Old 10-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member
Denver , Colorado
We went out for our second trip in our 20' Flying Cloud and used the oven to cook lasagne (pre-made at home, never cooked and frozen) and for some breakfast burritos (also frozen). Oven worked well, it heated up fast (it's so small...). We will definitely use again.

ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We have traditional Friday nights with homemade flatbread pizza and movie night at home....and recently were successful with Airstream FB 20' home and homemade flatbread pizza and video of Breaking Bad!!!! Admittedly, I did do some time sitting on the galley floor to prevent burning failures and "crisping to perfection" but it was delicious!

FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
We find the oven too hot to use during the summer months. It just heats up our AS too much. Does everyone run the stove vent or a Fantastic Fan to suck out the heat? Our microwave is bolted to cabinets over the sink. I wish I could replace it with a convection/microwave but they require air space over the unit. I'd have to build a rack the hangs down to cradle a small table top convection/microwave oven.

We carry a small toaster oven to bake cookies to eat while watching a movie. We used to use it to make toast but discovered it didn't work well so we also have a 2 slice toaster. These items are stored under the side couch in our Classic 25fb.

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We used the oven this past weekend for the first time. I guess I got a bad oven thermometer as it took forever to warm up to the requested 450 degree heat and then cook the store brought meals. When we got them out, we had cremated them...

High altitude and propane are not the best friends in terms of efficiency. We popped the spuds into the microwave and need to learn the proper time between undercooked and tougher than cardboard.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Well, my test this past weekend in dealing with the convection micro-oven turntable slip issue was a dismal failure. The silicon trivet I used, supposedly heat resistant to 625, turned to a goo when placed between the turntable and a casserole at 375 for 35m. I guess pressure factors in a variable unaccounted for. Thankfully the issue I was trying to solve for - that things slide on the nonstick turntable into walls and stop rotating when the trailer is ever slightly off center - made cleanup of the oven easy to handle once things cooled down again.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Fors F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Convection / Microwave makes me smile because DW ALWAYS has fresh cookies, biscuits, muffins, or cinnamon rolls ready almost before I have the EB set up! (Yes, she shares with our friends ... it is wonderful to have fresh chocolate chip cookies still with the chips melting - to offer to fellow campers. We often take a plate to those poor souls outside in the cold / tenters. I am a lucky guy!

Can you give a quick lesson on how the convection microwave oven works for you?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I ordered my trailer with the Sharp Convection/Microwave. While I think I am relatively intelligent, I found this the most diabolically designed appliance I ever owned (past tense). After less than a year, I took it out and replaced it with an Amana oven that has worked perfectly. Some things just need to be baked. There was just enough room under the thermal oven for a Cuisinart Microwave/Convection. Granted you have to get on the floor to use it (and the dogs are VERY helpful with this), but it solved my issue of wanting both a thermal and microwave. This problem goes away when my '15 Classic arrives as it has both. AND, it has the way cool new Dometic cooktop/oven. It'll get a workout!
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I ordered my unit with the microwave/convection oven option and no gas oven. We first wanted the gas oven, then after 3 years of camping in a camper with a gas oven I realized we never used it once. I hope we made the right decision.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
We quite literally use our oven 2 trips out of three. We make croissants, pizza as well as use it to reheat in lieu of a microwave.
On a trip to the CA coast, my wife once made an on-the-fly blackberry pie in my cast iron skillet when we came across a trove of wild blackberries. That surprised the Brits camping next to us that our "caravan has a real kitchen."
I wanted a microwave up front but now have no interest.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #66
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
I've got a convection microwave, and a gas oven... You just can't hide money!

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
We don't have a microwave, so we use our oven regularly. When the pilot is lit, it's just warm enough inside to dry damp towels on the top rack. We keep a hanging oven thermometer inside it to give a better read on the temperature when cooking. My wife also rigs a diffuser under whatever she's cooking in to distribute the heat more evenly (helps avoid burning around the edges especially on brownies, sweet rolls, etc.). Lighting the pilot is simple once you know the procedure. We have only had a problem once after traveling on a really rough road. It sheered the propane fuel line off at the back of the pilot/burner. My wife discovered it when she went to light the pilot and got a face full of flame from the broken fuel line instead. Thinking she did something wrong, she tried it again with the same result (she admits to being blonde). Then she came to find me (sans eyebrows) and told me what happened. It didn't take me long to figure out how and where the fuel line was broken. We didn't use the oven that week of camping and had it repaired by pros at the first opportunity. Fortunately, we were still able to use the stove top.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I have the Sharp Microwave Convection oven and I love it. My only gripe is the display is hard to read unless you're at eye level. But otherwise, it works great.

What I have finally figured out is to use it as a microwave just like any microwave, I just remove the rack, enter time and hit Start.

When I want to use the convection oven, I don't bother with the COMPU features. I just press CONVEC, preheat the oven, enter time, put the food on the rack and his Start. If the recipe calls for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, that's the time and temperature I use and it works great.

I did find the instructions very confusing. So for my own sanity I typed up my own "cheat sheet" instructions and produced my own instruction manual. As I said, I never use the Compu features, so I pretty much stick with pages 1-4 of my instructions. But the Compu instructions are there if needed.

I converted my Word document to PDF and I'm attaching it here. If you have the Sharp microwave convection oven, hopefully you'll find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp_Convection_Microwave.pdf (377.2 KB, 150 views)
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We make nachos, putting the cookie sheet with chips and cheese at the bottom under the burner (like a broiler). I'll be baking frozen pretzels in the oven this weekend for our Oktoberfest gathering at Northern Illinois Rally.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
As a side, BUT getting you into the spirit of USING your oven -- Cook's Illustrated did one of their specialty editions in recent years on "Make Ahead Recipes" -- if you can find this (or these, they may be routinely out in different recipe selections,) check them out. I have two great recipes for chicken pot pies and lasagnas, that are both frozen and both sit in the aluminum "mini bread" containers -- making it easy to pull out of the freezer, brush some butter on the crust (in the case of the pot pie) and drop them in the oven for an easy and amazing dinner to impress.

Alton Brown also has a great blueberry pie disc recipe that gives out frozen pie blanks, you just drop into a store bought crust, add some quick pie crust or lattice onto and bake for another amazing dessert (or breakfast as is oft my case...)

Someones variant on the Chicken Pot Pie:
Make-Ahead Mini Chicken Pot Pies | Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms

And Alton's blueberry blanks:
Frozen Blueberry Pie Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote