wool pad, rinse well to get all the falllout off. preheat your kitchen oven to 350,
coat the inside and outside with a good quality vegetable oil, lid included. Bake for 45 minutes do not put the lid on the pot. Shut the oven off, let the pot cool awhile then wipe off the excess oil. Should be good enough to cook in. Enjoy
Ted
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I forgot to add to the first line,

once the pot is clean off food, dry, reheat a little, and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and wipe the internal surface with a paper towel.
ted